Music Thread

Raise your hand if you had Breakfast in America. (I know, I know, this song wasn't on that album....but....).....

.....As an aside, take another look at that album cover.....the NY skyline is actually breakfast utensils, Libby as the Statue of Liberty, etc. Fun stuff.

After Stealers Wheel broke up, this gentleman went on to bigger things. One of my all time favorite artists.
Amazing talent. Too bad he was so self-destructive and died kind of a sad lonely death. Bakers Street and Right Down the Line are timeless tunes.

I'd give this a hundred likes if I could.

One of my all-time faves and I never get tired of it.
Very underrated, even within the genre. Not quite the down home sound of Lynard Skynard, they had more of a from the hills Appalachian sound. Lost original bassist Tommy Caldwell on tour in spring 1980 when they were at their commercial, if not quite artistic peak. Had to cancel a Dubuque show that was scheduled for literally days later. Blackfoot's "Highway Song" always reminded me a little of Marshall Tucker, even though it was an obvious tribute to the fallen Ronnie Van Zant.

Saw Sonic Youth opening for Neil Young at the Target Center in Minneapolis about 25 years ago. They had to delay the show because their speakers were upside down. Great show.....

:cool:
Got a funny feeling they did a sound check for their next gig. You don't want to keep Neil's audience waiting-I've heard they can be pretty rough on opening acts. Never saw Sonic Youth but did see the Replacements at Gabe's in Iowa City around 1985-86. At least I think I saw them. Friday nights in downtown Iowa City could get a little foggy. Add the Replacements and you have the recepie for a massive bender. You wonder if the band remembers playing the show. You sometimes wonder if that band remembers any of it's shows.

Last edited:
Ok, time for a fun exercise. Ever wonder why one song reminds you of another. I mentioned several pages ago how Uriah Heep's "Stealin'" was similar to Grand Funk's "Some Kind of Wonderful". It made me think of a few others but...

I'm by no means a student of music or expert of it. I don't have the first clue about chord progression and things like that. Some of you do and have forgotten more about that end of it than I'll ever know.

But I am a music fan so here goes...more recent song listed first.

The Cars Dangerous Type-Roxy Music Love Is The Drug.

Pearl Jam Spin The Black Circle-Husker Du Beyond The Threshold.

The Alarm Spirit of 76(intro) Bruce Springsteen Thunder Road.

Spirit of 76 (middle/ending) Springsteen Jungleland.

Shania Twain Man I Feel Like A Woman-Aerosmith Uncle Salty
(Blatant lift, Mutt Lange knew who Aerosmith was)

Guns n Roses November Rain-Aerosmith You See Me Cryin'.

Gin Blossoms Found out About You-REM Pretty Persuasion.

Springsteen Spirit In The Night-Van Morrison Moondance.

ZZ Top Cheap Sunglasses-Edgar Winter Frankenstein

Scorpions Always Somewhere-Lynard Skynard Simple Man.

I'll cop the fifth-I have more time on my hands than usual right now. The Hawkeye men are out. My wife's Badgers are out. Cuba City High School (home of future Hawk football PWO Kordell Stillmunkes) lost both boys and girls. So I have this list. And I had fun with it. Any suggestions to add on out there?

Very underrated, even within the genre. Not quite the down home sound of Lynard Skynard, they had more of a from the hills Appalachian sound. Lost original bassist Tommy Caldwell on tour in spring 1980 when they were at their commercial, if not quite artistic peak. Had to cancel a Dubuque show that was scheduled for literally days later. Blackfoot's "Highway Song" always reminded me a little of Marshall Tucker, even though it was an obvious tribute to the fallen Ronnie Van Zant.
That was the first video I posted on this thread.

With all the PC police running around these days, I doubt this song would have been released.
No such issues in the 70s!

Ok, time for a fun exercise. Ever wonder why one song reminds you of another. I mentioned several pages ago how Uriah Heep's "Stealin'" was similar to Grand Funk's "Some Kind of Wonderful". It made me think of a few others but...

I'm by no means a student of music or expert of it. I don't have the first clue about chord progression and things like that. Some of you do and have forgotten more about that end of it than I'll ever know.

But I am a music fan so here goes...more recent song listed first.

The Cars Dangerous Type-Roxy Music Love Is The Drug.

Pearl Jam Spin The Black Circle-Husker Du Beyond The Threshold.

The Alarm Spirit of 76(intro) Bruce Springsteen Thunder Road.

Spirit of 76 (middle/ending) Springsteen Jungleland.

Shania Twain Man I Feel Like A Woman-Aerosmith Uncle Salty
(Blatant lift, Mutt Lange knew who Aerosmith was)

Guns n Roses November Rain-Aerosmith You See Me Cryin'.

Gin Blossoms Found out About You-REM Pretty Persuasion.

Springsteen Spirit In The Night-Van Morrison Moondance.

ZZ Top Cheap Sunglasses-Edgar Winter Frankenstein

Scorpions Always Somewhere-Lynard Skynard Simple Man.

I'll cop the fifth-I have more time on my hands than usual right now. The Hawkeye men are out. My wife's Badgers are out. Cuba City High School (home of future Hawk football PWO Kordell Stillmunkes) lost both boys and girls. So I have this list. And I had fun with it. Any suggestions to add on out there?

What about Virgil Simpson's: Call to Arms:

And The Spencer Davis Group with Stevie Winwood: Gimme Some Lovin:

Gimme Some Lovin is one of my favorite rock and roll songs ever. Used to play it to death when it came out.....

At least in the beginning with the vocal phrasing and all.....

:cool:

Latest posts