My thoughts on Coach Lickliter

loesshillshawk

FYI..I posted this several weeks ago on mom's site...LOL

First off before everyone rips me and tells me I am the anti-fan. I congratulate the guys for a good win today. Fuller is really turning the corner, I wish Matt could wake up and join him. That soph year is tough...
Most on here think I don't support the basketball program. I have more basketball memorabilia in my hawkeye room then football. My earliest recollection of Iowa Athletics are basketball memories. As most of you know I have been a HS coach for 25 years...had a 65% winning percentage, all be it in girls. However, basketball is basketball and I did take 4 different schools to state tournaments. So I somewhat understand the game, I also have 3 close friend who are in D1 basketball.

Now from day 1 I have been very hesitant about Coach Lickliter and his preparedness for Big Ten Basketball. I personally like Coach and his values, I think he is a good guy. However, he won't win any charisma contest. I would like to give you my breakdown of why I would not of looked at Lick as a guy who could have success at a school like Iowa. By that I mean a school with borderline facilities, a somewhat tarnished rep from the last coaching hire and the coaching release before that.

We know who made Butler a household name and that was Barry Collier, who is the same guy as Lick, nice guy, personality and charisma are not his strong suits either. Barry went to Nebraska, the press loved him, he was congenial, was going to bring the Butler system to Nebraska and play lock down defense and shoot the 3. He couldn't ever get talent to Nebraska (and say what you will but their facilities were decent and money was present to help). After about 4 years of recruiting unathletic guys, boring style of ball (to the fans) the worm started to turn. The press was nice, I remember Tom Shatel in the World Herald wring I want him to succeed but he is failing to bring fans in, failing to bring athletes that are capable of winning in the Conference and his style was somewhat limiting...it was time for Barry to go and sure enough back to Butler he went.

In the meantime Matta takes the helm and really recruits a strong group to Butler...goes 24-8 and draws the interest of Xavier. Off he goes and starts to figure out that the Butler system has its strong points but if he was to succeed at the level he needed to he would have to change. He allowed his guys to create and play in space, press, and run a controlled break. He hence had great success at Xavier going 78-23 and never losing a first round NCAA game and going to the elite 8 once. He figured it out...had a great staff, recruited well and let his guys play....no stifling them with sets, and patience on offense. He goes to Ohio State and even opens up more....

Now Lick takes over for Matta and Butler was already a player in the game...thanks to Collier, followed up even better by Matta. Lick in 01-02 and 02-3 inherited a very good nucleus from Matta and Collier and went 26-6 NIT 2nd round, and 27-6 NCAA Sweet 16, then with his kids went 49-42 the next 3 seasons never finishing higher then 2nd in the conference one year had a .500 conference record, one year had a 7-9 season and one year had a 11-5 season with only 1 trip to the NIT. RED FLAG! Then in his last year in 06-07 (and most will tell you in a VERY WEAK HORIZON LEAGUE) went 13-3 in league and tied for first and had a fairly easy trip to the sweet 16. 3 of 6 years he was not conference champion and 2 of 3 years not even in the top half of the Horizon League, with a 500 team and a losing record team.

His recruiting was marginal at best...65-31 conference record (67%) in a suspect conference. His teams were hard to prepare for with only a day or two to prepare. My argument from day 1 has been he is unprepared for this kind of position. Do I think his system could work...YES...however he has committed a cardinal sin in BCS Conference basketball, he has surrounded himself with a totally inadequate staff. You look at all the highly successful coaches wherever they have been have surrounded themselves with top flight assistants, a mix of x and o guys and at least 2 young recruiting guys. Until Lick understands the staff part he is doomed to failure at Iowa (in my opinion). Do I want him to fail HELL NO...I want whoever is at the helm to have success. I want #5 or higher in the conference with NCAA berths 7 out of 10 seasons...sound familiar? I believe it may take Barta saying change the staff up to get him to win at Iowa. Collier did not figure it out and was out...Matta figured it out and went right up the ladder and continues to do so. These are my thoughts and concerns about our staff, in particular our head coach. I may be totally wet behind the years but I think bringing in two young guys, whether they are recent players at a BIG TIME program, AAU coaches, or former players that have great connections to a hotbed of recruiting. He has to make some changes to succeed at Iowa.

And that is about all I have to say about that...
crazy.gif

Last edited:
I do agree with you, I just wish something would work be it Lick or another coach.

