My man Keno...

Ok, when the #1 reason to hire a guy is because people liked his dad, you cannot convince me that he is the best coach we can hire!

I have a 3'x3' post-it note in my hand right now, and using it, I can write down everything Keno Davis has accomplished on his own.

Everything I have read says Keno's team plays the worst defense in the Big East. He certainly would have not learned D from his dad.

Ghost...that's interesting, because I have a 10" x 10" piece of paper with all of his accomplishments and I'm starting to use the backside. You must have really, really small penmanship.

WTF does that mean? Any proven coach knows how to win, he just hasn't proven he can win with his own players.

How's that for you?

Nice refutation of each of the OP's 10 points. Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for saving me some work! ;)

Last edited:
Ill take a chance on refuting your refutes, here goes:

I've just been convinced by another poster that this is going to be the hire, and as we talked, the more we both became convinced this is a great hire, I am changing my stance on this.. a 180.

Here are 10 reasons to hire Keno Davis.

1) Instant sell out for the first few games as this is a name hire. And as they see the fun style of bball, the fans will stay so long as they aren't getting blown out which is difficult to have happen in his style of play.

Any coach is going to be an instant sell-out for the first few games until said coach proves he can't win.

-The Davis name keeps fans interested all of next season and into recruiting for 2011

2) With sell outs comes a real home court advantage, making Iowa BBall fun again for players and fans and making a few close games swing into Iowa's favor.

This statement has nothing to do with Keno.

-True

3) He needs to hire a monster recruiting coordinator, that is real, and I think he will, or I think it may be mandated by Barta.

Again, nothing to do with Keno. You could insert any coach's name here.

-I think Keno has an advantage over others due to age and hopefully his drive to succeed as many other posters have noted he really hasn't done THAT much

4) I agree that it is too early for him, but this is home, and the bar is set so low that he can have 3-4 years to grow into the job. He will eventually be a great coach, and his style will make us instantly competitive.

No he couldn't. I think the bar is set HIGH and Barta knows it. I think that Barta's job is now on the line and he knows that too. The fan base will not accept another 3-4 years of putrid ball. Especially when Barta says money is not a problem.

-Your comment above could be said of anyone we hire

5) I think the entire team as well as the entire recruiting class stays for him. McCabe is already on board, Marble will certainly stay, and they will work on Larson and Brust. I am convinced Payne and Brust are a package deal at this point and Payne is going to have wet dreams about taking the ball end to end freely.

Do we really care that much about one recruiting class? Brust has been named 2nd team All-State. Marble is a legacy, the kid from SD has baggage. McCabe is 6'9". It's at best the 5th best recruiting class in the Big10.

-I think 90% of fans would be happier if we kept these recruits rather than lost them

6) He has a top 50 national recruit going to Providence and we have an open scholarship.

I agree with this point. There is rumors of another top 100 kid signing as well.

-so your point about the recruiting coordinator may not be valid then?

7) This is not a stepping stone for him, this is a destiny for him.

Are we watching the diner scene in "Back To The Future"?

-Nice BTTF reference but the OP of this list has a good point if things don't go well straight away for someone like Pearl he will still be hot enough to jump ship easily

8) He can get on campus NOW!

Which is exactly why he's not a good hire. Make the NCAAs with a team that your dad didn't put together then we can talk. He will be available in 5-10 years.

-So if one of the other candidates in the tourney that is a favored seed gets upset in the first round that would look pretty good to you. You can't predict the future, and unlike in BTTF you can't go back to change the future.

9) The hire will not break the bank, even if our bank is awfully hard to break.

He makes $1million right now. Lick made $1.2million (maybe a little higher but I'm not looking it up). Why pay another unproven mid-major, flavor of the month that kind of coin just to learn on the job?

-Last time I checked Providence was in the Big East and has a pretty solid tradition of playing good ball and turning out solid coaches.

10) He has an intimate knowledge of how to win at Iowa, what Iowa fans want to see and how to be a promoter of the program at I-Club events across the country... he will be a great fundraiser.

-you didn't have any snark to add to this item so i'll defer

Sure glad Barta isn't listening to you Keno wanters.He finished 15th in his conference this year! Great. I hope and also pretty well know he is not on Iowa's short list. I told everyone weeks ago that Lick was gone. I am telling you now KD will not get a look. We need someone bigger then him. Also,he,like us is not going dancing. Anyone seeing Barta headed to Providence R.I? Maybe Dr.Tom is on the plane with Barta! If we were going to hire KD,we could do it today. He is at home waiting for the call.

Keno's Drake team played very good half court defense (albeit mostly zone with matchup principles) and didn't use a hard press very often.

Someone posted elsewhere a very good thought about Keno, who is reported to have expressed interest in the job: If it's true that he wants it and we therefore won't do any "worse" than that, that should be reassuring about outcome of the search as a whole. And I'm among those who think Keno, while not my first choice, could turn out to be a great hire.

A friend of mine is good friends with someone on Keno's staff. I asked him last week what the chances of Keno coming to IC were. He said he didn't think Keno would come as he recently signed an extension and was very excited about his upcoming class, along with the young talent he already has. Maybe things have changed, but I still don't see it.

A friend of mine is good friends with someone on Keno's staff. I asked him last week what the chances of Keno coming to IC were. He said he didn't think Keno would come as he recently signed an extension and was very excited about his upcoming class, along with the young talent he already has. Maybe things have changed, but I still don't see it.

Key words in the above quote, "last week"

I don't think Keno Davis is such a commodity that he would sell-out CHA of his own accord. If his team starts well, then yes, sell-outs will follow. IMHO, the only coach that would sell-out games immediately would be Pearl, for his pure enthusiasm.

I've just been convinced by another poster that this is going to be the hire, and as we talked, the more we both became convinced this is a great hire, I am changing my stance on this.. a 180.

1) Instant sell out for the first few games as this is a name hire. And as they see the fun style of bball, the fans will stay so long as they aren't getting blown out which is difficult to have happen in his style of play.

2) With sell outs comes a real home court advantage, making Iowa BBall fun again for players and fans and making a few close games swing into Iowa's favor.

3) He needs to hire a monster recruiting coordinator, that is real, and I think he will, or I think it may be mandated by Barta.

4) I agree that it is too early for him, but this is home, and the bar is set so low that he can have 3-4 years to grow into the job. He will eventually be a great coach, and his style will make us instantly competitive.

5) I think the entire team as well as the entire recruiting class stays for him. McCabe is already on board, Marble will certainly stay, and they will work on Larson and Brust. I am convinced Payne and Brust are a package deal at this point and Payne is going to have wet dreams about taking the ball end to end freely.

6) He has a top 50 national recruit going to Providence and we have an open scholarship.

10) He has an intimate knowledge of how to win at Iowa, what Iowa fans want to see and how to be a promoter of the program at I-Club events across the country... he will be a great fundraiser.

No way is it Keeno. No way .. This is not a splash hire ... This is too risky. One successful season at Drake and two very so-so seasons at Providence are not the answer to Iowa's woes ... Think this through people ... My God, if his last name was not Davis, nobody would even be mentioning him for the job ...

Original post is the biggest crock of crap spread since this all began.
"If Providence was in the Big Ten this year they finish no worse than 5th and he wouldn't have 19 losses"---no they'd probably only have 18---make that 17, as they would probably split with Iowa. Hawk 12345 has the post of the thread. Keep the Davises---both of them--- out of it---completely.

My God, if his last name was not Davis, nobody would even be mentioning him for the job ...

My point exactly...I was going to write that, too. But, his last name is Davis, and that scares me. Keno has proven to be mediocre, at best. How many tournament wins does Davis have? Zero. Next candidate, please.

No way is it Keeno. No way .. This is not a splash hire ... This is too risky. One successful season at Drake and two very so-so seasons at Providence are not the answer to Iowa's woes ... Think this through people ... My God, if his last name was not Davis, nobody would even be mentioning him for the job ...

At this point is anyone other than Pearl a "splash hire"?

My point exactly...I was going to write that, too. But, his last name is Davis, and that scares me. Keno has proven to be mediocre, at best. How many tournament wins does Davis have? Zero. Next candidate, please.

Alford and Lick had pretty good success in the NCAA's....didn't exactly transfer over to success at Iowa.

Here's the deal for me: If Pearl, Drew and Turgeon (my top 3) all say no, then I have no problem whatsoever with Keno. The three main qualities I keep hearing people say we need are: 1. Good Recruiter - Keno brought in good players to Drake as an assistant and is bringing top-flight guys to Providence 2. Up-tempo style - Keno's 3 teams have averaged, I believe, over 80 points per game. The other nice thing is that he seems to have taken the best from his father's style and jettisoned the not-so-good-things 3. BCS Head Coach - Keno passes this test, albeit his experience is low. I don't hold the 1st 2 years against him because his first year was a senior laden team that weren't his players and this year's team was nearly the youngest team in the country.

Is he the perfect candidate? Far from it. But I'll take him as a fall-back candidate anyday.

I'll take a stab at this.

First the whole premise of hiring a coach is to be successful (i.e. win). Let's look at why you're advocating to hire Keno.

Any of the top 5-8 candidates being discussed would fit this. This is a short sided and cosmetic view and not anything that validates Keno's ability to be a successful coach at Iowa

Again, nothing that validates Keno is able to be successful (especially long-term) at Iowa

Any coach whose name doesn't recruit itself, and espescially any mid-major coach would have this qualifier attached. Again, this is nothing that validates Keno would be successful at Iowa.

The fan base is at a point that the new coach doesn't get the ability to learn on the job anymore. We've been down that road, twice. It hasn't worked out either time. Again, there is nothing substantive here that explains why or how Keno would be more successful at Iowa than anyother up-tempo coach.

This is purley assumption for any coach. To say Keno has an advantage here is purely speculative. I agree he has a good chance to keep all the recruits, but I don't think it's any better or worse than the other 5-8 coaches who have been discussed as replacements.

I'm assuming this is a signed recruit. Meaning, we were upset when it was rumored Alford was trying to poach recruits, we should not be okay with Keno doing the same. This should not be considered an advantage. This player is off limits to Iowa.

Again, it doesn't mean it will makes him successful. You could also argue that a coach who doesn't see Iowa as their final destination will work harder becasue they are trying for something "bigger and better"

This is only an advantage in a very short-sighted view. FIt helps only to quickly (hopefully) shore up our signed recruits. This is a negative in that it means his current team didn't make NCAA or NIT. For me it's more of a negative than a positive.

According to Barta this is a non-factor. And agin (I'm sounding repative) doens't validate Keno as a successful coach.

His dad has intimate knowledge of how to win at Iowa. Certainly Mr. Davis will help Keno, but this isn't Keno that's making these connections it's his dads connections. And again, (or the final time) it does not validate that Keno will be a successful coach. Only that he will be well liked (at least initially).

In all of your points the focus has been about window dressing and not substantive. None of your points give validity that Keno would be a coach that can get Iowa back to winning consistently. You've made good points as to why he might be a popular hire and fan favorite for the first year or two, but after that, there has to be some substance.

While Keno possesses a lot of the secondary traits we are seeking in a coach (i.e nice guy), I'm not convinced he is established enough in possessing the primary trait needed... winning consistently.

Last edited:

Latest posts