New Article: Taking a Peek at the Iowa Men's Basketball Roster

Re: New Article: Taking a Peak at the Iowa Men's Basketball Roster

You feelin' COTY for Fran or .......?

Stormin

love your optimism! we need to get behind this staff and be patient, this staff can coach and run a program, their PR in the off-season has been outstanding, the key will be recruiting, they just need to get a couple of breaks. GO Hawkeyes

I'm excited to see our new players! Kind of a reality check when you think about all of last year's struggles, and the players we lost off of that team.

I'm not overly optimistic on this team, there will be a lot of things going against them. The Big Ten is stacked again this year, the team will have new offense/defense to learn (although the set plays are much fewer than the last offense), and the starting lineup will be filled by underclassmen. It will be back to back years that Iowa will likely have two true freshman in the starting lineup. A lot of new faces on the team, but anything can happen. One thing is for sure, the style of play should be much more interesting to watch.

I'm not overly optimistic on this team...

I like your reserved optimism, Spank. Probably a good thing to have realistic expectations like this. Wasn't it last season you wrote a ten-part column detailing why the Iowa Men's Basketball team would be much improved last year? I'm sure a lot of people felt and expected the same.

Regardless of record, I'm hoping CHA will come alive again this year.

Love reading about Hawk basketball. My 6 year old son and I were out in the driveway the other day shooting some hoops. At the end we counted down the clock and he hit the game-winner. I said, "Hawks win!" His reply, "Dad, the Hawks don't have a basketball team." I grew up watching Carfino, Boyle, Payne, Stokes, etc... My son only knows my passion for IA fb. How sad is that?

I know Coach Fran mentioned that Marble will start in Gatens' absence, but I wonder if we'll go with Cartwright running the 1 and Cully the 2. Cartwright has a ton more experience, and I think it's important for this team to try to get out of the gate quickly in more ways than one. I think Marble is going to be very solid, but coaches love experience.

If we can get hustle, defense, and screening out of Brommer and Cole, we could be a much-improved team. Neither is a scoring post, but they can get garbage buckets on weak side rebounds. Also, it sounds like we may be able to go with a smaller lineup if we are going with some matchup zones and presses so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lineup of Cully/Cartwright, Gatens, May, McCabe, and Basabe.

Go Hawks!

Beyond a couple posters above no one has really picked up on misuse of "peak" instead of "peek." And now I notice the same error has continued into the headline on the Hawkeye Nation home. Someone needs to fix these.

I like your reserved optimism, Spank. Probably a good thing to have realistic expectations like this. Wasn't it last season you wrote a ten-part column detailing why the Iowa Men's Basketball team would be much improved last year? I'm sure a lot of people felt and expected the same.

Regardless of record, I'm hoping CHA will come alive again this year.

Last year the series was on Why Iowa Basketball Would Be Better Than You Think. The gist being that everyone's expectations were so low, that they would be a surprise to most. Problem is, a couple of the main reasons I thought they'd be better blew up. Tucker couldn't stay straight and players still couldn't find the groove in "the system" by year three. I certainly expected more than 10 wins last year, I thought 15 or 16 was well in reach. Didn't happen though.

Iowa needs its fans back in the seats, McCaffery is doing everything he can to get the excitement back up.

Beyond a couple posters above no one has really picked up on misuse of "peak" instead of "peek." And now I notice the same error has continued into the headline on the Hawkeye Nation home. Someone needs to fix these.

Well, in all fairness, it was on the main headline first when I put it there. :eek:

Well, in all fairness, it was on the main headline first when I put it there. :eek:

This former newspaper editor didn't think it worked. But that was back in the day and print. Perhaps online is different. :)

I'm not overly optimistic on this team, there will be a lot of things going against them. The Big Ten is stacked again this year, the team will have new offense/defense to learn (although the set plays are much fewer than the last offense), and the starting lineup will be filled by underclassmen. It will be back to back years that Iowa will likely have two true freshman in the starting lineup. A lot of new faces on the team, but anything can happen. One thing is for sure, the style of play should be much more interesting to watch.

While I agree with Stormin on this, I will say that by next year and especially in 2 years Iowa will be the veteran and most experienced team in Big Ten. So while taking lumps this season will be tough to watch, it will pay dividends down the road.

Iowa needs its fans back in the seats, McCaffery is doing everything he can to get the excitement back up.

I bought tickets to the exhibition game this weekend. My 15 month old son will be making his first (of what will hopefully be many) trip(s) to Carver...can't say that I'd be making the trip if Lick was still here. Not that I didn't support the basketball team before, but McCaffery has said and done all the right things so far and it has swung the pendulum back from apathy towards that of cautious optimism, at least for me.

I can't remember how long it's been since I've been this excited about a basketball game while football season was in full swing, and this game is just an exhibition!

Latest posts