My Hope For Cade This Saturday.

MelroseHawkins

I hope he starts and gets 2-3 productive drives with some scores than sit him out to avoid any further injury. This would also let Deacon get the majority of reps for experience and live game action the rest of the game. I just hope between Cade and the D they can put up 24-27 pts by mid 2nd Q and pull him for the above reasons.

Iowa hasn't been the best team in the past putting away early season cupcake opponents and getting the 2nd or 3rd QB get in for reps. Hopefully that will change Saturday. It kind of needs to, IMO.

I hope he starts and gets 2-3 productive drives with some scores than sit him out to avoid any further injury. This would also let Deacon get the majority of reps for experience and live game action the rest of the game. I just hope between Cade and the D they can put up 24-27 pts by mid 2nd Q and pull him for the above reasons.

Iowa hasn't been the best team in the past putting away early season cupcake opponents and getting the 2nd or 3rd QB get in for reps. Hopefully that will change Saturday. It kind of needs to, IMO.
"24-27 pts by mid-2nd quarter..."
Man, that is some Jim Jones strength kool-aid!

Regardless of the score it needs to be a statement game on the offensive side of the ball. This offense has been brutally picked apart by media, opponents, and fans lately and rightfully so. IMO this program needs 4 quarters of offensive football to make a statement. It doesn't matter who the opponent is we need to come out with a pulse and play that way all game. Keep the foot on the gas for the entire game rather then pump the breaks. If we can build a comfortable lead early then make the changes to the personnel, but do so playing attacking football and not going into safe mode and running out the clock. This offense has been putrid and needs as many meaningful reps as possible.

Regardless of the score it needs to be a statement game on the offensive side of the ball. This offense has been brutally picked apart by media, opponents, and fans lately and rightfully so. IMO this program needs 4 quarters of offensive football to make a statement. It doesn't matter who the opponent is we need to come out with a pulse and play that way all game. Keep the foot on the gas for the entire game rather then pump the breaks. If we can build a comfortable lead early then make the changes to the personnel, but do so playing attacking football and not going into safe mode and running out the clock. This offense has been putrid and needs as many meaningful reps as possible.
That would be nice...but I think highly unlikely. Thinking strategically -- as I would hope Iowa's coaches are doing -- it makes little sense to show any new wrinkles in the offense prior to next week's road game in Ames. The Hawks should be able to beat Utah St. doing nothing but the old school Iowa basics: run the ball, short passes to the TEs, special teams excellence, and defense. I expect to see little else on Saturday...and while that's boring to me as a fan who'll be in the stands, I would understand, especially given that our #1 and #2 QBs have missed most of fall camp with injuries. I'm OK with a 'just don't lose the game' mentality this week.
Next week vs the Clones, however, I totally agree with your suggestion.

That would be nice...but I think highly unlikely. Thinking strategically -- as I would hope Iowa's coaches are doing -- it makes little sense to show any new wrinkles in the offense prior to next week's road game in Ames. The Hawks should be able to beat Utah St. doing nothing but the old school Iowa basics: run the ball, short passes to the TEs, special teams excellence, and defense. I expect to see little else on Saturday...and while that's boring to me as a fan who'll be in the stands, I would understand, especially given that our #1 and #2 QBs have missed most of fall camp with injuries. I'm OK with a 'just don't lose the game' mentality this week.
Next week vs the Clones, however, I totally agree with your suggestion.

Agree, if Iowa can't beat Utah St. just doing what they need to do and performing technically better, than they have some issues, systemic issues. They should be able to just hand the ball off for chunk yards and hit some simple passes here and there to keep drives going.

If they can't, it is not a favorable sign, IMO.

It's not that out of the question. Hell, Hayden used to put up 50+ points on early season opponents all the time. Many teams now in season score a high number of points.

I just don't think it's that odd for a P5 team to score in the 20's by the 2nd Q. It might be kind of odd for KF and Iowa in his tenure, but it is nothing new on the overall landscape, if you ask me.

If Hill lights it up on Saturday, we have to ride the hot hand into the Iowa State game right? And possibly into Big Ten play? You can't yank a guy who is producing, and you don't want to throw a guy who has missed a ton of time into the fire in Happy Valley.

I'm not optimistic that the line has miraculously improved, so there may be some advantages in having a 260 pound QB to absorb the inevitable shots. Plus, a big QB going up the middle is one of Brian's better schemes. Remember how he tore USC up with Stanley going up the gut time and time again? Think of what he could do with Hill.

If there's 24-27 points on the board that quick, it's "hosanna" time.
Cause even if Cade is on fire and connects to Vines for a long TD....Lachey breaks a couple tackles and rumbles in, and Ragaini does his thing and finds himself completely open....

It means we've still run the ball effectively right up the middle a dozen times or more for 4-5 yards each. And we probably will have seen Johnson bust a couple really nice ones. He'll probably be over 100 yards by that point. And we're seeing a Kirk style team with a little robustness that have been shown to be productive in the past.

Which means the offensive line is doing exactly what it should do against a team like that. And showing they have a chance at doing enough when it's time to play teams wearing big boy pants.

But, I'm not buying into it. I think it will be a comfortable game, but still a lot of warts.

All's I can say is, at least there aren't rumors of some last minute, closed door, scrimmage practice where the #1s on O couldn't even move the ball against the #2s on D. Those rumors had a real whiff of truth about them and clearly were a harbinger of the eventual reality.

If there's 24-27 points on the board that quick, it's "hosanna" time.
Cause even if Cade is on fire and connects to Vines for a long TD....Lachey breaks a couple tackles and rumbles in, and Ragaini does his thing and finds himself completely open....

It means we've still run the ball effectively right up the middle a dozen times or more for 4-5 yards each. And we probably will have seen Johnson bust a couple really nice ones. He'll probably be over 100 yards by that point. And we're seeing a Kirk style team with a little robustness that have been shown to be productive in the past.

Which means the offensive line is doing exactly what it should do against a team like that. And showing they have a chance at doing enough when it's time to play teams wearing big boy pants.

But, I'm not buying into it. I think it will be a comfortable game, but still a lot of warts.

All's I can say is, at least there aren't rumors of some last minute, closed door, scrimmage practice where the #1s on O couldn't even move the ball against the #2s on D. Those rumors had a real whiff of truth about them and clearly were a harbinger of the eventual reality.

I stated in the OP, that Iowa may score in the 24 - 27 pt range due to a combination of the offense (Cade) and D. My thinking is the D of Iowa will have a good chance of stifling Utah St. offense and will prob leave Iowa some short fields along with an opportunity for turnovers or possible even scoring.

Some on here are presuming I am keying on Cade and Iowa doing all long drives for scores, which is not the presumption. If Iowa has a couple 7-8 minute drives, then they might not get to that scoring amount in that amount of time. If Iowa's D does what it should do it will create some very short fields for quick scores and Taylor's punting will pin Utah St. deep. If the D forces 3 and out's, there is your short field for quicker scores. Hence, why 24-27 pt's by mid 2nd Q is really not out of the question, and hell, prob more realistic, IMO.

I stated in the OP, that Iowa may score in the 24 - 27 pt range due to a combination of the offense (Cade) and D. My thinking is the D of Iowa will have a good chance of stifling Utah St. offense and will prob leave Iowa some short fields along with an opportunity for turnovers or possible even scoring.

Some on here are presuming I am keying on Cade and Iowa doing all long drives for scores, which is not the presumption. If Iowa has a couple 7-8 minute drives, then they might not get to that scoring amount in that amount of time. If Iowa's D does what it should do it will create some very short fields for quick scores and Taylor's punting will pin Utah St. deep. If the D forces 3 and out's, there is your short field for quicker scores. Hence, why 24-27 pt's by mid 2nd Q is really not out of the question, and hell, prob more realistic, IMO.

Nar.....wasn't chopping at ya. It's entirely possible to see it. I was more swiping at Big Bri and his play calling. If we got that many points, even with a few short fields, no way Cade (or any QB) is doing it all. That's just not Brain's style. Not even Kirk's style. I don't complain about it not being Kirk's style. It's been effective. But I will complain about Brain doing the same thing over and over that ain't working.

That's Kirk. A well above average defense. A well rounded offense (with best in class brawlers at TE and above average backfield) behind a chunky, manhandling offensive line. Start with that and the magic can then happen. It could be special teams that takes you from good to better than good. Or a QB like Stanzi or a back like Greene or something. As I've said repeatedly, I think it's damn near impossible for a school like Iowa to rise to the top. Make a solid team that's never an embarrassment (strike that, rarely an embarrassment) and I'll keep watching. And wait for the magic to happen. Which does happen with frequency every couple years.

Last edited:

Pretty easy. Win toss, take the pill (or lose toss and they defer). Start at the 25. Seam pass for a TD. 7-0 with 28 seconds off the clock. Pick six on first play on defense, 14-0 with 14 minutes to go in the first. 3 and out on ensuing drive, sustained 60 yard drive for a TD, now you're looking at 21-0 with 5 minutes to go in the first. Give Cade one more drive, score a TD or FG and you're looking at 24 or 28 to 0 with about 10 minutes left in the second. That's how I see this one going. Final 69-0, but the game won't be as close as the score suggests.

I'm gonna say 17-7 at the half.
Because, I got nothing else. I'm terrible at predicting games.
To be fair, almost everyone is almost all the time. But if you put enough monkeys behind keyboards, someone will get it right.

Nar.....wasn't chopping at ya. It's entirely possible to see it. I was more swiping at Big Bri and his play calling. If we got that many points, even with a few short fields, no way Cade (or any QB) is doing it all. That's just not Brain's style. Not even Kirk's style. I don't complain about it not being Kirk's style. It's been effective. But I will complain about Brain doing the same thing over and over that ain't working.

That's Kirk. A well above average defense. A well rounded offense (with best in class brawlers at TE and above average backfield) behind a chunky, manhandling offensive line. Start with that and the magic can then happen. It could be special teams that takes you from good to better than good. Or a QB like Stanzi or a back like Greene or something. As I've said repeatedly, I think it's damn near impossible for a school like Iowa to rise to the top. Make a solid team that's never an embarrassment (strike that, rarely an embarrassment) and I'll keep watching. And wait for the magic to happen. Which does happen with frequency every couple years.

I know you weren't but just taking the chance to explain myself to some and in particular Grady.

Isn't it with Iowa like every 5 years or something. It seems someone pointed that out that every 5 they have that special season.

Pretty easy. Win toss, take the pill (or lose toss and they defer). Start at the 25. Seam pass for a TD. 7-0 with 28 seconds off the clock. Pick six on first play on defense, 14-0 with 14 minutes to go in the first. 3 and out on ensuing drive, sustained 60 yard drive for a TD, now you're looking at 21-0 with 5 minutes to go in the first. Give Cade one more drive, score a TD or FG and you're looking at 24 or 28 to 0 with about 10 minutes left in the second. That's how I see this one going. Final 69-0, but the game won't be as close as the score suggests.

Made me chuckle.

We've seen this quick opportunistic scoring in the past, more by Hayden's teams, but it plays out similarly to how you stated it. We've seen 17 pt's scored in a manner of a few minutes on occasion.

A few quick 3 and outs doesn't take much time off the clock. Throw in a turnover, there's your 27 pts.

I'm gonna say 17-7 at the half.
Because, I got nothing else. I'm terrible at predicting games.
To be fair, almost everyone is almost all the time. But if you put enough monkeys behind keyboards, someone will get it right.
Ain't that the truth? I never get into the score predicting threads and this is not really what this thread was about. It was pointing out how I hope Iowa scores early and often to get Cade some reps but be able to rest him to prepare for IA State the next week.

Imagine the struts from BF if they put up 70 this weekend. He'll be over a 1/5 of the way to the points they need for the season.

The idea that Iowa will build a large lead in the first half is fool hardy, but do wish it were true. I think the offense is behind where it needs to be because McNamara hasn't had the practice reps going into the game. Secondly the new rule where the clock doesn't stop on first downs will shorten the number of plays. I also look for more penalties by the offense for delay of game and lineman movement. First games are notorious for mistakes. I could a close game like 10-7 at the end of the first half.

Latest posts