NCAA Basketball Tournament Attendance

Des Moines could definitely handle being a first and second round site...this state always turns out for a big event so Des Moines wouldn't even have to go it alone, even though they could...as posters have said, people would flock to it just for the experience...hell, I'd put in for the days off tomorrow, if they announced DM as a host city for 2015...

Des Moines will get to host just as Iowa is getting back to the tourney. Think about it....sounds like a destination for the Hawks! :)

I lived in Little Rock when the NCAA tourney was there a couple years ago. The city is about 180,000 w/ a metro area of 250,000 total...so the population argument doesn't hold up too well. They sold out the event easily, it came down to a lottery system for tickets. The same would most likely be true for Des Moines.

That being said, there were still a ton of empty seats during the less attractive matchups. I'm not sure about Des Moines, but Little Rock has a pretty good handful of hotels...a couple new and a couple that had been recently renovated.

The arena was actually in North Little Rock, so any out-of-towners would have taken the trolly or bus/taxi to get to the more attractive downtown Little Rock scene (and probably their hotels), which still isn't much....just a couple of blocks with a handful of restaurants and bars. You wouldn't want to walk outside the "improved" area without feeling a bit unsafe. I like what downtown Des Moines has to offer much better than Little Rock's, so that's got to be a positive item.

Little Rock also gets a ton of concerts, the big names usually stop by for at least one show.

So I'm not sure what Des Moines is doing with respect to their promotion for the tourney....or if there's just some key ingredient that's missing.

There's no doubt DSM could and should host opening round games. Remember how well DSM metro hosted the U.S. Senior Open a few years ago? Bringing March Madness to the capitol city would be huge!

I lived in Little Rock when the NCAA tourney was there a couple years ago. The city is about 180,000 w/ a metro area of 250,000 total...so the population argument doesn't hold up too well. They sold out the event easily, it came down to a lottery system for tickets. The same would most likely be true for Des Moines.

That being said, there were still a ton of empty seats during the less attractive matchups. I'm not sure about Des Moines, but Little Rock has a pretty good handful of hotels...a couple new and a couple that had been recently renovated.

The arena was actually in North Little Rock, so any out-of-towners would have taken the trolly or bus/taxi to get to the more attractive downtown Little Rock scene (and probably their hotels), which still isn't much....just a couple of blocks with a handful of restaurants and bars. You wouldn't want to walk outside the "improved" area without feeling a bit unsafe. I like what downtown Des Moines has to offer much better than Little Rock's, so that's got to be a positive item.

Little Rock also gets a ton of concerts, the big names usually stop by for at least one show.

So I'm not sure what Des Moines is doing with respect to their promotion for the tourney....or if there's just some key ingredient that's missing.

I think the one missing ingredient is experience with NCAA Championships. With the Wrestling, Womens Tournament and 2 Outdoor Track & Field Championships in the next 2-3 years, the city will no longer lack experience.

TULSA
Memphis Arizona 12,631

CHICAGO
FSU Texas A&M 17,352

CLEVELAND
OSU Texas San Antonio 20,164

CHARLOTTE
Duke Hampton 16,829

WFA seats 16110 for basketball. However, the actual number will be lower because of all the space the media needs. I'm guessing about 15,500 would be the actual number of seats for sale. The key would be getting regionals with midwest teams playing here. The game last night in Tampa between MSU/UCLA - lots of empty seats. If you have a local team in the first session, and the second session, you would have no problem selling it out.

the stats of attendance are irrelevant. the way the ncaa does tickets for the events are stupid. went to okc for uni vs Wisconsin in 05. I had to buy tickets for all 3 sessions and certain teams take up all tickets. okie st had all morning session tickets and left after their game 17k for their game. maybe 4k for siu vs st marys. uni game packed with Kansas fans because they played after. attendance becomes misleading. also it seems they try to choose locations close to teams who consistently get in the top 4 seeds. now if you want to argue dsm for other reasons I think you have a legit argument. downtown parking would be a concern of mine. amount of parking close to the Ford center was amazing... way more than for wf

after watching the pathetic crowd at the Tucson games, my first thought was why the hell can't DM get the tourney ahead of f*cking Tucson?????

Ridiculous

Does DM deserve a bid, I would like to think so but the problem is DM is competing against some very nice venues to host 1st/2nd round games.

Regionally here is who DM is up against:
Omaha-Qwest Center
Kansas City-Sprint Center
Chicago-United Center
Oklahoma City-Ford Center
Milwaukee-Bradley Center

DM getting the NCAA Wrestling championships is huge and a step in the right direction for the city and arena in getting a NCAA bid.

Hotels have been a concern in the past but may not be an issue going forward.

I dont think that number includes the 3 new hotels to be built in the next 2 years downtown or the new hotel at Prairie Meadows.

