NCAA BOund and f'ing ecstatic!!!!!!!!!

hawkeye12345

PG - Cartwright. This kid is just good. He is exactly what a PG should be.
Wing - Hubbard. The kid is what he is...a slashing, scoring wing that can get it done.
Wing - Gatens. Finally will fulfill his potential now that he has a supporting cast.
PF - Basabe. If you thought he was good in '10, wait until '11. He has the offensive set to be one of the top scorers in conference.
C - Depth is the key here. Brommer will start, Olaseni will come off the bench and Archie will probably shock the living hell out of most of us with some brilliant games followed by the 'why is he even in there' type performances.

Depth - HUGE - In order of PT by position.

PG - Cartwright, Marble, Hubbard, Oglesby.
Wing 1 - Hubbard, Marble, May, Oglesby, Gatens, Stoermer
Wing 2 - Gatens, Hubbard, May, Marble
PF - Basabe, McCabe, White,
C - Brommer, Olaseni, Archie

I think coach is right with May showing huge improvements. I am not writing the kid off but he either needs to figure out how to shoot, play D or penetrate in order to be a viable option for next year. He needs to do one of them, not all.

We are finished with role playing and on to contending.

Probably a little too optimistic, but it feels good to have a reason to look forward to the basketball season.

Well it looks like you guys now have 2 easy wins in Nebraska, along with Penn State and Northwestern. I'm going to miss seeing Doc Sadler twice a year.

The key to Gatens isn't that he will perform well now that he HAS a supporting cast; he will perform better now that he IS the supporting cast.

The key to Gatens isn't that he will perform well now that he HAS a supporting cast; he will perform better now that he IS the supporting cast.

;)

Gatens will be much more productive when he is not keyed in on. The days of having the shot clock run down & flinging up a crappy shot because Iowa just could not find any open shots are done. Iowa will now be able to create open looks with having the right players & athletisism in the correct positions.

Post season contention is not that unrealistic IMHO, and the difference between the NCAA and NIT is a fine line for a BCS conference school. The key word is contention.

Every year you see teams that were bad the year before come out of no where to make tourney runs. Considering what we have returning, what we've added, and the fact that the Big 10 won't be as brutal next season, I don't think it's unrealistic to hope for a possible tourney run. However, it's very foolish to expect it.

Things could fall right, but it might be just as well having a good run in home games in the NIT to get the fans more committed.

While it would be nice for Gatens, and Cartwright to get a chance to play in the NCAA's, there are still some concerns about the Bigs, and Mel will just be a sophomore, White a freshman, and Hubbard hasn't played that much competitive hoops. The better teams will be able to take advantage up front.

2012 will be interesting. My expectation is that Fran will use that recruiting class to bring in more guys like Meyer, who will be able to compete as freshmen, but will be able to grow with the program. I see Gesell and Woodbury in this class. The only ready to play type I expect is a JUCO or Transfer combo guard type. That player can either show up this spring or next year.

I expect the first real year for this team to make strong NCAA noise will be 2013. I expect they will have a strong second year PG. They will have three strong Big Men and Mel and White will be upper-classmen. They will have been able to bring in more athletic wing players. That team should be able to be expected to beat any team in the Big Ten on any given night.

We should be able to get a great feel for this team from the very beginning. If we can avoid losses to teams like South Dakota State and Long Beach State from this past season then that will go along way to building confidence of the team and turning a bad record into a decent one heading into B10 play then perhaps the NIT! Baby steps everyone!

I'm happy to hear the enthusiasm but I don't quite see it. I'd be pretty ecstatic if we win 17 games next year. I think we will still have trouble scoring at times, and if Cartwright has an off night we are going to turn the ball over a ton.

I like the guys we are bringing in, but that's based on very, very limited information. I'd like to see them all on the court together before getting too wound up. I do think the days of losing to South Dakota State are behind us.

There's a lot of strong points in here about improvement. Just adding depth alone is going to make Iowa a tougher out next year. As mentioned above, losing to SD State and teams of that ilk are probably over. With the added depth and player development (Basabe, Cartright, Marble) and Gatens not being isolated I think 17 - 20 wins MAY be possible. That would probably mean NIT which is just fine with me. That would be a nice positive step for the fans and something for FM to build on coupled with the new assets at CHA. GO HAWKS!!!

Unfortunately, I don't expect the NCAA's next year. These guys have to learn how to read & play with each other. But, I wouldn't put the NIT out of the question for 2011-12.

I do think they will have a great shot at contending for the NCAA in the 2012-13 season, especially if they can make a decent run in the NIT next season. This is what I think will happen.

I am very excited about Iowa BB again but are we really sure FM's recruits are a higher caliber than those of the recent past? I see 3 stars for this class and those in the past.

Dont get me wrong. I think FM is starting us down the right path and will develop players in a way that TL and SA did not. But lets not get carried away. We have a ways to go till we are winning 20 games a year.

The guard after Cartwright who shows the most development in ball-handling skills will get lots of PT. I'd think the assistant coaches are putting that out there to challenge guys to work on their handles in the off-season.

PG - Cartwright. This kid is just good. He is exactly what a PG should be.
Wing - Hubbard. The kid is what he is...a slashing, scoring wing that can get it done.
Wing - Gatens. Finally will fulfill his potential now that he has a supporting cast.
PF - Basabe. If you thought he was good in '10, wait until '11. He has the offensive set to be one of the top scorers in conference.
C - Depth is the key here. Brommer will start, Olaseni will come off the bench and Archie will probably shock the living hell out of most of us with some brilliant games followed by the 'why is he even in there' type performances.

Depth - HUGE - In order of PT by position.
PG - Cartwright, Marble, Hubbard, Oglesby.
Wing 1 - Hubbard, Marble, May, Oglesby, Gatens, Stoermer
Wing 2 - Gatens, Hubbard, May, Marble
PF - Basabe, McCabe, White,
C - Brommer, Olaseni, Archie

I think coach is right with May showing huge improvements. I am not writing the kid off but he either needs to figure out how to shoot, play D or penetrate in order to be a viable option for next year. He needs to do one of them, not all.

We are finished with role playing and on to contending.

Thats a little over the top, but good for you to be that happy about things.
You haven't been hanging out with Christian Ballard have you?:D

The optimism is great and it is not unjustified. Iowa in the non-conf. could have beat SDSU, LBSU, ISU and Xavier was a tough loss. Now, in BT, Iowa had OSU, Wisc, MSU in trouble, but couldn't finish. That is 7 games, this recruiting class gives Iowa at least, at least three of those wins. With the BT being down, there is a huge opportunity to move forward, how far, don't know.
The optimism has to come from this: Not one of these recruits will be forced into playing time as in the past. These recruits will be able to grow, or if they do start, will do it deservedly so. Also, it gives Iowa more options from the bench and a greater chance to have one or two, possibly three really productive bench players.
With the skill sets that these guys bring and the returning bench players, it isn't out of the question that Iowa's bench could be one of the top producing benches in the country, it also allows the starters to play more free and loose.
All that will contribute to more ppg and forcing more to's per game and the really big thing, hopefully the days of the 6 - 8 minute droughts are over with the options from the bench. If Iowa can get anywhere between 30 - 35 ppg/10 rpg/6 apg/2 bpg, Iowa could be very scary. Iowa has to be a team, unless people in the starting lineup explode and have a couple close to 20 ppg scorers.

Latest posts