My recipe for KF moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonrn

I’m trying to be a solutions oriented person so here is my recipe for getting to a resolution point by point:

1) obviously fire Chris Doyle immediately, he’s extremely toxic. No resignation, just have a brief press conference and announce he’s done. Elevate braithwaite
2) Completely suspend Brian ferentz one season. Have polasek be interim OC (he might be a better play caller anyways) temporarily elevate an interim TE coach from pool of analysts/grad assistants
3) donate $500k in his name to university to establish a scholarship fund for black students
4) Every season (like the ANF honoree) honor a black player from Iowa’s history and put them on a plaque outside kinnick stadium. Bring them to a game. Start with Larry station.
5) Rename kinnick stadium kinnick-slater stadium like suggested on twitter.
6) call and personally apologize to every player that feels they have been wronged whether he agrees or not, because why not?
7) swallow his pride and make a brief appearance at a protest.

The question that comes to mind....do you do the expedient thing or the right thing?

KF at a rally might turn into. Paterno type rally with pro and con chants.

KF might survive corporate America as CEO. I emphasize might.

BF would not.

I’m trying to be a solutions oriented person so here is my recipe for getting to a resolution point by point:

1) obviously fire Chris Doyle immediately, he’s extremely toxic. No resignation, just have a brief press conference and announce he’s done. Elevate braithwaite
2) Completely suspend Brian ferentz one season. Have polasek be interim OC (he might be a better play caller anyways) temporarily elevate an interim TE coach from pool of analysts/grad assistants
3) donate $500k in his name to university to establish a scholarship fund for black students
4) Every season (like the ANF honoree) honor a black player from Iowa’s history and put them on a plaque outside kinnick stadium. Bring them to a game. Start with Larry station.
6) call and personally apologize to every player that feels they have been wronged whether he agrees or not, because why not?

I agree with #1 completely. Toxic is the best word to describe Doyle at this point. Unless this is the biggest, cruelest, well timed conspiracy in modern sports, with confirmed testimony from hundreds of former black players that its all lies, and admission of that from the players calling him out, Doyle's reputation is completely toast. He'll never work at a P5 school again.

The rest all sound good as well. I'd like to wait & see the results of the investigation before going much further. But a huge punishment of Brian or termination outright might well be what Kirk has to do to stay at Iowa depending on the investigation findings.

It could come down to the question of is he willing to take that step?

Regardless of Brian's last name I don't see how you suspend an OC for an entire season. Either you cut him lose or you don't but I don't see how a year off will do anything other than start the cycle again once his time is up.

Doyle is one thing. BF may well be another. I just have not seen direct examples given by grads or current players that move into the race category. If I am missing something here, I will certainly apologize. As to Doyle, I want to see a full evaluation of his behavior before we judge. The credibility when you fire someone is very important.

If BF is suspended, I suspect KoK would step in as OC but I guess it could be Pol.

I agree with your suggestions, but I think a stated transition plan from KF is also best for the program. He should be allowed to take the lead on all the bullet points you mentioned (as well as standing up the advisory committee headed by Daniels) which will both be good for the program and his own dignity. But I don't think he should coach beyond the end of the year, and I don't know if he will want to do so anyway if he fires his right-hand man and suspends his son. Of course $ factor in as well ...

I would name Phil Parker as the coach-in-waiting. That way continuity remains for both current and future players, but without the baggage of Doyle and the Ferentz family. I have seen one complaint about PP (from DJ Johnson), and it was immediately put to rest by both his teammate, Geno Stone, and Jovon Johnson. Even DJK liked PP.

A clean-the-house scenario shifts the blame from systemic racism to bad actors. Many of the players said the entire university was unwelcoming, not just the football program.

But Doyle emotionally abused players, with systemic racism funneling this abuse toward black athletes. He should be fired.

I haven't seen all of the tweets, so what did BF do other than say someone's tattoo was stupid? If thats racist I'm in deep shit.

