My column on Ferentz/Willies/Beathard & Cracks in Foundation

What does it gain him to quit on his teammates in the middle of the year ? Anything he could get now he could get after the end of the year. Big mistake. He will get his offers but he will be viewed different for quitting like he did

While I'd agree, leaving in the middle of the year is not the best thing to do, here's what I see with the timing.

1. He's a 19/20 year old kid. They make decisions that mature adults would not do. I know I did at that age.
2. More importantly in my mind, he wanted to send a clear message that not all is well in Hawkeye land.

If he has to be the martyr that gets this train wreck of a program going in a different direction, I want to thank him at this time. Although it may take a while, if his leaving mid season doesn't open someones eyes in the athletic department, there's not much that will.

What a talented athlete the Hawks rarely used. Sad, so very sad.

Too bad for Willies. I feel for him - the thought process at that age - not always on point - and he's certainly been pulled many different ways in his young life - and not had the best direction and guidance the whole time, that is for sure. Decisions made in youth effect a person for the rest of your life. Wonder how long he's stayed at any one place in his lifetime?

One could argue that DW is well versed at recognizing when he's getting the run around.

I think leaving in the middle of a season is poor form.

It was. But he is young and that is part of it. My immediate reaction was it was an "oh, yeah? Forget this this place. I don't believe you any longer" kind of a reaction. This really is abnormal, even by today's standards. The action feels like a metaphoric middle finger to someone or some people.

<<But I ask you...>>

The abysmal reverse to Dominique Douglas in 2006 Alamo Bowl, and just about every loss. To his credit, I have NEVER seen/heard him say or discredit any miscue--even "execution"--without including himself. But even THAT gets old.

I have met Kirk. Spoke with him for about 10 minutes. He is everything the apologists/supporters say he is. Side-by-side vs. Nick Saban at Cap One luncheon, he stole the show both in terms of humor AND humility. As a "human being", few are in his class. Same--at one time--could be said about Jimmy Carter, too.

Being a "great guy" only goes so far after a while. I'm not ready to jump ship, yet, and admittedly, would prefer GD be a sacrificial lamb for now. But a couple more 6/7-win seasons--or worse--will taint any legacy or equity he has built at Iowa.
Losing to bad ISU teams more than half of the time has already done so.

And a good rant it was. I think most posters on here are bi-polar (I'll include myself). We rant and rave about opening up the offense.........AND then our biggest complaint about the Maryland game is passing too much, and not sticking to the running game in the 4th qtr.

The complaints over the MD game were over which passes were thrown (dink and dunk dumpdowns) and not running the ball at all when the MD defense was player their back 8 prevent defenders 10 damn yards off the LOS. Give JC a freaking drawn play once in a while!

I would also love to know how hard GD worked in trying to keep his guy Shimonek here. And if Willies had a conversation with GD??

That is really a good point, skinny. Nic was hand picked by GD. If rumors are true that GD retires after season, perhaps Nic was made aware of it? Perhaps Nic didn't see any future without GD? We can find more certainty if GD does retire.

This is so wrong!
The best players on the team like Scherff are the hardest workers. Sure there are good players that coast but the majority are hard workers. No one out worked Jordan. Willies has talent but he isn't going to be good anywhere if he doesn't put in the work.

What does "best" mean?

I said most talented.

No one has even hinted that he was slacking in practice.

That was simply a general statement about why too often our most talented skill position guys sit behind lesser talented players which in turn leads to averaging 5 + losses a season for 10 years running.

DW could flat out creat more points than most if not all of the guys in front of him.

Same with Beathard.

You simply don't have the option of sitting guys like that if you expect to win. Nor should ever be considering it in the first place.

KFs priorities are backwards.

While I'd agree, leaving in the middle of the year is not the best thing to do, here's what I see with the timing.

1. He's a 19/20 year old kid. They make decisions that mature adults would not do. I know I did at that age.
2. More importantly in my mind, he wanted to send a clear message that not all is well in Hawkeye land.

If he has to be the martyr that gets this train wreck of a program going in a different direction, I want to thank him at this time. Although it may take a while, if his leaving mid season doesn't open someones eyes in the athletic department, there's not much that will.

What a talented athlete the Hawks rarely used. Sad, so very sad.

Derpy derp derp.

What does "best" mean?

I said most talented.

No one has even hinted that he was slacking in practice.

That was simply a general statement about why too often our most talented skill position guys sit behind lesser talented players which in turn leads to averaging 5 + losses a season for 10 years running.

DW could flat out creat more points than most if not all of the guys in front of him.

Same with Beathard.

You simply don't have the option of sitting guys like that if you expect to win. Nor should ever be considering it in the first place.

KFs priorities are backwards.

Actually 23 said that he was dogging it as to not get injured so he could get out of the program. Now I'm connecting the dots, but it seems to make sense. 23 correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I like CJB even more now. He follow all the rules and shows he is the more dynamic QB when he gets playing time but Kirk still doesn't play him so he's apparently done following the rules and will say what he wants. I am also 100% sure he is leaving now.

Yes. CJ is smart enough to know the rules in Ft Kinnick.

marcmorehouse @marcmorehouse KF said he met with Derrick Willies today. Door is closed. He's gone.

496-door-shut.gif

This column is well written by Jon Miller, but I really don't understand why it is being written now. There are 5 games to be played. The real season starts Saturday. Evaluate this team and the head coach at the end of the year. To write this stuff now is simply unfair to the team. Mr. Miller is a popular Hawkeye personality, and I always have thought he was fair about the Iowa program. I've changed my opinion.

I'm very sad that Willies left the program. He had a lot of talent. But he has good players playing in front of him. Brad Banks started for one year at Iowa, and ended up the Heisman trophy runner-up. He had patience and tenacity, traits that you must have to play at this level.

Players who were not as good as he was, being thrown to, or rather not being thrown to, by the wrong QB, and running routes that often make no sense or have no purpose.

All for no good reason.

I guess he should have just accepted that thats football but its kind of hard to do that when you look around everywhere else and see its not the case.

I don't blame anyone for getting out of this mess.

That's your opinion.

I speak the truth and many know it but won't admit it in this forum.

I like your thought process. A 19 year old football player is a martyr. Yep pretty sound fact.

I want to correct my previous post. Derpy derp derp is far to intelligent for your post. Need a drool covered keyboard image.

I would love to know the behind the scenes relationship between KF and GD.

How well do they communicate? How well do they even like each other?

Is GD really this bad of an OC? Or does he do some of this s*** to spite KF? I have always found KF to be passive aggressive. Maybe GD trumps him. I can't believe KF would be OK throwing the ball as much as we did against Maryland especially in the 4th qtr.

I don't think Ruddock has ever been GD's guy. If he is ****** at Ferentz, it could all start and stop there.
GD has been on record, more than once and as soon as he arrived, that there should be an open competition at QB and you can only truly gauge a QB based on live game experience. Exactly Hayden's approach.

We all know this goes against KF's doctrine. Those decisions are made in practice.

Oh its obvious there is two different opinions on allot of things going on here. Davis obviously wants Beathard, as does most everyone else.

This situation has been a mess since KF hired Davis.

Last edited:
Too bad about Willies. If he would have gone to ISU, he would be a star. Not only would he play more, but he would be thrown to 8 times a game by a much more talented QB.

and that pisses me off!

Latest posts