NCAA Football Preview - Northern Illinois Huskies

And you are basing CPR`s recruiting classes on what? Is it rankings like rivals or scout? Is it based upon offers(reported or unreported)? Just ask your coach about CPR. The real key is will CPR stay in Ames. The administration is committed to a strong program and $$$ will be there so I say he will be around.

"Just ask your coach about CPR." What is that supposed to mean? Ferentz has owned Rhoads thus far both on the field and the recruiting trail. Iowa Stare also does not have the athletic budget or the boosters to warrant paying Rhoads if he manages to turn players with no other offers into BCS players. I'm sorry, but Rhoads isn't going to be around for long. In 5 years he will either be fired or at a better school.

Tell you what, I am happy to bet $100 each way. I take ISU over 5 wins for $100, and you take Iowa over 5 wins for $100. That is $200 bet......are you good with that?

That is fine by me. If Iowa doesn't get to 6 wins, I will probably have lots of extra money, as I won't be going to games, and saving a ton of money! :p

That is fine by me. If Iowa doesn't get to 6 wins, I will probably have lots of extra money, as I won't be going to games, and saving a ton of money! :p

It is a bet. Gentleman`s agreement to settle up after the season if either of us end up in the red.

Maybe the smart money should worry about ISU opening the season as a 1.5 home dog to Tulsa.

I don't know about that. I'm thinking of laying down some money on ISU in this one. I just don't see ISU tripping up on that game. If they do lose, I would actually be MORE worried about the Iowa v ISU game the following week.

It is a bet. Gentleman`s agreement to settle up after the season if either of us end up in the red.

I gotta say giving me 5 wins is most generous, and I want to thank you for that opportunity. In an ideal world I would have put the ISU line at 6 wins, as then I would have been super confident on collecting on both bets. As it is, I won't be SHOCKED if ISU gets to 6, that will be a nice year for them.

I don't know about that. I'm thinking of laying down some money on ISU in this one. I just don't see ISU tripping up on that game. If they do lose, I would actually be MORE worried about the Iowa v ISU game the following week.

Agreed. Those are the ones that suck. ISU loses or squeeks by their first game, Iowa blow out. Nobody gives ISU a chance and that is when the steele one.

I will gladly take Clonestar's bet that Iowa won't win 5 games. Everyone on this site is welcome to bookmark this post as I will follow through if I lose the best. Unfortunately, based on my previous bet with a Cyclone fan on this site I know they are all full of smoke and won't pay up when they lose. I'm convinced that Clonestar is just another name for ISUer.

I did enjoy his comment about how Iowa's defensive line is going to get destroyed by ISU's inexperienced o-line. Both units are very inexperienced, but Iowa's line won't be any worse than last year while ISU's line will certainly be worse after losing Osemele and their 2nd best OL. I think his name was Hicks?

Iowa's offensive line is very experienced and should easily handle ISU's very mediocre defensive line. I don't say this because it's ISU, but there is honestly not a single player on their defensive line who scares me in the least. I don't see a single playmaker on that line. Their LB's on the other hand will be very good, and they do scare me. Hopefully JVB has improved tenfold on his blitz pickup because I can pretty much guarantee we will see a lot of blitzes in this game.

Jantz has been named their starting QB, which is somewhat troubling considering he turned into Michael Vick (the good version) against us. Every throw was right on the money, and we couldn't bring him down in the backfield. If he plays like that again we're in trouble. Fortunately we have every other game of his that points to his Iowa performance being a fluke. I think this year's version will be somewhere in between those extremes. I feel that our experienced LB's and DB's will come up with at least 2 picks in this game.

With that said I expect ISU to run a lot in this game given their talent and depth at RB and our lack of experience and depth on the d line. We will definitely need our LB's to step it up in this game.

All things considered I see Iowa winning this game by 2 scores. We have owned them in Kinnick recently, and we are simply more talented across the board with the obvious exception of RB, and to a lesser extent LB.

Again, back to what this thread is about. The QB situation is a bit sensitive for NIU. They have 1 QB and they are in full hopes he's healthy all year. They only have a redshirt freshman and 2 true freshman behind him.

Daily Chronicle | QB McIntosh gaining familiarity with practice reps

From article:

This year there are a lot of question marks behind Lynch. Backup Matt McIntosh is just a redshirt freshman who has no game experience, and he didn’t start taking practice reps until the spring.

Behind him are two freshmen, Drew Hare and Geneva product Matt Williams. NIU coach Dave Doeren said the current plan with them is to have one dress and travel as an emergency quarterback. In a perfect world, injuries would be minimal to Huskies quarterbacks and both would be able to redshirt. McIntosh was NIU’s emergency quarterback last season.

Wouldn't worry too much about NIU. They were a good team last year, but most of those guys are gone. I expect both teams will make mistakes early, then settle down. I hope that Iowa gets a good workout and gets rid of the "road" jinx.

NIU's win streak came against MAC opponents and they won several very close games. They lost a very good QB and a good RB who accounted for the vast majority of their yards. ALso lost entire OL. Their defense is also pretty subpar. If JVB can get it going early they should win easily.

I just hope JVB starts the season off with a good showing on the road after he struggled away from Kinnick last year.

Latest posts