I still don't get why we went after Lick. He stepped into a great situation at Butler when Matta left.
The situation we were is we needed a coach that could "Build" a program back up and he had NO History of doing that.

I don't care if we score 40 pts and win or 100 plus I just want to get back to making the NCAA Tournament!!!!

Welcome to HN loess!!

LoessHillHawk--glad to see you make it over to the new site. Got to have that western Iowa chatter on this board. Saw Dominic Alvis during the football season. He is buying into Doyle and it is starting to show as he is putting weight on. May be a force in a couple years.

Then in his last year in 06-07 (and most will tell you in a VERY WEAK HORIZON LEAGUE) went 13-3 in league and tied for first and had a fairly easy trip to the sweet 16.

Hey loess, GREAT to see you over here. And I want to apologize in advance for disagreeing with you right off the bat! ;)

A "fairly easy trip" to the Sweet 16? Isn't that an Oxymoron? Especially for a Horizon League team? I don't think many would say there are mid-majors that have fairly easy trips to the Sweet 16. If that's the case, then you are stating the teams they were matched up with weren't as good as they were... and in essence, saying that the 06-07 team was actually talented (it was BTW).

You also left out the fact that Butler was paired up against Florida (the #1 seed and winner that year) and gave them their toughest game of the tournament.

Lickliter's 06-07 team proved that he could recruit, coach, and maintain a program. To say less is incorrect.

Can he do it at Iowa? At this point and time, it doesn't look like it. However, using that last team of his as a basis in the sense you are is false.

Storm, that 06-07 team did not prove Lick could maintain a program. It proved that with an experienced team he could have a very successful season. We will see where this season goes from here but yesterday's presser was a disaster for Lick.

I think the difference between the Horizon and the Big Ten for Lick is that even with very marginal talent you can have some success in the Horizon. This allows players to stay involved somewhat despite a coach who doesn't appear to form close bonds to a significant amount of his players. In the Big Ten the negativity is compounded by losing. This leads to more transfers because the players don't buy into his system because there is nothing they see that will change it.

This gets us back to my first point. Lick can only have a successful season if he builds a group of experienced players. If more transfers happen this year he needs to be fired immediately.

Hey loess, GREAT to see you over here. And I want to apologize in advance for disagreeing with you right off the bat! ;)

A "fairly easy trip" to the Sweet 16? Isn't that an Oxymoron? Especially for a Horizon League team? I don't think many would say there are mid-majors that have fairly easy trips to the Sweet 16. If that's the case, then you are stating the teams they were matched up with weren't as good as they were... and in essence, saying that the 06-07 team was actually talented (it was BTW).

You also left out the fact that Butler was paired up against Florida (the #1 seed and winner that year) and gave them their toughest game of the tournament.

Lickliter's 06-07 team proved that he could recruit, coach, and maintain a program. To say less is incorrect.

Can he do it at Iowa? At this point and time, it doesn't look like it. However, using that last team of his as a basis in the sense you are is false.
Stormin
That 06 team barely qualified...they won on a last second shot in the semis of the horizon conference tourny...beat in the finals...and had it not been for about 4 early season (preseason) wins they would not of made the big dance. Good to hear from you...after you rip me.....;)

Stormin
That 06 team barely qualified...they won on a last second shot in the semis of the horizon conference tourny...beat in the finals...and had it not been for about 4 early season (preseason) wins they would not of made the big dance. Good to hear from you...after you rip me.....;)

Barely qualified?

A 5 seed barely qualified?
They had a Pomeroy Rating of 25 that year.

They were as big of a lock as you can get locked in.
Of course the early wins were key, how else is a Horizon League team going to prove to the committee they deserve to be in? Surely not on their conf. resume.

They beat Indiana, Gonzaga, Notre Dame, Purdue, and Tennesee (a team that lost by 1 to OSU, the NC runner up, in the tourney) that year... as well as Maryland in the tourney (a Terp team that beat a great Duke team twice, a very good Clemson team twice, and even beat UNC that year). That's why I question the assertion that Butler had an easy road to the SS - going through that Maryland team was not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Butler did not barely qualify for the 2007 tourney... they were a solid lock. The 5 seed they got is proof enough.

