Nebraska has safety concerns about Saturday's game

tweeterhawk

I posted in another thread I thought the game should proceed. But now I think the Bugeaters have some valid concerns. In view of the riots last night and the continuing bitter student reactions in Happy Valley, would it be smart to move the game to a neutral site? Or cancel it altogether?

Unless you are willing to put a POTUS security-level detail in the stadium Saturday, I'm not sure you can be assured of much safety for fans or players. I don't think Pennsylvania is equipped to provide that level of security.

Nebraska has safety concerns at Penn State - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

the students are trying to defend someone who is actually(more than likely) guilty in this situation...yet they are victimizing their fellow students(football players) by demonstrating the way they are. if this game gets moved, those seniors who have spent 4 or 5 years in the program giving their lives for PSU will lose that one special day where they are recognized on senior day.

i feel terrible for the victims of the heinous crimes sandusky and co put those people through, but i also feel terrible for the players at PSU who may be victimized in a different way.

just a terrible situation going on pennsylvania

They will be fine. It was all anger over Joe Pa. They love their football and their team and won't do anything stupid. The great majority of PSU fans are great people and know Paterno had to go.

I posted in another thread I thought the game should proceed. But now I think the Bugeaters have some valid concerns. In view of the riots last night and the continuing bitter student reactions in Happy Valley, would it be smart to move the game to a neutral site? Or cancel it altogether?

Unless you are willing to put a POTUS security-level detail in the stadium Saturday, I'm not sure you can be assured of much safety for fans or players. I don't think Pennsylvania is equipped to provide that level of security.

Nebraska has safety concerns at Penn State - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

no, you have the game right where it is supposed to be, there will be no issues

JoePa's already asked for civility and respect from the protesters, and will probably do it again at least once before the game, and the fans will comply

Last edited:
This is an opporunity for Paterno to use his platform and show some leadership.
Game time is too late. He needs to make a public statement before gameday, to the fans and students of Penn State regarding their conduct. He's the one who can get it done...and I believe it's his responsiblity to do it.

Last edited:
These are some of the most violent fans in college sports on a normal Saturday, I would not want to be anywhere near Crappy Valley this weekend.

They will be fine. It was all anger over Joe Pa. They love their football and their team and won't do anything stupid. The great majority of PSU fans are great people and know Paterno had to go.

The Board of Trustees is so confident of security Saturday that they have requested that if McQueary coaches, he do it from the press box, not on the sideline. :eek:

I am so DISGUSTED by how some of their fans are re-acting to this only, only just adds to the notion that Happy valley is a creepy cult like town that is just sicking, just when i thought my disdain for PSU couldn't get worst....

I never thought i'd say this but i hope that Nebbie goes in there and just beats the living $hit out of them....yeah yeah it's not the player's fault and its' not--sucks to be them at the wrong place at the wrong time but such is reality on this situation.

No. But I have heard plenty of stories, and I have seen Youtube video's about how opposing fans have been treated.

Well as BTR posted I was at the game this year and both the drunk kids downtown Friday night and every PSU fan on Sat. were as nice as can be. In fact of all the road trips I have taken in the Big 10 it was hands down the best I have been treated.

Not one person after the game said a thing other than good luck the rest of the year.

I also have friends that have been and say the same thing.

As for videos, all schools have crappy fans.

Well as BTR posted I was at the game this year and both the drunk kids downtown Friday night and every PSU fan on Sat. were as nice as can be. In fact of all the road trips I have taken in the Big 10 it was hands down the best I have been treated.

Not one person after the game said a thing other than good luck the rest of the year.

I also have friends that have been and say the same thing.

As for videos, all schools have crappy fans.
Thats cool.

They were even talking on the radio here today about how poorly we were treated back in 2002 and 1982 at Happy Valley. I guess that Rozier and Fryar about went into the stands after some people in 82, fwiw.

These are some of the most violent fans in college sports on a normal Saturday, I would not want to be anywhere near Crappy Valley this weekend.

Based on what??? Christ man, you can't just throw out a statement like that. "most violent fans in college sports"????:eek::rolleyes:

Well as BTR posted I was at the game this year and both the drunk kids downtown Friday night and every PSU fan on Sat. were as nice as can be. In fact of all the road trips I have taken in the Big 10 it was hands down the best I have been treated. Not one person after the game said a thing other than good luck the rest of the year. I also have friends that have been and say the same thing. As for videos, all schools have crappy fans.
Thats cool. They were even talking on the radio here today about how poorly we were treated back in 2002 and 1982 at Happy Valley. I guess that Rozier and Fryar about went into the stands after some people in 82, fwiw.
Hayden fry went into the stands???

Based on what??? Christ man, you can't just throw out a statement like that. "most violent fans in college sports"????:eek::rolleyes:
I've seen a few youtube clips. I know, I know, that doesn't mean that all of their fans are that bad.

But from what they have been playing on KFAB and 1620 the zone, and from what many Husker fans have said, State College treated Nebraska fans worse than any place we have been. Worse than Madison, worse than Boulder, worse than Columbia, Missouri. Many Husker fans said that they will never go back to Penn St. for a game because they feared for their safety.

Hayden fry went into the stands???
Haha, no, former All American WR Irving Fryar. They had former Husker DC Charlie McBride on KFAB yesterday morning, and he told a story about how Rozier and Fryar were being "heckled" so badly back in 1982, they were ready to "go into the stands." I didn't catch the entire statement, but it seemed to me that McBride intimated racial slurs were being thrown around.

Don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

Latest posts