Music Thread

Just curious as a tech novice, but how do you copy and upload youtube videos? I've tried to right click and save the URL, then upload the file from "downloads," but that doesn't work. I just end up with a file chock full of junk.

don't save the url

copy the url from youtube, look at the top of this window (or the new post window) see the icon upload_2018-1-13_21-27-9.png click on it and paste the url into it.

or you can simply copy paste the rule iinto the window.

Great musicians are making music right now in all kinds of genre's - You won't hear any of them on the radio more than likely.

Here are few

Country - Sturgill Simpson

Hard Rock - Royal Blood

Pop - Lucius

Singer Song Writer - Jason Isbell

Rap-Hip Hop - Run The Jewels

Only people who aren't "really" looking for new music say that newer music isn't good. Because they don't even make an effort to check it out. The reason you might not know them is because you don't listen. Music is awesome and I love this thread.

Here are more.

All of these bands are active, touring - making new music and awesome!

Lighter Rock - HAIM

Country/Blues/Rock - Chris Stapleton

Weird/Pop/Synth/Rock - Sleigh Bells

Folk - Shovels and Rope

Only people who aren't "really" looking for new music say that newer music isn't good. Because they don't even make an effort to check it out. The reason you might not know them is because you don't listen. Music is awesome and I love this thread.

Here are more.

All of these bands are active, touring - making new music and awesome!

Lighter Rock - HAIM

Country/Blues/Rock - Chris Stapleton

Weird/Pop/Synth/Rock - Sleigh Bells

Folk - Shovels and Rope

While I would agree that good music is out there for those who take the time to find it, I would still maintain that circa '67 - '83 is the golden era for music, the '70s in particular. CNN recently did a program about how the 70's was an amazing decade for music. It was a very interesting documentary. The staying power of those songs in our popular culture is frankly amazing.

I completely agree with you, though, that there is a lot of good stuff out there. Personally, I just don't have the time and energy to devote to finding and sorting through it, so I just basically stick to that era for the most part.

While I would agree that good music is out there for those who take the time to find it, I would still maintain that circa '67 - '83 is the golden era for music, the '70s in particular. CNN recently did a program about how the 70's was an amazing decade for music. It was a very interesting documentary. The staying power of those songs in our popular culture is frankly amazing.

I completely agree with you, though, that there is a lot of good stuff out there. Personally, I just don't have the time and energy to devote to finding and sorting through it, so I just basically stick to that era for the most part.

That's cool...and I agree with you, the 70's were awesome. I listen to some of it daily. It just chaps me when someone says stuff like "no good music is made today"... that's old man syndrome and this is coming from a 40 year old. It's out there, it's being made, you're just not listening to it.

That's cool...and I agree with you, the 70's were awesome. I listen to some of it daily. It just chaps me when someone says stuff like "no good music is made today"... that's old man syndrome and this is coming from a 40 year old. It's out there, it's being made, you're just not listening to it.

Good music is being created all the time. I think, though, that people confuse creativity, talent and new all at the same time.

Examples: rap songs that sample older/previously released songs; remakes of songs; people who seemingly "copy" the style(s) of (an)other artist(s); genres that are tried and true and don't need "improvement" so much as they need continuation of new artists and enthusiasts.

There will never be another Frank Sinatra. But frankly, we don't WANT another Frank Sinatra, per se, and it's even worse when people try and pigeonhole a new artist, i.e., "Michael Buble is the new Frank Sinatra!" He's not. He's Michael Buble. He has his own style, phrasing, range, etc.

I LOVE listening to older music. I also LOVE hearing good new music. Like Les Paul said, when asked about what he saw/heard in Jimi Hendrix that made him great: (paraphrasing) he understood, despite his ingenuity with his instrument, that it's still about rhythm and melody.

Some of the best music ever is being made right now, you just don't know to find it unless a radio station tells you what to listen to.... Radio died in the 80's and hasn't been seen since tho

I agree. IMO most people claim music was "best" when they were impressionable youths. I grew up in the grunge era so my go to SiriusXM channels are Turbo (90's-00 hard rock) and Lithium (90s-00 Alternative). I'm always starving for new music but its hard to hear anything that can beat the music I grew up with and was so passionate about. Clearly we become more cynical the older we get. ;)

It certainly doesn't help that SiriusXM and youtube/spotify/etc let us stay in our own music bubbles and never leave. Its the same problem social media and news outlets are currently facing. People want their own beliefs reinforced and they ignore or call everything else "fake"

There were little people in our house. These little people grabbed, scratched, broke and drew on (with crayons) everything they touched. My cherry wood turn table was one of them along with an expensive cartridge. And the vinyl was ruined by these little people with cookies in their cheeks and goo in thier hands. This was a busy time for us and we somehow lost track of most, not all music.

Latest posts