Nebraska has the cards?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is interesting stuff...trying to read the tea leaves...sounds like if Nebraska has any sort of wink wink offer from Big Ten, and chooses to go that route, the Big 12 is toast...or the Big 12 is trying to make them feel that way, that they would be responsible for the B12 collapse...which is total BS.

Texas wants to keep its hands as clean as possible on this, and can prop Nebraska up as a straw man...that's garbage. If Nebraska chooses to stay and the B12 remains together for a while, Texas still has things the way it wants it and that will only increase.

Nebraska's best move is to leave if it has the chance, to the Big Ten. I cannot stand Texas.

This is interesting stuff...trying to read the tea leaves...sounds like if Nebraska has any sort of wink wink offer from Big Ten, and chooses to go that route, the Big 12 is toast...or the Big 12 is trying to make them feel that way, that they would be responsible for the B12 collapse...which is total BS.

Texas wants to keep its hands as clean as possible on this, and can prop Nebraska up as a straw man...that's garbage. If Nebraska chooses to stay and the B12 remains together for a while, Texas still has things the way it wants it and that will only increase.

Nebraska's best move is to leave if it has the chance, to the Big Ten. I cannot stand Texas.

So you're advocating that Nebby not only calls the bluff, but then raises?

Orangebloods saying that neither Beebe or Texas imposed the deadline on Nebraska and Missouri, but rather the other universities who are really trying to keep the Big XII together. I think Delany has to have an accelerated timeframe for Big Ten expansion now, whether he likes it or not.

Orangebloods saying that neither Beebe or Texas imposed the deadline on Nebraska and Missouri, but rather the other universities who are really trying to keep the Big XII together. I think Delany has to have an accelerated timeframe for Big Ten expansion now, whether he likes it or not.

The Big Ten has been the most prosperous and influential collaboration of Universities for 111 years. If I'm not mistaken, it was around even before the NCAA existed. It didn't become this way by making snap decisions on things or being bullied around by other conferences. We can still afford to take our time with this. The Big Ten will only admit schools that will be benefiacial to the whole of the Big Ten, and at a time that they feel is appropriate. No one is pushing their timetable on us.

I'm thinking it was Texas. They like their stranglehold on the conference now and look to keep that. There's a reason the Pac 10 news originated on Orangebloods and the Big XII giving Nebraska and Mizzou an ultimatum story came from Austin as well...

I cannot stand Nebraska...nor their fans.

I hope Nebraska lets the deadline come and go with no public statement. Texas will stall the joining of the PAC10 and have a Plan B in hopes of keeping the B12 together and their dream of the Longhorn network alive. This is great stuff.

I really do not believe there is a deadline. I think this just 'postulating' from the Dallas media. This stuff is just 'so Texas'!

So you're advocating that Nebby not only calls the bluff, but then raises?

that's the way the game of poker is played. If you KNOW you're the only real player with a decent hand, get all you can out of it. the big 12 was formed for one reason, $$$. If the big 12 wants to pull this pathetic crap, let them, makes them look very foolish and desperate.

I hope Nebraska lets the deadline come and go with no public statement. Texas will stall the joining of the PAC10 and have a Plan B in hopes of keeping the B12 together and their dream of the Longhorn network alive. This is great stuff.

If Nebraska and Missouri let the deadline pass with no decision, Texas and the rest of the South will go to the Pac10. That leaves Nebraska in a tough place. If the offer to the Big10 does not come, then they are just as screwed as ISU, KU, and KSU.

What the Big12 is doing is not forcing Nebraska's hand, but more the Big10's. If the Big10 is serious about adding Nebraska and Missouri then they will need to tell them this week. Otherwise, Nebraska and Missouri will be forced to sign a substantial buyout clause to keep the Southern schools in the Big12. I would assume that buyout clause to be enough to assure Texas that those two will stick around regardless if they get offered later.

Nebraska is actually wanted by other conferences for football, Iowa state, not so much. face it, most other BCS conferences would knife each other in the back if nebraska was a free agent.

