NEW IOWA COACH

97Hawks

I'd feel good about Gary Close, Assistant at Wisky.
Knows the Big Ten
Good Recruiter

Assistants: Jess Settles, Acie Earl, others...

I'd feel good about Gary Close, Assistant at Wisky.
Knows the Big Ten
Good Recruiter

Assistants: Jess Settles, Acie Earl, others...

Ya lets bring in 2 Low level Iowa HIGH SCHOOL ASSISTANTS..
Great Hawks but we would suck worse then we do now.

Why not the current Butler coach?
Maybe he could get this "Butler System" working?

<sarcasm>

Iowa needs a coach:
-With BCS conference experience (knows what it takes to compete)
-Uptempo style
-Energy, charisma and personality
-Recruiting ties
-Experienced staff

BUT this doesn't mean we can get a Bill Self, Bruce Pearl, Roy Williams, etc. type coach. Just need to find someone from a BCS school with those characteristics.

If the last two hires have proven anything, it's that good assistant coaches are just as important as the head coach. Regardless of who the coach is he needs assistants who already have solid midwest recruiting connections. This should be one of the main requirements, Iowa can't waste another two or three years just trying to establish connections with high school and aau coaches around this area.

Close seems worthy of consideration. Still has solid Iowa recruitting connections. Heck he stole Bohannon out of our backyard to Wisky. He's a solid guy, very fundamental and while not in an uptempo system today, knows is well from the Tom Davis era. Clearly a rounded composition of assistants is needed. However a tie to the program in Settles would bring energy to the fan base. Settles is a great teacher/communicator. Was one of the smartest (court prescense) on the court over the past 15 years at Iowa. Certainly, the remainder of the staff need solid assistant or smaller head coaching experience. I don't think anyone can discount this out of hand. Sure there are ample other directions and possibilities, but this too has merit.

If the last two hires have proven anything, it's that good assistant coaches are just as important as the head coach. Regardless of who the coach is he needs assistants who already have solid midwest recruiting connections. This should be one of the main requirements, Iowa can't waste another two or three years just trying to establish connections with high school and aau coaches around this area.

Agree totally. The next coach has got to be able to recruit, or we'll end up no better off than we've been the past 3 years. I believe that totally. It all starts with recruiting.

Close would be fine with me, love the Acie Earl as an assistant to, who better than to teach the big men how to score and play defense?

Anyone think we have at least a bb shot at Bruce Pearl?

I don't know if we have a real chance or not, but I say try to throw the bank (within our means of course) at him and see what happens. At least make the call. Wasn't there talk that Pearl enjoyed living in Iowa? Maybe he'd like to come back. :)

I think Pearl would have to take somewhere in the neighborhood of a 50% pay cut to come coach at Iowa, assuming we gave him what we are giving Lick. I imagine we'd bump that up, but how far would we have to go to lure him away?

Close would be fine with me, love the Acie Earl as an assistant to, who better than to teach the big men how to score and play defense?

Does Acie Earl have recruiting connections? Would he be an improvement at all over the assistants we have now? Yes he was a good player at Iowa, but that alone doesn't mean much. We need assistants with recruiting connections, guys who have already been recruiting at a major college level and now what is needed, not assistants who have been coaching at low level Iowa high schools.

Latest posts