1011907343%20SM52.jpg
t7w5UmDX_400x400.jpg

BF would be better off just leaving, officially on his own accord.

Also, Kirk at a rally would look desperate and pandering, even a tad insulting.

Bring all the black players back including DJK as team captains. Let them come on the field so fans Can show that their lives matter to them.

7) swallow his pride and make a brief appearance at a protest.[/QUOTE
Wholly cow. You should work in PR. Great stuff. Would LOVE each of these things and would be needed to move forward. Hope his PR person is thinking the same way as you

If BF is suspended, I suspect KoK would step in as OC but I guess it could be Pol.

I agree with your suggestions, but I think a stated transition plan from KF is also best for the program. He should be allowed to take the lead on all the bullet points you mentioned (as well as standing up the advisory committee headed by Daniels) which will both be good for the program and his own dignity. But I don't think he should coach beyond the end of the year, and I don't know if he will want to do so anyway if he fires his right-hand man and suspends his son. Of course $ factor in as well ...

I would name Phil Parker as the coach-in-waiting. That way continuity remains for both current and future players, but without the baggage of Doyle and the Ferentz family. I have seen one complaint about PP (from DJ Johnson), and it was immediately put to rest by both his teammate, Geno Stone, and Jovon Johnson. Even DJK liked PP.

A clean-the-house scenario shifts the blame from systemic racism to bad actors. Many of the players said the entire university was unwelcoming, not just the football program.

But Doyle emotionally abused players, with systemic racism funneling this abuse toward black athletes. He should be fired.
Ditto on Seth, who might have actually broke the law by posting a students confidential grades. Goodbye.

So you are going to pick a person for a job based on the color of their skin? And that isn't racist?

racial quotas, affirmative action and the Rooney Rule are left wing racism. I agree, but it’s 2020 now.

Last edited:
No one is going to fire their son when there is no evidence of any real wrongdoing. You do not sacrifice your kid unless your are a moron like Stannis Baratheon (yes, I went Game of Thrones on you)

My take is that BF is an asshole, but without the extra ingredient of being a vaguely racist asshole like Doyle is accused of, then I see no basis to fire or suspend.

Gents, personally, I care a lot about Iowa's culture, but I also care about the product on the field. Unless, more information comes out, I do not see a need to clean house or even partially clean house, as suggested. I hate to say this, but having a winning season will be important to help deoderize this situation. So:

1. You have a guilty scapegoat in Doyle, fire him ASAP.
2. KF must take full responsibility and pledge change through diversity training and yes diversity hiring. Cannot imagine Doyle's replacement not being Black.
3. Embrace your past players who feel wronged, offer sincere apologies, invite them back into the family to assist in the culture change.
4. Most importantly, rally the current players to band together to assist their slightly out of touch coaches to make the necessary cultural changes that respects KF's old school approach while still giving room for all kids to be themselves and be respected.

No one is going to fire their son when there is no evidence of any real wrongdoing. You do not sacrifice your kid unless your are a moron like Stannis Baratheon (yes, I went Game of Thrones on you)

My take is that BF is an asshole, but without the extra ingredient of being a vaguely racist asshole like Doyle is accused of, then I see no basis to fire or suspend.

Gents, personally, I care a lot about Iowa's culture, but I also care about the product on the field. Unless, more information comes out, I do not see a need to clean house or even partially clean house, as suggested. I hate to say this, but having a winning season will be important to help deoderize this situation. So:

1. You have a guilty scapegoat in Doyle, fire him ASAP.
2. KF must take full responsibility and pledge change through diversity training and yes diversity hiring. Cannot imagine Doyle's replacement not being Black.
3. Embrace your past players who feel wronged, offer sincere apologies, invite them back into the family to assist in the culture change.
4. Most importantly, rally the current players to band together to assist their slightly out of touch coaches to make the necessary cultural changes that respects KF's old school approach while still giving room for all kids to be themselves and be respected.

Oh my. This sounds very sensible. Rare treat these days. And, thank you. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts