My man Keno...

Keno's Drake team played very good half court defense (albeit mostly zone with matchup principles) and didn't use a hard press very often.

Someone posted elsewhere a very good thought about Keno, who is reported to have expressed interest in the job: If it's true that he wants it and we therefore won't do any "worse" than that, that should be reassuring about outcome of the search as a whole. And I'm among those who think Keno, while not my first choice, could turn out to be a great hire.

Barta doesn't have the luxury of hring someone who could be a great hire. Barta sees the line, and he knows his *** is on it. The next hire has to be a great hire. Not a great hire in that he will get the fans to cream their shorts and celebrate, but a geat hire in that he needs the tools to stop the freefall, build a solid foundation, and make this team into a winner.

Keno, simply put, has not demonstarted that ability. He has one thing going for him, his name. Barta is not going to risk his neck to hire someone with a name the fans will like.

I think Keno would do better than SA or TL have done.... not sure that is good enough... but, at this point I might take it and hope for the best.

Barta doesn't have the luxury of hring someone who could be a great hire. Barta sees the line, and he knows his *** is on it. The next hire has to be a great hire. Not a great hire in that he will get the fans to cream their shorts and celebrate, but a geat hire in that he needs the tools to stop the freefall, build a solid foundation, and make this team into a winner.

Keno, simply put, has not demonstarted that ability. He has one thing going for him, his name. Barta is not going to risk his neck to hire someone with a name the fans will like.

I agree. Unfortunately, he may not have a choice if they all say no.

People focus too much on short-term success. A mid-major coach wins a few games with a good group of upperclassmen and he is a "hot coach," for example Alford or Lowery at SIU a few years ago. And if a guy hasn't had great success short-term everyone deems him crap.

But every job is different. Different circumstances, different challenges, different values, ect... A coach's success at one school doesn't guarantee success at another, and previous success doesn't guarantee success here (Ferentz had a losing record at Maine). We need to look at skills and fit. The question is can the coach win here, what he did somewhere else is useful information, but not dispostive.

I'm skeptical a wining power conference coach will come here. If we can get one that fits great. If not, Keno has some positives. First, he has spent two years learning the ropes in the most urban, dirty, competitive, and talented conference. You don't survive in the Big East unless you can recruit players and make recruiting connections. Keno has received a crash course on Big Conference basketball. That learning is useful. His most recent class is "national" and he signed a Top 50 player out of NY. That suggests he can recruit. He is also doing this at one of the traditionally worst, smallest, and least competitive Big East Basketball schools (they are like the PSU of the Big 10),

I think people are undervaluing what two years of Big East experience does for Keno. Keno isn't naive, coaching in the Big East he realizes he can't win with some magic "system," I think Keno realizes you win with horses. Keno will come in here, make connections, and try to get Top 100 players. Look at his staff, it is built to recruit. Keno will come to Iowa with a gameplan and hit the ground running. His 2 years at Providence will have helped him develop the plan. This doesn't even touch upon the fact that Keno will have a familiarity with Iowa, a connection with Iowa City, AAU coaches, and what-not that will help him market the program from the minute he gets here.

People focus too much on short-term success. A mid-major coach wins a few games with a good group of upperclassmen and he is a "hot coach," for example Alford or Lowery at SIU a few years ago. And if a guy hasn't had great success short-term everyone deems him crap.

But every job is different. Different circumstances, different challenges, different values, ect... A coach's success at one school doesn't guarantee success at another, and previous success doesn't guarantee success here (Ferentz had a losing record at Maine). We need to look at skills and fit. The question is can the coach win here, what he did somewhere else is useful information, but not dispostive.

I'm skeptical a wining power conference coach will come here. If we can get one that fits great. If not, Keno has some positives. First, he has spent two years learning the ropes in the most urban, dirty, competitive, and talented conference. You don't survive in the Big East unless you can recruit players and make recruiting connections. Keno has received a crash course on Big Conference basketball. That learning is useful. His most recent class is "national" and he signed a Top 50 player out of NY. That suggests he can recruit. He is also doing this at one of the traditionally worst, smallest, and least competitive Big East Basketball schools (they are like the PSU of the Big 10),

I think people are undervaluing what two years of Big East experience does for Keno. Keno isn't naive, coaching in the Big East he realizes he can't win with some magic "system," I think Keno realizes you win with horses. Keno will come in here, make connections, and try to get Top 100 players. Look at his staff, it is built to recruit. Keno will come to Iowa with a gameplan and hit the ground running. His 2 years at Providence will have helped him develop the plan. This doesn't even touch upon the fact that Keno will have a familiarity with Iowa, a connection with Iowa City, AAU coaches, and what-not that will help him market the program from the minute he gets here.

Well said.

You did a great job summarizing my thoughts on him as well. Think of it this way, we'd be getting a good coach that's ALREADY HAD on the job training. It'd be no different than what New Mexico did to us.

This sounds about right...

Keno will do just fine at Iowa if given the chance. BP is still my first choice... even if the chances are slim.

You did a great job summarizing my thoughts on him as well. Think of it this way, we'd be getting a good coach that's ALREADY HAD on the job training. It'd be no different than what New Mexico did to us.

Keno has 3 years of TOTAL head coaching experience. alford had 9 years of head coaching exerience before Iowa hired him. When you add those 9 years plus the 9 that he was at Iowa that is 18 YEARS of head coach experience compared to Keno's 3.

Big difference.

Keno has 3 years of TOTAL head coaching experience. alford had 9 years of head coaching exerience before Iowa hired him. When you add those 9 years plus the 9 that he was at Iowa that is 18 YEARS of head coach experience compared to Keno's 3.

Big difference.

Some people's learning curves are, shall we say, quicker.

;)

hawkeye12345....How many years of head coaching experience did KF have before he came to Iowa? 3 at MAINE.

Experience does not equal success and if you ever been responsible for hiring employees, you learn that lesson quickly. Usually, the hard way.

hawkeye12345....How many years of head coaching experience did KF have before he came to Iowa? 3 at MAINE.

Experience does not equal success and if you ever been responsible for hiring employees, you learn that lesson quickly. Usually, the hard way.

Serious?

Ferentz had 19 years of assistant coaching experience including 8 at Iowa and 6 in the NFL.

Keno started his coaching career under Bruce Pearl at SIU, a DII program in 1995. He was an assistant for 12 years including a stint at Southeast Missouri St with Gary Garner as their head coach...who you ask? The former head coach at Drake. He has been to the NCAA tournament ONE time at ANY of the schools during his 'career'. He parlayed ONE great season at Drake, which was Mr. Davis's team, and landed a fat contract at Providence where he continues to lose games.

I hope to God that Barta does not even consider him for the job.

The more I think about it, the more I dont think I want Keno to be the next coach. I'm just not convinced that he is the recruiter we need. I know he will put butts in the seat right away, but that seems like "splash" hire, not necessarily the "best" hire for the program.

I think if it's not Pearl, I would like to see Hewitt get a look, and maybe Barbee. If those do not work, then I think you go to all the coaches you know and trust, and get the top assistant that in the opinion of coaching circles that can RECRUIT and is ready to make the step to be a head coach. I think it saves the University some money as you can get them cheaper.

Like someone posted before (in another thread) the Izzo's, Pitino's, Williams's, Self's, were all assistants before....

Latest posts