Music Thread

How many of you out there laid awake at night tuned into 1090 KAAY Little Rock and listened to Clyde Clifford on Beaker Street? Do you know the last record he spun on that sad day on March 3, 1985?

For sure man. I found KAAY by accident as I was listening to 1040 WHO, bumped the dial and found their far away signal.

I distinctly remember them spinning Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love...something no local AM station would touch (FM was not yet really in the mainstream where I grew up). Cool stuff.

May I present, my favorite cut from the 4th best selling re-mix album of all time. The entire offering is excellent. Enjoy. (Who says old fogies can't rock out to more modern/eclectic tastes?)

Jon Landau said this about Keith Richard's solo on Sympathy for the Devil in Rolling Stone Magazine way back then. Still have the original issue.....

Jagger sings with tension and control, constantly pushing himself as far as he can go, but never crossing over that line between power and excess. The guitar solo by Richard is among the finest rock solos I have heard recently. He only uses about five of the simplest rock lines around but he plays them with such finesse they seem to be oozing out of the guitar. His style is pure eroticism and he seems to linger over each note, making sure it comes out exactly like it's supposed to.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/beggars-banquet-19681206

:cool:

How many of you out there laid awake at night tuned into 1090 KAAY Little Rock and listened to Clyde Clifford on Beaker Street? Do you know the last record he spun on that sad day on March 3, 1985?

Used to listen to the Wolfman on XERF-AM in Ciudad Acuña, Mexico.....

:cool:

I'm going to switch gears here a little.

For those that visit this thread, what is your "dream team?" A band, living or dead, you would put together.

For me, some choices are easy, others are really tough, but I'd go with this:

Lead vocals:
Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury
Lead guitar (boy, what a list there):
Hendrix or SRV (I really hate keeping Tony Iommi off, but what can you do?)
Rhythm guitar (lost art, IMO):
Malcom Young or John Lennon
Bass:
John Entwistle (easy choice for me) or Chris Squire
Drums:
John Bonham or Neil Peart (shoutout to Mike Portnoy, though. Probably the most underrated, along with
Clem Burke from Blondie)
Keyboard:
Keith Emerson or Jon Lord

WAY too many directions you could go, and you have to remember that some of these wouldn't "fit". And in some cases, as part of a band format one guy might shine, while another is just an awesome musician who can play anywhere, anytime, with anyone, no questions asked, studio or live, rehearsed or improvising.

My guitar list would break the bank before you even decide what you want for a song lineup! Do you tell John McLaughlin or Jeff Beck to sit down and shut up? And what about Carlos Santana, Chet Atkins, Steve Howe, Jimmy Page? The list could go way into the night. When it comes to rhythm guitar, though, I'm going with one guy: Freddie Greene, who played for years with Count Basie. Yes, I would tend toward jazz/blues-oriented guys, as their improv tends to be second nature.

Chris Squire did a solo during the 1979 Yes tour that was amazing, but if you said it meant leaving Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius at home, it would be one hell of a tough dilemma.

"Drum" means two names: Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. Oh, and Randy Jones (played a long time with Dave Brubeck). And throw in whoever happens to be playing for Spinal Tap, knowing you'll have to replace him soon...

Keyboards, wow, very tough call. Too many possibilities.

For vocalists, you're leaving a helluva lot of amazing females off the list :)

Another vocalist I would have to include: David Clayton Thomas.

I'm sure balancing egos was one issue. Ted Nugent once made interesting comments on how he had to balance his with Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades in Damn Yankees (READ: It wasn't easy.) Getting creative but ideosyncratic writers to work together was another. John Forgerty couldn't co-write with someone to save his life, just to name one example.

Yeah, but he can still write. Jeff Beck and Brian Jones couldn't write to save their lives, yet as musicians, they're as good as any.

Mick Jagger HATED Brian Jones's ability to step in and pick up a harmonica, piano or tambourine riff off the cuff while Mick might be struggling like hell to get it down. Yet, one reason McCartney and Lennon DID coexist for so long was because they were very good at picking each other up in that regard. Both could grab damn near any instrument and learn it well enough to cover up holes when in studio.

It is rumored that Christopher Guest's Spinal Tap character was patterned after Jeff Beck. Nigel Tufnel had a similar hairstyle, his outlook on life had a similar quasi-philosophical bent, and they both liked grand prix auto racing. Look closely when they're sitting at the airport just before the air Force Base gig. Nigel is reading an auto magazine.

