NCAA Football Preview - Northern Illinois Huskies

so you are predicting 2-10?

Expecting clones to start the year 4-0..... The folks that think the hawks will win 9 games are in for a rude awakening. Even with one of the easiest schedules in a BCS conference, the hawks face too many challenges to overcome.

Expecting clones to start the year 4-0..... The folks that think the hawks will win 9 games are in for a rude awakening. Even with one of the easiest schedules in a BCS conference, the hawks face too many challenges to overcome.
I'll take the Hawks all day long @ home against the clones. And I will be pwoud.

Your prediction certainly isn't a recipe for disappointment...

And you are in for a rude awakening when Iowa State starts out 1-3. The only challenges Iowa faces are gaining experience with a young but talented defensive line and finding someone to run behind one of the best O-Lines in the conference. The talent is young, but it is most certainly quality enough to reach 9 wins. There is a much better chance Iowa starts 5-0 than ISU starting even 2-0.

The last time ISU won in Iowa City was 2002 and it took Seneca Wallace playing the game of his life to pull it out.....before that, was 1998 and 2000 when our combined record those years was a whopping 7-17.

I am more nervous about NIU than I am about ISU simply because the ISU game is in Kinnick.

With that being said, I think we win both games by 2 touchdowns.

Not surprised that you take the hawks.....smart money will be on the other side

3oijn5.jpg

25237681.jpg

The last time ISU won in Iowa City was 2002 and it took Seneca Wallace playing the game of his life to pull it out.....before that, was 1998 and 2000 when our combined record those years was a whopping 7-17.

I am more nervous about NIU than I am about ISU simply because the ISU game is in Kinnick.

With that being said, I think we win both games by 2 touchdowns.

I will take 10 points for a grand. Not only will you not win by 2 touchdowns, you won't win the game. Your DL is going to get blown up, and the pressure will be on the offense to make up for it. With the team trying to get comfortable with the new OC, the clones will take advantage of their familiarity with Davis.

With the team trying to get comfortable with the new OC, the clones will take advantage of their familiarity with Davis.

Familiar with what? Getting a beat down?

ISU is 1-6 against him with an average score of Davis 39-ISU 21.

Just the kinda familiarity you want huh?

Familiar with what? Getting a beat down?

ISU is 1-6 against him with an average score of Davis 39-ISU 21.

Just the kinda familiarity you want huh?

Correct, because Davis had superior talent at Texas. that is not the case with his offense this year.....and yes the clones know GD's tendencies.

I will take 10 points for a grand. Not only will you not win by 2 touchdowns, you won't win the game. Your DL is going to get blown up, and the pressure will be on the offense to make up for it. With the team trying to get comfortable with the new OC, the clones will take advantage of their familiarity with Davis.

Why is ISU fan soooooooo confident this year? They don't have any experience coming back on the OL, or at WR, and neither QB will step up and win the spot. The defense was atrocious last year, and the DL and secondary won't be any better this year.

Rhoads has won 3 conference games in each of his first 3 years, and that is a reasonable number for this year. I see them losing in Iowa City (haven't won there in a decade) so I think this is a 5 win team, 6 with some breaks, and 7 would be a dream year.

Correct, because Davis had superior talent at Texas. that is not the case with his offense this year.....and yes the clones know GD's tendencies.

Clonestar could you give me a quick rundown of this year's ISU team?

About all I know about them is their QB that ripped Iowa apart last year and the LBs that ISU fans are always talking about.

Thanks.

Clonestar could you give me a quick rundown of this year's ISU team?

About all I know about them is their QB that ripped Iowa apart last year and the LBs that ISU fans are always talking about.

Thanks.

ISU is deep for the 1st time in a long time. We will be red shirting every freshman except maybe the kicker from Ankeny. Here is a quick overview without going into schemes.

OL - return 7 players that have taken significant snaps(200+) including the center(farniok) who started as a RFR last year. He has put on 20 lbs since last year and will play at 290. The OL will average 300+ and will be very athletic as a unit.

TE - Return 3 with experience and have one JC player coming off a RS year who appears will be a receiving threat(Brun). this is the weakest link on the OL, but is expect to be an improvement over last year. all TEs are good blockers.

WR- Lenz is the leading returnee who has played for 4 years. Gary(whom I believe should have been released) returns along with West and Horne. All 4 have extensive experience. Bundrage is a RS freshman with good size who has emerged as a #1 as well.

RB-The deepest position on the field with the return of S. Johnson. He and White will be #1 & 1A. Johnson is a home run back with terrific moves in space, while White is steady and fast. While gained 800 yds with 7 tds last year after Johnson went down in game 4. Jeff Woody is the short yardage back at 245 lbs and is tough as nails. Nealey and Standard are coming off RS years, and would probably start in any other year. They all will play.

QB- Starter will be named tomorrow between Jantz and Barnett. Jantz has come back from injury and is much bigger at 225lbs and can go downfield. Barnett is a strong game manager, but does not have the home run ability of Jantz. Both won 3 games last year.

Defense

Interior DL - We go 6 deep on the interior. 5 of the six have extensive experience with the McDonough returning for his SR year. All 6 are around 300lbs.

DE- Starters will be Maggitt & Scott. Maggitt is returning from injury and was a starter last year before getting injured. Scott has seen extensive time over the last 2 years. David Iring is the beast at DE. He is a true sophomore and comes in at 6'7 and 280 lbs. he is athletic and he played as a true freshman and is only going to get better. morrissey is a junco transfer and will provide good depth.

LB- Knott and Klein are both beasts. Both are projected as 1st team all conf. Knott now weighs in at 252lbs & Klein is at 248. Swartz is expected to be a playmaker this year and is very athletic. He will play the middle.

DB - Reeves and Watson are the starters and are the two fastest players on the team. Watson will be a 1st year starter and Reeves has started for 2 years.

Safety - Starters will be Washington and Broomfield. Washington is a playmaker and both have extensive experience.

Latest posts