Nebraska opts out of any Bowl game?

Well...the players apparently said no. I wonder if the thought of having to spend more time with Frost was the driving factor.

If they didn't opt out...someone would have taken them...as the delusional base would follow...you could exploit them pretty easily to take their money.

Hmmm...where have I seen this lately...this seems so familiar...taking money from the base like candy from a baby?

Hawk living in enemy territory over here in Nebby. So what i find most interesting about it is Frost has rightly commented about the need to play more games. We've heard Ferentz talk about how important bowl prep is as a preparer and builder of guys in the program. How important those extra practices are for programs like Iowa/Wiscy the quote unquote developmental programs. Frost finally this year at times has thrown out that label over here that they need to be a developmental program. If that's the case, you want these bowl practices whether you go 2-8 or 6-6 or 10-2 or somewhere in between. Program missed a golden chance to improve itself. Continuing its progress of growing from a trashcan with flames in it to full out dumpster fire.
Exactly this!

You don't put it to a vote for the players decide. You get invited to a bowl game you accept the game and the extra practices. You put the players in the game that want to participate, the others can sit at home.

Nebraska is a mess and I'm loving it!

Because it's 2020 and the following teams made bowls:

North Texas @ 4-5
Houston @ 3-4
South Carolina @ 2-8
Western Kentucky @ 5-6
Mississippi ST @ 3-7
Tennessee @ 3-7
Arkansas @ 3-7
Kentucky @ 4-6
Ol Miss @ 4-5

Then, get this, Army got hosed out of any game @ 9-2

Really glad to see South Carolina on that list after such a stellar season. I love seeing proud programs like Nebby, Michigan, Michigan State take the high approach and say they won't be participating rather than getting looked over because you simply weren't good enough.

All good though...Gives them one more thing to bitch about next season.

1. If it was the players throwing in the towel, Frost neefs to go.
2. This may be a way to stick it to the B10 - lowers all the teams take home die to bowl revenue sharing.
This actually brings up an interesting thought that hadn't struck me - should teams that opt out be allowed to participate in revenue sharing?

I mean, it's one thing if you're not chosen. You have no control over that, but if you have an opportunity to participate and opt out voluntarily, should your program be allowed to receive a portion of the bowl revenue?

I would say no, but that's probably not how it's going to work. Reward the teams that are putting in the time and work.

This actually brings up an interesting thought that hadn't struck me - should teams that opt out be allowed to participate in revenue sharing?

I mean, it's one thing if you're not chosen. You have no control over that, but if you have an opportunity to participate and opt out voluntarily, should your program be allowed to receive a portion of the bowl revenue?

I would say no, but that's probably not how it's going to work. Reward the teams that are putting in the time and work.
The bowl that Nebraska would have participated in doesn't have much of a payout anyway. I don't think it's fair to yank the revenue sharing from them in a season where the germ is making a huge impact.

The revenue should have been split based on the max number of games a team could play. Opt out of game or force another team to cancel due to Covid or heart conditions deduct that percentage from the total revenue. All the teams are taking hits financially, it's bullshit for Michigan to cancel their remaining 3 games (I'll be generous giving them the benefit of the doubt that they weren't going to be selected for a bowl game anyway) after an already shortened season and collect the same amount as everyone else. They want to put that unearned money to good use they can use it to throw a going away slumber party for Ol' Jimmy and cut him lose for being an absolute embarrassment to the league.

It's a complicated situation in unprecedented times, and I wouldn't be in favor of financially "punishing" teams for missing games due to positive Covid tests, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. If your team is available and healthy, on principle alone, it's hard to argue that your share of the pot should be the same as a team that prepared, traveled and played.

Barta has already stated Iowa will lose money on their bowl attendance this year. I would guess other lower bowls would represent the same for other BIG's that turned down the offer.

Don't see penalizing teams as a positive move by the BIG. This is a different year. If you can't put a representative team on the field and you lose money by attending then I can't blame anyone. I don't think those choosing to stay home in the BIG are hurting our coiffures to much degree if any...........maybe even helping?