Music Thread

OK, Jeff Beck. Although I believe Page played bass for part of the time Beck was in the group.

Correct. They wanted Chris Dreja to learn bass so Page and Beck could both play guitar, which they did for studio sessions.

Page went on to found "The New Yardbirds", of course, before renaming them Led Zeppelin. Wonderfully sppofed/slammed in This Is Spinal Tap.

Correct. They wanted Chris Dreja to learn bass so Page and Beck could both play guitar, which they did for studio sessions.

Page went on to found "The New Yardbirds", of course, before renaming them Led Zeppelin. Wonderfully sppofed/slammed in This Is Spinal Tap.
Where Procol Harum's Keith Reid was his first choice for vocalist. Keith recommended a virtual unknown named Robert Plant. Plant wouldn't be unknown much longer.

Ever stop and wonder how many bands became famous with a second, or more, choice as singer, drummer, whatever? And movies. Some of the most famous movies had someone other than the first choice star in it. Animal House was supposed to be a complete ensemble of SNL performers. John Belushi was the only one who followed through.

Sidenote on Led Zeppelin. In a Rolling Stone album review of their first album Lester Bangs famously ripped the band a new one. His review could be summed up in five words: "What the F is this"?

Last edited:
Where Procol Harum's Keith Reid was his first choice for vocalist. Keith recommended a virtual unknown named Robert Plant. Plant wouldn't be unknown much longer.

Ever stop and wonder how many bands became famous with a second, or more, choice as singer, drummer, whatever? And movies. Some of the most famous movies had someone other than the first choice star in it. Animal House was supposed to be a complete ensemble of SNL performers. John Belushi was the only one who followed through.

Sidenote on Led Zeppelin. In a Rolling Stone album review of their first album Lester Bangs famously ripped the band a new one. His review could be summed up in five words: "What the F is this"?

The bolded sums up some of the reviews Reiner "reads" in "Tap".

Think about how Hendrix all but cut Redding and Mitchell out of his studio work. So, "All Along the Watchtower" has an iconic acoustic guitar open, played by none other than Dave Mason!

What would The Beatles have been with Pete Best? Or The Rolling Stones had they kept Brian Jones around? And for movies, the backers didn't want Stallone as "Rocky". Without Stallone, that movie is an afterthought!

The bolded sums up some of the reviews Reiner "reads" in "Tap".

Think about how Hendrix all but cut Redding and Mitchell out of his studio work. So, "All Along the Watchtower" has an iconic acoustic guitar open, played by none other than Dave Mason!

What would The Beatles have been with Pete Best? Or The Rolling Stones had they kept Brian Jones around? And for movies, the backers didn't want Stallone as "Rocky". Without Stallone, that movie is an afterthought!
Hendrix was perhaps the first totally self contained studio rat, a trend later followed by Boston's Tom Scholz (sans vocals) Prince, and Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan.

Rocky came up in a thread not too long ago. Think of a hot actor in the 1970's, from Paul Newman on down, and they were a more preferred choice for lead than Sylvester Stallone.

On the seventh day God created Spinal Tap and could he have rested on that day?

You know who hated that movie? Professional musicians. It hit too close to home for many of them, especially the ones with egos and no sense of humor.

When BTO came out it was a sound like I had not heard before and I loved it. While there was a certain sameness to many of their songs, it was awesome.

It had a certain groove and macho that this 14-16 year old loved.

When BTO came out it was a sound like I had not heard before and I loved it. While there was a certain sameness to many of their songs, it was awesome.

It had a certain groove and macho that this 14-16 year old loved.
Randy Bachman was certainly taking a risk. He left the Guess Who at the peak of their popularity.

There were echoes of Led Zeppelin in their production and a couple of their riffs. But they obviously had nowhere near the textural range and that was never their intent. Their songs did sound like they rolled off the same assembly line but it worked in their case. They not only sold a lot of records and we're an excellent concert draw, they inspired many teenagers to pick up the guitar and start bands.

Randy Bachman was certainly taking a risk. He left the Guess Who at the peak of their popularity.

There were echoes of Led Zeppelin in their production and a couple of their riffs. But they obviously had nowhere near the textural range and that was never their intent. Their songs did sound like they rolled off the same assembly line but it worked in their case. They not only sold a lot of records and we're an excellent concert draw, they inspired many teenagers to pick up the guitar and start bands.

I don't know why, but any time Randy Bachman and/or BTO is brought up, it takes me back to a memory of American Bandstand (see below). I remember watching this in my teens thinking ... where's the rest of the band? It still strikes me as funny to this day. And, Dick Clark sitting with a bunch of 17 year olds ... not creepy. :)

Latest posts