CLEVELAND
Cuse Indiana St 20,164
CHARLOTTE
Georgia Wash 16,825
TULSA
Illinois UNLV14,353
CHICAGO
VCU G'Town17,369

Honestly, the tournament in Downtown Des Moines sounds like a logistical nightmare. I used to live down town, and I knew to take the long way to school whenever the HS tournaments were in town, because the roads and parking lots would be almost impassibly crammed. Granted I have not lived in Des Moines in 4 years, so maybe the situation has improved, but as I remember, there is no possible way that downtown could accomodate a week of the tournament if it can (could?) barely accomdate a week of the girls basketball finals.

Wells Fargo Arena holds up to 17000

You would not need to pull in 17k in local support. You have to give tickets the the NCAA and also hold so many for the schools involved. I would guess you would need to pull in about 6-8k of local fans for each game and I think that is completely doable.

Now the reasons the selection committee have given in the past. To small of an arena and not enough accommodations downtown.

If they are only pulling in 10k at some locations then our venue is big enough for early rounds.

It takes about 20 min at most in rush hour traffic to make it from WDM or surrounding areas.

There is plenty to do around the arena. Court Ave., East Village... Have you been to the arena in Chicago...you wouldn't even want to walk around that area.

We hold one of the biggest track events every year so we are fully capable at organizing it.

DeMo does have a gripe, but what else are you going to do? I am sure the local commerce groups are working hard at getting a bid. Maybe they are not trying hard enough. Maybe they need a better marketing firm to spruce up the appeal of DeMo?

When was the last time you attended an event at the United Center?
They hold at least 100 events(41 Bulls,41 Blackhawks,plus playoffs for both teams,but many concerts) there annually,and there has been virtually zero incidents down there for years. The whole area has been gentrified for the most part,with the west loop reaching down to that area,along with dining,and nitespots.

I have no problem with Des Moines getting a regional,but no need to spout misleading comments about the other venues.

Honestly, the tournament in Downtown Des Moines sounds like a logistical nightmare. I used to live down town, and I knew to take the long way to school whenever the HS tournaments were in town, because the roads and parking lots would be almost impassibly crammed. Granted I have not lived in Des Moines in 4 years, so maybe the situation has improved, but as I remember, there is no possible way that downtown could accomodate a week of the tournament if it can (could?) barely accomdate a week of the girls basketball finals.

Was this pre 235 completion? Also there is the new Southeast Connector/MLK.

Also, how does one rank 3rd in commute time, out of the top 100 metros, if your thoughts were true? 70,000 people work downtown everyday, im sure we could handle 15,000-30,000 more.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/best-places-family-lifestyle-real-estate-cities-kids_slide_11.html

Last edited:
DM hosting the tournament would not be a logistical nightmare

Unfortunately, DM's downtown is freaking dead, and that may be the killer

Was this pre 235 completion? Also there is the new Southeast Connector/MLK.

Also, how does one rank 3rd in commute time, out of the top 100 metros, if your thoughts were true? 70,000 people work downtown everyday, im sure we could handle 15,000-30,000 more.
In Pictures: America's Best Places To Raise A Family - No. 1: Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa - Forbes.com

Except my concerns have nothing to do with commute time or freeway access. My concerns are about parking and the ability of roads on the north side of downtown to accomdate all of the extra traffic.

I used to live at Crocker and 9th street downtown. Wells Fargo is on Crocker and 3rd. I would drive from 9th street to 6th street to get to school. When the state tourneys were in town, it took me 15 minutes to fight the arena traffic to get to University on the other side of 235.

I have no doubt DSM can easily accomdate a large crowd for a concert or sporting event on a single evening, but when they have to host of week long event (that takes place during the work day), the traffic went to crap! Where are they going to park those cars? How are all of those narrow roads going to handle a huge rush in traffic?

I honestly don't think some of you guys understand the human rush that accompanies a huge sporting event like this.

Except my concerns have nothing to do with commute time or freeway access. My concerns are about parking and the ability of roads on the north side of downtown to accomdate all of the extra traffic.

I used to live at Crocker and 9th street downtown. Wells Fargo is on Crocker and 3rd. I would drive from 9th street to 6th street to get to school. When the state tourneys were in town, it took me 15 minutes to fight the arena traffic to get to University on the other side of 235.

I have no doubt DSM can easily accomdate a large crowd for a concert or sporting event on a single evening, but when they have to host of week long event (that takes place during the work day), the traffic went to crap! Where are they going to park those cars? How are all of those narrow roads going to handle a huge rush in traffic?

I honestly don't think some of you guys understand the human rush that accompanies a huge sporting event like this.

As far as parking goes, there is plenty of parking within 2 blocks of the arena. Principal built their own parking ramp at 7th & Park taking most of the stress off the surrounding ramps. Also, Allied service center has since moved into their own brand new building in the Nationwide Western Gateway campus. Furthermore, Aviva has moved into their brand new digs in West Des Moines, so i think some of your concerns have been addressed.