One wag used to refer to him as "Nigel-Tufnel-Look-Alike" Jeff Beck. But Nigel's guitar solo was all page. And it wasn't meant as flattery, or at least it didn't come off that way.

Excellent post. Really insightful and spot on.

Most of the big names of my era started playing in dumps. Pennies a night, over and over, never giving up, until finally, somebody of importance heard them. Usually at one of those grungy clubs.

There was no youtube or internet or other viral social media then. You ham-and-egged it until you got into a recording studio (at their wishes primarily) and busted out a tape and hope some radio station picked up a song. Then you got a contract. Then maybe national TV exposure on The Midnight Special or national radio such as The King Biscuit Flour Hour, etc.

Linkin Park is a 'modern' example of this....they got turned away multiple times, three times in fact by Warner Bros. records until they got a break. LP didn't fit in with any one genre of music....nobody took a chance on them. Hybrid Theory came out and the rest is history.

Make fun of the Jean Jackets :) if you will....the late 60s and 70s were *the* formative years of rock, the best few years ever....a time in which the modern bands should be thankful for.

Midnight Special was where I got to see a lot of bands for the 1st time. But, don't forget Don Kirshner's Rock Concert!

WAY too many directions you could go, and you have to remember that some of these wouldn't "fit". And in some cases, as part of a band format one guy might shine, while another is just an awesome musician who can play anywhere, anytime, with anyone, no questions asked, studio or live, rehearsed or improvising.

My guitar list would break the bank before you even decide what you want for a song lineup! Do you tell John McLaughlin or Jeff Beck to sit down and shut up? And what about Carlos Santana, Chet Atkins, Steve Howe, Jimmy Page? The list could go way into the night. When it comes to rhythm guitar, though, I'm going with one guy: Freddie Greene, who played for years with Count Basie. Yes, I would tend toward jazz/blues-oriented guys, as their improv tends to be second nature.

Chris Squire did a solo during the 1979 Yes tour that was amazing, but if you said it meant leaving Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius at home, it would be one hell of a tough dilemma.

"Drum" means two names: Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. Oh, and Randy Jones (played a long time with Dave Brubeck). And throw in whoever happens to be playing for Spinal Tap, knowing you'll have to replace him soon...

Keyboards, wow, very tough call. Too many possibilities.

For vocalists, you're leaving a helluva lot of amazing females off the list :)

Another vocalist I would have to include: David Clayton Thomas.
That's cool, but, as I stated above, my intent was not to assume that the band would necessarily play well together as a unit, or fit together necessarily. Rather, it was more about All-Star recognition with the instrument. Actual all-star bands rarely do anything special - see Asia.

And, yes, a few posts later, I commented on the long list of potential lead guitarists. It's mind-boggling.

Supposedly, Santana stole the show...
Santana was great at Woodstock.

Funny story. I saw an interview that he did several years later, in which he admitted that he was on an acid trip during his performance. He originally was scheduled much later, so decided it was safe to take a hit. Due to the difficulty getting the bands in through the traffic jams, they asked him to move up and he reluctantly agreed. He said that he had to close his eyes while playing because he was hallucinating that his guitar neck was twisting and undulating.

Another funny story is that due to the late equipment, they asked the first acoustic performer to move up to start the show. Whoever it was saw the size of the crowd and panicked and left, so they turned to Richie Havens to kick it off.

There were some great performances. Two people I talked to that were there both said that the best guitar performance was Alvin Lee. I posted his "I'm Going Home" performance earlier in the thread.

Yeah, but he can still write. Jeff Beck and Brian Jones couldn't write to save their lives, yet as musicians, they're as good as any.

Mick Jagger HATED Brian Jones's ability to step in and pick up a harmonica, piano or tambourine riff off the cuff while Mick might be struggling like hell to get it down. Yet, one reason McCartney and Lennon DID coexist for so long was because they were very good at picking each other up in that regard. Both could grab damn near any instrument and learn it well enough to cover up holes when in studio.
When John stuck to what he did best, nobody did it better. His songs were three minute slices of Americana- it's triumphs and it's tribulations. In his book he cites Stephen Foster as a major influence. Foster could write about a part of the country the listener had never visited and within one song feel as if "Suannee River" ran through their back yard. Likewise you could feel the humidity of the delta or swamp after one Creedence song even if you hadn't been near New Orleans. Brian Jones was underappreciated and still missed. Santana was a phenomenal talent who stole plenty of shows. Great story about Jagger/Jones.

Last edited:

Latest posts