Nebraska is actually wanted by other conferences for football, Iowa state, not so much. face it, most other BCS conferences would knife each other in the back if nebraska was a free agent.
+1 Nebraska is in way better shape to get in another BCS conference then ISU and it's not even close

If Nebraska and Missouri let the deadline pass with no decision, Texas and the rest of the South will go to the Pac10. That leaves Nebraska in a tough place. If the offer to the Big10 does not come, then they are just as screwed as ISU, KU, and KSU.

What the Big12 is doing is not forcing Nebraska's hand, but more the Big10's. If the Big10 is serious about adding Nebraska and Missouri then they will need to tell them this week. Otherwise, Nebraska and Missouri will be forced to sign a substantial buyout clause to keep the Southern schools in the Big12. I would assume that buyout clause to be enough to assure Texas that those two will stick around regardless if they get offered later.

Nebraska won't be in a tough place.

Your school? Uh, ok.

Only thing i'm going to love about this expansion, is beating the shiz outta Nebraska. I hate Texas and Nebraska.

Clonehomer, I think this has become much more of a poker game then you have simplified the decision to be. I believe Texas is raising on the turn to get a better idea of Nebraska's hole cards. Texas forces an ultimatum to Nebraska to see if they are holding the nuts pair or better at the moment or if they are trying to draw to the outside straight (read: does Nebraska have an under the table offer from the Big Ten or do they just think they will get an offer). Texas is the money leader with Nebraska a distant second but with some money to push around. While Texas hasn't put Nebraska all-in, it would cost Nebraska a lot to call (wait out the week trying to figure out how things are going) or fold (commit to the Big 12). Or Nebraska could go all-in (commit to the Big 12 under the conditions of equal revenue sharing, formation of a Big 12 network with Texas unable to start their own network, rotation of the Big 12 Championship game between KC and Dallas, etc.) and force Texas to call or fold. If Texas calls Nebraska, Texas could either win (jump ship to the PAC 10 and Nebraska has a huge buyout to leave the demolished Big 12) or lose (the PAC 10 deal falls through due to politics and Texas loses its dominion over the Big 12 as well as the option to start its own TV network). The Big 12 just gets more and more entertaining each day ... much more fun to watch then 55 - 52 football games.

+1 Nebraska is in way better shape to get in another BCS conference then ISU and it's not even close

Which one? If the Southern schools go to the Pac10 and the Big10 decides that it does not want Nebraska, where do they go? I understand that they are a much bigger draw than ISU, but in that case their only play is to add teams to the remaining Big12. The SEC, ACC, and Big East aren't going to take Nebraska because of geography so they would also be left looking for a home.

My guess is that NU and MU do not get an offer from the Big Ten before the 15th of June.

At which point, they will have little choice but to recommit to the Big Twelve.

At which point, the Big 12 will work a TV deal with the Pac Ten, which will negate the potential for Colorado to go to the Pac 10.

At which point, the conference status quo will remain in place.

If this occurs, and I'd call it about a 60-40 thing right now...this will all end up being much ado about nothing.

Which one? If the Southern schools go to the Pac10 and the Big10 decides that it does not want Nebraska, where do they go? I understand that they are a much bigger draw than ISU, but in that case their only play is to add teams to the remaining Big12. The SEC, ACC, and Big East aren't going to take Nebraska because of geography so they would also be left looking for a home.

I think the SEC would snap up Nebraska in a hot sh*t minute if it could. They would overlook the geography in their case, IMO.

I love the Clone with his head in the sand. My feeling is that the Big Ten will not lose a shot at Nebby and Mizzou just to keep to their time frame. But, I also imagine that no formal offer will be extended prior to the supposed deadline. Rather Inwould expect some backdoor discussions that would indicate whether the formal offer is pending. If so, I expect they will both tell the other schools to proceed as they feel they must.

However, if I was the Big Ten I would probably decide to offer the most obvious schools Nebby, Missou, and Rutgers and then wait to make more offers if they felt they needed to do a little more work before deciding on a couple more.

Latest posts