NCAA Tourney Thread

UCLA has to be the favorite to win it all next season since they don't lose anyone to graduation and probably won't lose anyone to the draft unless Juzang raised his stock high enough with this tournament run. Gonzaga will almost certainly lose Suggs, Timme and Kispert to the draft. Several of the blue bloods are a mess or just not all that talented.

UCLA should have won it at the end of regulation

Yeah, UCLA wasted a lot of time at the end of regulation and that guy is a really good jump shooter and should have pulled up for the winner.

UCLA coach should have called timeout after they wasted time getting into an offensive set and I hate one on one matchups in the last few seconds because most of the time they do not work.

Seeing that high level ball last night was exciting....but frustrating as Hawk fan knowing our team can't play anywhere near that level of basketball. Damn.
Yeah, that was my thought. This was probably our only chance in most of our remaining lifetimes because the odds that we'll ever see two guys as good as Garza and Weiskamp on the same team are exceedingly low. And even with that, we are light years behind. Helluva game, though.

Timme was set

Juzang certainly should have stopped short

You Know.....

Probably the best college basketball I have ever watched

UCLA controlled the pace of the game and pushed the Zags
to the absolute limit

Suggs was the star of the game obviously because of TheMiracleThree

Also because of this sequence of events near the end of regulation

2:27
i
Jalen Suggs made Jumper.77 - 77
2:18
i
UCLA Timeout77 - 77
2:00
i
Cody Riley missed Dunk.77 - 77
i
Jalen Suggs Block.77 - 77
i
Jalen Suggs Defensive Rebound.77 - 77
1:54
i
Drew Timme made Dunk. Assisted by Jalen Suggs.

UCLA certainly seemed to be coached by the former Cincinnati coach
The play borderline thug basketball

They are certainly one of the three top teams in America and really fun to watch
And MSU had them beat in First 4. Crazy! I’m interested to see how Suggs does against the elite guards of Baylor.

UCLA has to be the favorite to win it all next season since they don't lose anyone to graduation and probably won't lose anyone to the draft unless Juzang raised his stock high enough with this tournament run. Gonzaga will almost certainly lose Suggs, Timme and Kispert to the draft. Several of the blue bloods are a mess or just not all that talented.
I think UCLA will be in the top 5 if everyone comes back. But they got really hot at the right time. I still remember that MSU had them beat.

UCLA went to the well time and time again and it finally came up empty. Its tough to win every close game and OT game this time of the year.

Unless you are 1983 NC State. That run is still unbelievable. In their three game conference tournament run and their six game NCAA run they were tied or behind with less than a minute to go in regulation in eight out of nine and won every single one of them. And they needed the automatic conference bid just to make the NCAA field.

I know they had experienced guards but that defies the law of averages. Opposing players had game winnng shots go halfway down and spin out, people couldn't make free throws.

What made it even more amazing is the fact that there was no shot clock in those days. There would be soon, as well as the double bonus rule, both of which could be at least partially attributed to NC State's amazing run. It may also have invented the phrase "survive and advance".

People forget that Valvano had other amazing tournament runs in addition to that one. He made at least two Elite Eights in addition to the title. And he knocked Iowa out in double OT in 1989 as well.

Seeing that high level ball last night was exciting....but frustrating as Hawk fan knowing our team can't play anywhere near that level of basketball. Damn.
Iowa's games against Ohio State and the first game against Illinois were pretty much the same level of basketball.

Yeah, UCLA wasted a lot of time at the end of regulation and that guy is a really good jump shooter and should have pulled up for the winner.

UCLA coach should have called timeout after they wasted time getting into an offensive set and I hate one on one matchups in the last few seconds because most of the time they do not work.

Not sure about calling the time out. Sure it gives the offense a chance to draw something up, but also gives the opponent a chance to collect themselves defensively. Sure there was quite a bit of time wasted, but they had good looks. He had the opportunity to pull up for the game winner, as you said. He also gave himself time to attack the basket and forced a whistle, albeit not the call they were hoping for. I'm not sure you get better looks calling the time out.

I think Baylor's defense will give Gonzaga some issues. They don't see that type of intensity out of the WCC.

NYT:

INDIANAPOLIS — When Jalen Suggs’s prayer masquerading as a 40-foot heave kissed off the glass and went through the net as the buzzer sounded late Saturday night, all he could think to do was mimic his basketball heroes, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade.

So Suggs sprinted across the court, leapt atop one of the tables near the sideline and thrust his arms in the air triumphantly. The shot, the dagger at the end of overtime that finally vanquished U.C.L.A., instantly jogged the memory banks for context: Kris Jenkins, Gordon Hayward (who was deprived of a forgiving bounce), Christian Laettner and Ulysses S. Reed (look that one up, kids) — all cherry-on-top shots of epic N.C.A.A. men’s tournament games.

Northside knows about those games

@Northside Hawk knows all the games.
The ones I remember anyway.

March 14, 1981 was coined by Skip Bayless as "The Day March Madness Was Born". I addressed it in an old thread and Robowe provided the videos. In one afternoon St Joseph shocked #1 seed DePaul at the buzzer, Rolando Blackmon advanced Kansas State past Oregon State at the buzzer, U.S. Reed of Arkansas hit one from half court to beat Louisville, and BYU's Danny Ainge made a spectacular end to end dash to knock out Notre Dame.

I think what made the tournament so exciting at that time was the increase in at large teams. As recently as the early 70's you practically had to win your conference to make the Dance. I think this greatly contributed to the run UCLA had from 1967-1973.

By 1979 40 teams got in, then 48, then by 1985 it was 64 where it stayed for a long time. It opened the door for also ran teams like Iowa in 1980, who finished fourth in the league but got hot in the tournament when Ronnie Lester was able to play at about 60% and Vince Brookins and Steve Waite played the best ball of their careers. Coaches like Valvano, Dale Brown at LSU, and Rollie Massimino of Villanova became known as tournament terrors, the epitome of teams you did NOT want in your regional.

None of that would have been possible in John Wooden's day. Those teams would have been in the NIT instead.

Wonder when the zags were last in this position, even early in a game?

I posted yesterday that Gonzaga could have a bit of a hangover from Saturday's heroic effort, while Baylor had a low stress game by comparison.

Long way to go however.

Latest posts