My Big Ten & Iowa Bowl Projections for 11-13

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Big Ten Bowl Picture | Hawkeye Nation

My thoughts below are based upon how I expect the teams being discussed to finish the rest of this Big Ten season:

ROSE: Wisconsin (11-1/7-1) win out
BCS at Large: Ohio State (11-1/7-1) win out
Cap One: Michigan State (10-2/6-2) loss to Penn State

Here’s where things get a little dicey

Outback: Will this be Joe Paterno’s last year? If it is, will they make that known in the next two weeks or so? IF that were to happen, I think the Outback would take a Penn State team I peg to finish 8-4 overall. If not, if it’s vague, the Outback could take Iowa, who I am pegging to finish 8-4 right now. This is an unknown on an unknown. Penn State has not played in the Outback since 2006 and Iowa has been there three times since 2003. Where the Cap One has made picks more closely related to the Big Ten standings and head to head action, the Outback has not been so predictable.

They took 7-4 Iowa in 2005 over a 7-4 Michigan team which beat Iowa on the field, because Michigan has not traditionally traveled well to non-BCS bowl games…or at least, they felt Iowa would travel better. They took Michigan over Iowa back in the 1990′s, too.

Penn State didn’t enter this season with BCS bowl aspirations and Iowa did. Which fan base would travel better to the Outback? Penn State travels real well, one of the ten best in college football, along with Iowa. I think there may be too many factors working against Iowa for this particular bowl game if both teams finish 8-4, so I will go with

OUTBACK: Penn State (8-4/4-4)

Now we get to the Gator Bowl. I have Iowa hypothetically at 8-4 and Michigan losing its next two games to finish 7-5. Michigan hasn’t been to the Gator since 1991 with Iowa’s lone Gator Bowl appearance in 1983. Michigan hasn’t been to a bowl game since the end of the 2007 season. Again, the Iowa fan base might be viewed as being disappointed with an 8-4 season based on preseason expectations, even though the Gator Bowl is new territory for them. I think Iowa would travel well to this game, but I just don’t have any idea of ‘how well’. Would Michigan travel just as well? If that is a question the Gator officials can’t definitively answer one way or another, they may go with the Wolverines due to the better TV draw.

Bowl games are about economic impact to the community, and TV ratings for the sponsor factor into the equation but it’s not THE driving factor. Konica Minolta is the title sponsor this year, but they have no title sponsor set up for next year at this time. This could prove to be a key factor as they will want to secure a title sponsor going forward and the sponsor is far more concerned with TV ratings than local economic impact. So if I had to wager right now, I would say:

GATOR BOWL: Michigan (7-5/3-5)

I am not aware of any clause that would prevent them from taking Michigan over an Iowa team that has a better record. If there is, then of course that would affect this pick.

Which leaves Iowa for..

INSIGHT BOWL: Iowa (8-4/5-3)

Now, should Iowa finish 9-3 with a win over Ohio State, I think that could drop the Big Ten down to just one BCS team, although Ohio State and Michigan State would be available in the at large pool. If that would happen, I think Iowa would not land in the Gator. We’ll talk more about these prospects after next week’s action

NOTE: I am trying to find info on whether the Gator could take a Big Ten team with -2 wins, ie 3-5 Michigan over 5-3 Iowa. I know the Cap One has such a rule, but the Outback does not.

Last edited:
Well, to be selfish, I wouldn't mind the Insight Bowl. But, for a program prospective, I wouldn't mind the Gator or Outback.

At this point I'm just really hoping we can get to the Gator Bowl. I would like to go there. We've been to the Outback enough.

Wow....from potential national championship and Big 10 title contenders to the Insight Bowl.

Then again, the Insight is about what I expected all along.

I envision the Insight bowl committee licking their chops over a possible visit from Iowa but I don't think they will get the normal following this year. Not many people are going to drop that kind of coin to travel to AZ from IA to watch the Insight Bowl. It's too bad too. The seniors deserved a better ending to this book.

I'm leery on going on any bowl trip this year, but I will not go to the Gator Bowl.

It's Outback or nothing for me. And even that has me cringing.

I will not be an enabler of mediocrity and go to crappy bowl games from now on.

Ive seen multiple people just give PSU a win over Sparty....why is that? Penn State is not good. It seems to me that the following scenario is possible

1) MSU and Wisky both win out. MSU goes to the Rose and Wisky goes at large
2) Iowa beats OSU and finishes 9-3
3) Cap One Bowl takes Iowa over OSU and we play someone like Alabama in a great bowl matchup

Probably wont happen but definitely possible

My friend Ryan Suchomel of the Iowa City Press Citizen checked with the Big Ten and learned that there is a two-win rule for the Cap One and Outback, but NOT for the Gator or others.. Meaning the Cap One and Outback CANNOT take a team that has two fewer Big Ten wins over another team, but the Gator can

My friend Ryan Suchomel of the Iowa City Press Citizen checked with the Big Ten and learned that there is a two-win rule for the Cap One and Outback, but NOT for the Gator or others.. Meaning the Cap One and Outback CANNOT take a team that has two fewer Big Ten wins over another team, but the Gator can

So if I'm understanding this correctly, in order to get an Outback bid, we really need your above scenario to a show a MSU victory over PSU, which would take the Nits record to 3-5 in conference, assuming we split our last 2 to finish 5-3. Yes? Or I am overlooking something?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, in order to get an Outback bid, we really need your above scenario to a show a MSU victory over PSU, which would take the Nits record to 3-5 in conference, assuming we split our last 2 to finish 5-3. Yes? Or I am overlooking something?

yes. That would basically 'lock' Iowa into the Outback if the Hawks finish 8-4, and Nits 3-5 along with a Michigan 3-5

Latest posts