New 2010 signee

We desperately needed to sign a PG, if nothing else, to give Cully a break. This was big, esp now we can practice 5 on 5 with two scholarship PGs.

Where does Archie fit in this? Cougs? Brommer?

I'd guess that Archie will primarliy play the 5 and Brommer and Cougs get time at the 4. From what I've seen Basbee can play both 3 and 4. I have no clue on the rotations or degree of PT I was only saying the proposed lineup I commented on wouldn't be used very often.

The only thing I'm sure of in next year's line-up (besides Gatens) is May. He's the returning player with the most offensive upside and I'll be surprised, with our current roster, if May and Gatens aren't the 2 top scorers this year. How much Payne or Cartwright will play depends on how much we need Payne's offense or Cartwright's ball-handling and defense at any given time.

About the 4-5
Fran said something about Basabe's abilities that struck me. He said that Basabe was someone he could see at the point or the back of the press. The other player we have coming in who might be good at the back of a press is Archie. Perhaps we should think of Basabe and Archie playing the same position in Fran's style of play and then also Cole and Cougill playing the same position.

UncleHawk

Stormin, if Cartright comes in and really does a bang-up job running the point, do you think Cully moves to the 2-spot? Or does Fran rotate both at the 1? Seeing that we are not flush with PGs, my guess is the latter most nights -- one spells the other. However, we really don't know much yet about the way Fran incorporates players into his sys ... style of play.

The only thing I'm sure of in next year's line-up (besides Gatens) is May. He's the returning player with the most offensive upside and I'll be surprised, with our current roster, if May and Gatens aren't the 2 top scorers this year. How much Payne or Cartwright will play depends on how much we need Payne's offense or Cartwright's ball-handling and defense at any given time.

I'm curious as to why you think May has so much offensive potential? I think people confuse the ability to elevate with the ability to score on this board. May is not a pure shooter, has poor handles for a guard, doesn't post-up, and only got to the basket with a hard right hand dribble when he had a clear lane.

I highly doubt May is ever going to develop a smooth offensive game, where he can change direction with the ball and get defenders off balance with his dribble. I think he is certainly a useful player, but he is the wing version of a garbage man. A guy that get his points of cutting to the basket with out the ball, finishing on the break, hitting open jumpers (I think he can develop that), collecting offensive rebounds, ect... I don't think his upside is that of an offensive scorer.

I also think he and Gatens need to play less this year (in the 25-30 minute range, and guys with more offensive creativity need more time on the court (if we have some). Hopefully that is guys like Payne and Marble.

Fran wants to attack the basket. I won't be surprised to see Cartwright and Payne on the floor together some this season.

I have opined in the past that Cully was somewhat like Drew Nietzel. Nietzel was a pg in hs, then came to MSU and started at pg,then moved to shooting guard with Travis Walton at pg. Neitzel was also short,like Cully, for shooting guard,but he managed to be productive. I really hope that Cully gets some time playing off-guard and Bryce is able to set him up for some open looks from the perimeter. I think Cully will shoot the ball better this year..as most sophmores do. He has good shooting form. Also hope that May is shooting a 1000 3 pointers a day...he needs to be better from the arc if we are going to do anything. If Gatens,May and Payne can shoot the ball better from the arc, it should spread the floor for Cartwright to drive and dish to our paint guys.

Bottom line, Cartwright was a necessary addition to even hope to be competitive.
Now, schedule soft in the non-conference, beat ISU and UNI at CHA, and hope for a few home wins in conference...getting us close to .500...that is a realistic goal for this team.

Stormin, if Cartright comes in and really does a bang-up job running the point, do you think Cully moves to the 2-spot? Or does Fran rotate both at the 1? Seeing that we are not flush with PGs, my guess is the latter most nights -- one spells the other. However, we really don't know much yet about the way Fran incorporates players into his sys ... style of play.
"style of play" ... hahaha...

You're guess is as good as mine, but I would be very surprised if Cully and Cartwright didn't spell each other. You might get some overlapping minutes when Gatens and May need to come out - at that point, maybe 3 or 4 minutes with them both in. I don't know enough about the new guy's game to speak with any confidence, though. I'd really much rather have Cully at the 1, and looking at the stats, Cartwright doesn't seems to be a huge scorer, but who knows?

I'm curious as to why you think May has so much offensive potential? I think people confuse the ability to elevate with the ability to score on this board. May is not a pure shooter, has poor handles for a guard, doesn't post-up, and only got to the basket with a hard right hand dribble when he had a clear lane.

I highly doubt May is ever going to develop a smooth offensive game, where he can change direction with the ball and get defenders off balance with his dribble. I think he is certainly a useful player, but he is the wing version of a garbage man. A guy that get his points of cutting to the basket with out the ball, finishing on the break, hitting open jumpers (I think he can develop that), collecting offensive rebounds, ect... I don't think his upside is that of an offensive scorer.

I also think he and Gatens need to play less this year (in the 25-30 minute range, and guys with more offensive creativity need more time on the court (if we have some). Hopefully that is guys like Payne and Marble.

May's athleticism fits much better into an up-tempo game where he can fill a lane and not have to work for shots as much in a half-court. I expect his shooting and ball-handling to improve as he was just a freshman last year. Plus, I'm not the only one who thinks he has potential as he did make the 5-member all-Big Ten frosh team. On top of this, who else has the potential to put up big numbers in an up-tempo game? Cougill? Basabe? Cole? We will certainly depend on Payne and some freshman but an athletic player with a year of experience and already some all-league recognition seems a better bet for immediate output in a running game to me.

UncleHawk

Hopefully on the bench.
Sadly, it might actually be hopefully in DII.

We will all cross our fingers that the guy we see this year will be vastly different than the guy we saw last year in the PTL.

But as I said in another thread, I have not heard or seen anything about Archie through this whole ordeal. Heck, we even saw pictures of the existing walk-on. Nothing on Archie. PTL draft might tell us something.

May's athleticism is outstanding and his offensive skills will definitely improve without the restrictions of Lickball. The Hawks were afraid to shoot before the 30 second mark last year. They were confused and frustrated at times. This year, new ball game. May's defensive skills are also outstanding. He might be one of the best defenders ever at Iowa. Evan Turner praised his play against him last year. His timing is perfect and his shot blocking ability will get better and better. Under Fran's leadership and style this team has a very good shot at a 500 season. The Big Ten experience last year will pay dividends this year. Two all Big Ten rookies will also sweeten the pot.

Sadly, it might actually be hopefully in DII.

What IS the fascination with Archie? I remember thinking when he came to the Hawks, "why did we go after this guy?" He had virtually no offers and I remember at least one publication listing him as a one star recruit. I think Lick's tendency to bring up his name after losses, as an example of how lack of depth was hurting us, built up a notion in folks minds of this great big man in waiting. Lick was wrong about a lot of things, and DA, I honestly believe, will never be anything more than a space filler. He makes Brommer look like Acie Earl.

He makes Brommer look like Acie Earl.

To this point, I definitely agree. Let's face it, he looked a lot different than the other Hawk players at the time. Add to that Lick's comments about his athleticism and people had high hopes. That is until they saw him play.

I just think the people that keep bringing up his name have not seen him play. Probably the same people who were banking on the Field House Phenom to be the back up point guard, or who bought the Steve Forbes for Hawkeye Coach PR campaign.

Aw, the wonderful world of the Internet.

Latest posts