Butler got back there the next year too with Lickliter's recruits... a lot of people forget to mention the 2007-08 Butler team which was essentially Todd's team, including Matt Howard a recruit that Todd told to stay committed to the Bulldogs. That 07-08 conveniently gets left out of talks, even though Todd didn't coach them, he built that team. On the contrary, Alford built the Iowa 07-08 team.

Stormin
That 06 team barely qualified...they won on a last second shot in the semis of the horizon conference tourny...beat in the finals...and had it not been for about 4 early season (preseason) wins they would not of made the big dance.

Ya they were one of the bubble teams that got a 5-seed :rolleyes:. Most of their good wins were early season because they're in the Horizon league and their easy road to the Sweet 16 included win over #22 Maryland (4-seed).

That year they played 10 NCAA tournament teams and beat 8 of them @Notre Dame, Indiana, @Tenn, Gonzaga, Purdue, Wright St, and in the tournament beat Old Dominion and Maryland. The lost to 3 NCAA tournament teams @Wright State & again in conference tournament, Southern Illinois by 4 (they were a Sweet 16 team), and Florida in the Sweet 16.

Not saying Lick will work in Iowa but that was a solid year.

EDIT: Looks like Spank beat me to the post

Last edited:
First off, Loess, it's good to hear from you again! I enjoy reading your posts.

Back on topic, who the h*ll care what's TL did at Butler in the HORIZON league at this point. I feel like you guys are defending his hire and maybe by year 6, we'll see a tourney bid. This bball program is horrible, and by historic proportions. Loess brings up great comparisons of two other coaches that came from Butler...one was able to adapt and have success, the other didn't and he failed miserably. I've had my doubts after the first season about his system working in the BigTen. Unless you can shoot lights-out from the perimeter and have no inside game, you're done.

First off, Loess, it's good to hear from you again! I enjoy reading your posts.

Back on topic, who the h*ll care what's TL did at Butler in the HORIZON league at this point. I feel like you guys are defending his hire and maybe by year 6, we'll see a tourney bid. This bball program is horrible, and by historic proportions. Loess brings up great comparisons of two other coaches that came from Butler...one was able to adapt and have success, the other didn't and he failed miserably. I've had my doubts after the first season about his system working in the BigTen. Unless you can shoot lights-out from the perimeter and have no inside game, you're done.

Butler has proven it can play with the Big Dogs.
As far as 3pt shooting goes, Butler has yet to finish in the Top 25 in the nation in 3pt shooting %. They are usually somewhere in the top 1/3 or so, but it's not meant to be a live/die by the three system. Iowa is just stuck in that mode right now.

As far as 3pt shooting goes, Butler has yet to finish in the Top 25 in the nation in 3pt shooting %. They are usually somewhere in the top 1/3 or so, but it's not meant to be a live/die by the three system. Iowa is just stuck in that mode right now.

I respectfully disagree with you there, Spank. Sure, Butler can play with them and beat them in early season match-ups or a few one-and-done games in the tourney...however, I think it would be a totally different story if they had to play an entire conference slate. For example, how would they do in the BigTen with Iowa's conference schedule? I know that has been debated many times over, but I just think that's something entirely different...when you have to compete in a much more physical conference where the players are bigger, faster and stronger.

I really wish we could be debating what seed Iowa was going to be in the tourney rather than this though, that's for sure.

I respectfully disagree with you there, Spank. Sure, Butler can play with them and beat them in early season match-ups or a few one-and-done games in the tourney...however, I think it would be a totally different story if they had to play an entire conference slate. For example, how would they do in the BigTen with Iowa's conference schedule? I know that has been debated many times over, but I just think that's something entirely different...when you have to compete in a much more physical conference where the players are bigger, faster and stronger.

I really wish we could be debating what seed Iowa was going to be in the tourney rather than this though, that's for sure.

Good points.

Stormin
I believe if Butler plays in a BCS conference that seems them on film week in and week out they would struggle to be top half of the conference. Collier proved that the Butler Way is not going to work at the big time level. If Lick would just budge a little and show recruits he lets them create in space he would have some more luck on the recruiting trails. He also needs to take a page out of Alford's book and get some new assistants who can recruit. Little Richard Pitino (Ricks boy) in Louisville would be a great hire...oh we are talking assistants sorry I was dreaming....;)

I'm still a Lick skeptic but if you give Matta credit for Lick's success. Who gets the credit for Butler since then? Didn't they win 30 games or something and make the tourney again after Lick left? Shouldn't Lick get some of the credit for the players he left behind?

Latest posts