Music Thread

Need to come over to another board. Love Prince. As a singer songwriter and musician he rivaled Stevie Wonder and as a live performer he was right there with The King of Pop. Like Springsteen he wrote for others as much or more than he wrote for himself. Rumor has it that his vaults are full of unreleased music. Rare talent. Gone too soon.

A few Roger Dean album covers.

Octopus - Gentle Giant
octopus%20roger%20dean%20album%20covers%2070s%20gentle%20giant%201680x1050%20wallpaper_www.animalhi.com_14.jpg

Yessongs Compilation
yes-fragile.jpg

Drama - Yes
84.jpg

The Magician's Birthday - Uriah Heep
themagiciansbirthdayrogerdean.jpg

Osibisa
roger-dean-art.jpg

Tails From Topographic Oceans - Yes
tales_from_topographic_oceans.jpg

roger_dean_desktop_1680x1050_hd-wallpaper-871015.jpg

Last edited:
Can you imagine if these legendary recording artists tried to get started in the music business today. Springsteen, Seger, Petty, and Mellencamp would never have made it. As much talent as they had they never would have been allowed to grow at their own pace. Styx too. Rush was about to get dropped before they made 2112. Billy Joel would have never broke through on his fifth album because he would have been dumped after the second one. ( If a record company had even taken him seriously after the Echoes, the Hassles, and Atilla all flopped). If they ever auditioned for American Idol when they first started out Simon Cowell probably would have laughed them off the stage.Don't disdain the reverence bestowed upon these legends young'uns. They paid their dues like you wouldn't believe.

Last edited:
A few Roger Dean album covers.

Octopus - Gentle Giant
octopus%20roger%20dean%20album%20covers%2070s%20gentle%20giant%201680x1050%20wallpaper_www.animalhi.com_14.jpg

Yessongs Compilation
yes-fragile.jpg

Drama - Yes
84.jpg

The Magician's Birthday - Uriah Heep
themagiciansbirthdayrogerdean.jpg

Osibisa
roger-dean-art.jpg

Tails From Topographic Oceans - Yes
roger_dean_desktop_1680x1050_hd-wallpaper-871015.jpg
Outstanding compilation, AWTY. Roger Dean could have been one of those people you see on State Street in Madison with cans of spray paint creating future dystopian scenes on the sidewalk.

I'm going to switch gears here a little.

For those that visit this thread, what is your "dream team?" A band, living or dead, you would put together.

For me, some choices are easy, others are really tough, but I'd go with this:

Lead vocals:
Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury
Lead guitar (boy, what a list there):
Hendrix or SRV (I really hate keeping Tony Iommi off, but what can you do?)
Rhythm guitar (lost art, IMO):
Malcom Young or John Lennon
Bass:
John Entwistle (easy choice for me) or Chris Squire
Drums:
John Bonham or Neil Peart (shoutout to Mike Portnoy, though. Probably the most underrated, along with
Clem Burke from Blondie)
Keyboard:
Keith Emerson or Jon Lord

Any Blondie reference makes a post worth reading. And Malcolm Young was the best at what he did. Ever. Jon Lord very underrated and sadly no longer with us. Keith Emerson gone too. Actually most of the people on this list in rock and roll heaven.

Any Blondie reference makes a post worth reading. And Malcolm Young was the best at what he did. Ever. Jon Lord very underrated and sadly no longer with us. Keith Emerson gone too. Actually most of the people on this list in rock and roll heaven.
Yeah, I'm a huge Blondie fan. Still listen to their stuff all the time.

And, yes, it's a sad fact that so many of the greats are dying off. As I posted earlier, it's very sad that the era of the great guitarist is essentially coming to an end. They are dropping like flies.

Latest posts