My take on the PC

SpiderRico

I know a lot of people went on auto-pilot once KF announced that there wouldn't be any coaching changes and that he, himself, wasn't going anywhere.

But if you take a step back, there were some things in this PC that probably haven't been seen from him ever:

1. He flat out admitted that he hasn't been as attentive to the football team as he needed to be. Between fundraising, spending time helping out former players, being involved in the new construction projects. He allowed his time to be monopolized by outside distractions and took full responsibility and accountability for it.

2. There were no condescending comments, no sarcastic responses....it was as humble, hat-in-hand, and contrite as I've ever seen him. KF is certainly a proud man....sometimes to a fault.....but he is cognizant of the issues and appears to be rededicating himself to this program.

3. By all accounts, he and his staff will be visiting his friends on the Packers staff and will take a lot of things from them. He did something similar to this after the 2003 Orange Bowl fiasco and it worked pretty good for him.

4. He all but admitted that they will be giving CJ the starting reigns next year.

5. He admitted that their goal every year is to win the B1G. That's the first time in 16 years I've ever heard KF admit what one of the teams' goals are. Typically it's "our goal is to get better" or "our goal is to improve" or some other kind of coach speak. I think it's important for him to articulate that his goal is to win the B1G.

I'm with most people in wishing that he would have made some staff changes....but I also understand that if he thinks he wasn't as engaged with the team as he should have been, that he's not going to fire someone for what he feels were his failings of attention and engagement. Kirk's a lot of things....but he's certainly not a "pass-the-buck" kind of guy.

I think next year is make or break. If we win 8 or more games, then he'll press forward. If we don't, my guess is that he will work with Barta on a buyout and resign.

That's how I took it also. Glad you articulated it because I couldn't come up with the right words.

Agreed, it was an interesting tone and he is clearly saying that he is the one that must work harder. I've been ready for kf to move on for years because of game day coaching; however, I do respect him and like the guy...I hope it works.

So saying you phoned it in the last couple years is a good thing? Well go to your bosses tomorrow and say the same thing.

Will he take any players with him to Green Bay? Since it was offensive based, we can only assume the QB. Will he take all 3, or just CJB?

Bottom line is he and Barta are "all in" for next fall. I'm guessing that 7 wins (with one or two impressive ones) and a good bowl showing will be a minimum or its bye-bye Coach Ferentz.

So saying you phoned it in the last couple years is a good thing? Well go to your bosses tomorrow and say the same thing.

It's one thing to be upset about the results from this last year....it's another to just make $hit up.

Unfortunately, you chose the latter. Please point me to anywhere that indicated that KF "phoned it in".

I'll hang up and listen....

I had a work conflict in the middle of it. Was there a mention of if John Kenny is switching back to LB? Or if Jameer Outsey is still slotted as a LB or is he switching to DE? I would like to see them both back there they could both be good run stoppers. If not more of these details will be worked out in spring ball I guess.

I agree with points being made but I can't help but wonder why an AD would even allow this press conference to be scheduled considering there was nothing substantial to be announced. It was primarily Ferentz acknowledging that he knows fans are upset and that he and the staff are going to work harder.

I respect Ferentz for his commitment but I don't know that I need a press conference to have that conveyed to me. I think I heard Hlas eventually ask why did you have this press conference? He might have reached the same conclusion after realizing after 20 minutes that nothing of substance was going to being offered.

If the AD thought this was a way to help stem the tide with ticket sales I think it might work just the opposite. People expecting "something" got little if that..........kinda how the season went ironically.

It's one thing to be upset about the results from this last year....it's another to just make $hit up.

Unfortunately, you chose the latter. Please point me to anywhere that indicated that KF "phoned it in".

I'll hang up and listen....

Really? I have seen the transcript. Exactly what he said in different words. Reading comprehension my friend.

So he basically apologized. Work harder, watch more film. We've got some good coaches.

Guess what: working harder and keeping GOOD coaches does not mean you'll have a GREAT team.

I'm looking for greatness, not more hard work. You can't have change without making a change.

There was nothing to see or hear at this PC.

Yes KF admitted he's probably been stretched too thin with coaching, fundraising, and other activities (the guy does deserve a life). So while good for him to admit it, it's kind of baffling to think that our athletic department is OK with our football coaching spending less time coaching football. It does have a fat cat mentality, and Barta/Mason being more content with bringing in money versus winning games.

KF stated he has a philosophy that he will stick to. He prefers sound defense, and ball control offense. I am not sure what changes with the Green Bay Packers he is talking about? It goes against everything he stands for.

What I do not get, is the holding things close to the chest. He knows that there is unrest, that fans are upset and his seat is getting warmer. Does he think that he'll tip off future opponents if he says "WE ARE GOING TO MAKE CHANGES".

I think a lot of fans would have some hope if he just came out and stated that things will be different. Not "We'll clean some things up".

The sad part is, we just don't have the talent on this team. CJ could develop into something, we've seen glimpses, but behind next years OL....I wouldn't be surprised to see him regress, or get hurt (and he's injury prone just like Jake).

Guess we'll see what happens come April, but I think it's best if we all assume no changes.

What I gathered is that Kirk admitted he hasn't been spending enough time in recent years staying on top of trends in football around the country. "Haven't researched enough football" or something like that because he had to go out in the offseason and fundraise for the new facilities. Isn't that what the AD is for? He also admitted he needed to have more 1 on 1 with players and coaches. I do appreciate Kirk admitting that but it still bugs me that he's seeing this in hindsight. It should be Barta's job to go out and get the funding. Iowa is one of the top revenue schools in the country as well...shouldn't of been that difficult.

I just read the transcript, I had a slight problems with the questions as that they were too focused on one position. Sure quarterback is important but it's not all. I want to keep as up to date as possible on changes at LB, OL, FB, safeties, WR and more. The media has the entire 2 deeps and I want to know more for my own information and for purposes of conversation. If a friend asks me about any position I want to be able to answer easily. I guess I will have to find out as best I can as this off season goes on.

Maybe he is stepping away from fundraising because fundraising is drying up because football wins are drying up.

Keep Positive, OP.

Its all about taking care of the ball and stopping the run.

Rinse and repeat.

More mind numbing football in Kinnick. But I hope not.

Well, in 2015 we won't have to watch a full back play tailback for the first time since the OU bowl game.

Latest posts