My 35 Best Iowa Basketball Players of All-Time List

So Marble's a better Hawkeye just because he played on a less talented team? I thought this was ranking the players based on basketball ability.

No, Marble's a better Hawkeye because Kevin Gamble only averaged 7.6 points per game. I don't care how good the team is, if you can barely get off the bench your junior year (on a very average team, by the way), you don't deserve to jump a guy like Roy Dev, a kid with the chance at a special college career, and an already rather nifty one as it stands.

The only way this could be a reasonable discussion is "not to your recollection". This is something I've found sadly missing on HN. History here seems to apply only to the "history of my memory of the poster". Not true history, which goes back to all time U of I, over a hundred years ago. Anything having to do with "all time history", is just not. About the only thing many of you guys have to say about us old guys is, "you wish we'd sit someplace else than behind you, because they can't see the game when you stand up". Let the ******** begin! ( I can see some of it already, "you guys stay home and watch from your lazy boy, & let us "true fans" watch the game without being bothered by you".) I hate to break this to you, but who could be more of a true fan, than one that continues to come to games, even when in a wheel chair.

No, Marble's a better Hawkeye because Kevin Gamble only averaged 7.6 points per game. I don't care how good the team is, if you can barely get off the bench your junior year (on a very average team, by the way), you don't deserve to jump a guy like Roy Dev, a kid with the chance at a special college career, and an already rather nifty one as it stands.

Marble wouldn't have got significant minutes on either one of those teams. Marble also hasn't even played on an average team yet by your standards.

The only way this could be a reasonable discussion is "not to your recollection". This is something I've found sadly missing on HN. History here seems to apply only to the "history of my memory of the poster". Not true history, which goes back to all time U of I, over a hundred years ago. Anything having to do with "all time history", is just not. About the only thing many of you guys have to say about us old guys is, "you wish we'd sit someplace else than behind you, because they can't see the game when you stand up". Let the ******** begin! ( I can see some of it already, "you guys stay home and watch from your lazy boy, & let us "true fans" watch the game without being bothered by you".) I hate to break this to you, but who could be more of a true fan, than one that continues to come to games, even when in a wheel chair.

Could not agree more.

If you saw Vidnovic play (I did, for 3 years) you rank him in the Top 10. He was an absolutely awesome player.

So this list has nothing to do with actual ability. Gotcha.

I agree with aspects of your point of view, but I purposely researched this list with history in mind. 3 of my top 10 are pre-1950, and 7 of my top 10 are pre-1970. This makes sense because much of our program's success occurred between 1945-1970. You're free to criticize us spring chickens - that's your right and you've earned it - but I'd like to think that we're not all the way you've described.

So this list has nothing to do with actual ability. Gotcha.

This list is based on performance. If it was based on ability, the top 20 would feature Connie Hawkins, Ricky Davis, Pierre Pierce and Tyler Smith. What you do on the Carver parquet matters more than what do in practice or in the NBA. On this list, anyway.

Gonna have to disagree on Gamble vs Marble. Look at who each has played with and go no further. I know I shouldn't look at it this way, but Gamble was an NBA player, jury is still way out on Marble.

I am not saying that Gamble should replace Devyn, however he was one of those players who was worth much more than the stats. When we lost to UNLV in the Kingdome, not making the final four, the Seattle Times sports headline was: Did the best team lose? The sportswriter said that Kevin Gamble getting a questionable third or fourth foul early in the second half was the main reason we lost. He did play on Celtic Championship teams also.......

I could see him in the top 35. Excellent list.......

Good work.....

:)

Last edited:
This list is based on performance. If it was based on ability, the top 20 would feature Connie Hawkins, Ricky Davis, Pierre Pierce and Tyler Smith. What you do on the Carver parquet matters more than what do in practice or in the NBA. On this list, anyway.

Connie Hawkins, what a shame. We could have been contenders. Friend of mine from DM was on the Iowa Freshman team with Connie, said he would dribble two basketballs down court and dunk them one after the other at full speed.......

Connie Hawkins, what a shame. We could have been contenders. Friend of mine from DM was on the Iowa Freshman team with Connie, said he would dribble two basketballs down court and dunk them one after the other at full speed.......

With a name that starts with Hawk he soulda been a legend. Hell, it mighta been Carver-Hawkins Arena

Where is Drew Stubbs?

Playing centerfield for the Cincinnati Reds.

In all seriousness, Branden is playing at Central College in Pella these days. IIRC, he wanted to spend some time at Iowa as more of a learning experience for a couple years.

Playing centerfield for the Cincinnati Reds.

In all seriousness, Branden is playing at Central College in Pella these days. IIRC, he wanted to spend some time at Iowa as more of a learning experience for a couple years.
It was a good try at his first name....

Another player who was good beyond stats and should be on this list is Kevin Boyle. He was one of the best defenders for the Hawks in the early 80's and if memory serves me correctly, Sports Illustrated ranked him as one of the 10 best defenders in college basketball in 80/81.

GO HAWKS!!!

I always have difficulty comparing players when you are spanning several eras. Some of those older guys were terrific in their day but you wonder if they could really hang with today's players. Totally different level of athleticism in my opinion.

Ronnie Lester would dribble circles around today's hawks and their competition, no ifs ands or buts. Roy Marble Sr was totally athletic enough as was BJ and Woolridge.

Sam Williams was the king of the baseline drive and smooth as silk, great ballhandler and shooter, he could play today easily and have great stats at 6' 3".

Speaking of kings, how about Bruce "Sky" King who helped Lute get his program going in the right direction.

Latest posts