Nebraska has the cards?

Something else Clone. Fox is involved I this process. They want the most possible television sets with the least amount of revenue sharing. That is why the 22 team Big 12 / Pac Ten contract will not happen. Fox is going to take their half. The rest of the teams don't want to split the other half up 22 ways - particularly with teams they don't see pulling their own weight.

I love the Clone with his head in the sand. My feeling is that the Big Ten will not lose a shot at Nebby and Mizzou just to keep to their time frame. But, I also imagine that no formal offer will be extended prior to the supposed deadline. Rather Inwould expect some backdoor discussions that would indicate whether the formal offer is pending. If so, I expect they will both tell the other schools to proceed as they feel they must.

However, if I was the Big Ten I would probably decide to offer the most obvious schools Nebby, Missou, and Rutgers and then wait to make more offers if they felt they needed to do a little more work before deciding on a couple more.

Until ND is out of play, the Big Ten won't be formally or informally offering Mizzou or NU anything. If ND bites, B10 expansion will stop there.

I love the Clone with his head in the sand. My feeling is that the Big Ten will not lose a shot at Nebby and Mizzou just to keep to their time frame. But, I also imagine that no formal offer will be extended prior to the supposed deadline. Rather Inwould expect some backdoor discussions that would indicate whether the formal offer is pending. If so, I expect they will both tell the other schools to proceed as they feel they must.

However, if I was the Big Ten I would probably decide to offer the most obvious schools Nebby, Missou, and Rutgers and then wait to make more offers if they felt they needed to do a little more work before deciding on a couple more.

I don't disagree that this is the most likely scenario. My point was that Nebraska and Missouri will have to make a decision. If the Big10 has given them assurances that they will be invited, then it's a done deal that the Big12 South is going to the Pac10 and Nebraska and Missouri are headed to the Big10. If the Big10 hasn't made up their minds on Nebraska and Missouri then this will be more interesting.

Do they (MU and NU) have the confidence that they will be invited to the Big10 in order not to re-affirm their allegiance to the Big12? If they don't by next week, Texas and friends are gone to the Pac10. I also don't think that there will be any formal offers from the Big10 this week, but NU and MU will want assurances from the Big10 before telling the Big12 that they can't be sure of staying.

Something else Clone. Fox is involved I this process. They want the most possible television sets with the least amount of revenue sharing. That is why the 22 team Big 12 / Pac Ten contract will not happen. Fox is going to take their half. The rest of the teams don't want to split the other half up 22 ways - particularly with teams they don't see pulling their own weight.

I never said it would. The Pac10 will be a maximum of 16 teams.

Nebraska should come back and say they will sign under certain conditions; demand for revenue sharing and the title Big 12 title game to rotate between arrowhead and the new dallas stadium. Demand these things based on the grounds that the big 12 south has all the power and the big 12 North isn't part of the conference because of it. this would throw the ball back at texas who couldn't defend this truth. all the teams who want a bigger piece of the pie would back up Nebraska at this point. If texas truly wants the conference arrangement to stay as it is, they'll agree. but as most would suspect they aren't going to be willing to do that so texas would have to make the 1st move.

I agree with pmchawk and Jon that Texas is just trying to get Nebraska to look like the bad guys so they can head out the backdoor towards the PAC 10. Nebraska should ask for equal revenue sharing, a Big 12 TV network with no Longhorn only network, rotation of the championship game, etc. in order to give their commitment and put the ball back in Texas's court.

didn't delany say something about looking south for teams? would that leave out ND? I really don't care who the Big ten pursues as long they don't include TX or ND. I hate them both.

If Nebraska and Missouri let the deadline pass with no decision, Texas and the rest of the South will go to the Pac10. That leaves Nebraska in a tough place. If the offer to the Big10 does not come, then they are just as screwed as ISU, KU, and KSU.

What the Big12 is doing is not forcing Nebraska's hand, but more the Big10's. If the Big10 is serious about adding Nebraska and Missouri then they will need to tell them this week. Otherwise, Nebraska and Missouri will be forced to sign a substantial buyout clause to keep the Southern schools in the Big12. I would assume that buyout clause to be enough to assure Texas that those two will stick around regardless if they get offered later.

I am guessing they have already signed something years ago, and they don't have to sign anything else. OR...that would get bogged down with lawyers and lawsuits for months. I think it's an empty threat.

didn't delany say something about looking south for teams? would that leave out ND? I really don't care who the Big ten pursues as long they don't include TX or ND. I hate them both.

I think that was Texas...and Texas only. Or a smoke screen entirely at Notre Dame's expense.

I don't disagree that this is the most likely scenario. My point was that Nebraska and Missouri will have to make a decision. If the Big10 has given them assurances that they will be invited, then it's a done deal that the Big12 South is going to the Pac10 and Nebraska and Missouri are headed to the Big10. If the Big10 hasn't made up their minds on Nebraska and Missouri then this will be more interesting.

Do they (MU and NU) have the confidence that they will be invited to the Big10 in order not to re-affirm their allegiance to the Big12? If they don't by next week, Texas and friends are gone to the Pac10. I also don't think that there will be any formal offers from the Big10 this week, but NU and MU will want assurances from the Big10 before telling the Big12 that they can't be sure of staying.[B/]

Maybe I'm just clueless on this one, but I don't get how Nebraska committing to the Big 12 will send Texas to the Pac-10. I could see it if NU and Mizzou said "we want to wait and see". Because if they leave, there's not that much left for Texas to hold onto. If they're going to go to the Pac-10, I don't see why they'll care if the Big 12 collapses. That will happen no matter what if Texas leaves, so there's no reason to make sure Mizzou and Nebraska stay in first.

No. If NU and MU recommit to the Big 12...by the deadline on the 15th...then the South schools will NOT bolt to the Pac 10. That's what Texas is essentially asserting.

If the schools all then remain in the conference, the Big 12 and Pac 10 are going to sign a mutual TV agreement...a sort of superconference television deal. That's the plan, anyway.

No. If NU and MU recommit to the Big 12...by the deadline on the 15th...then the South schools will NOT bolt to the Pac 10. That's what Texas is essentially asserting.

If the schools all then remain in the conference, the Big 12 and Pac 10 are going to sign a mutual TV agreement...a sort of superconference television deal. That's the plan, anyway.

That is what is being sold to ISU, Kansas, KSU and whomever else finds themselves left out of the final line-up. However, it is not the plan. It is what needed to be sold to let Fox come in and start negotiations with teams from both leagues. If the little guys believe this is the plan, they will find they were mistaken. Fox knows what they feel will result in the most desirable network structure and that includes Nebby and Mizzou in the Big Ten. The funny thing is that everyone is fixated on the talk between the universities. People should really be looking into the talk between the conferences and Fox.

Latest posts