Most of you are too excited

We have done nothing yet. We are four games in to conference play and have played the two worst teams. Ohio State win was nice but we need to beat middle of the conference teams before I get too excited about this group. We beat Michigan Minnesota Indiana and Purdue then I will say we are legit.

Relax Francis, this is Iowa Basketball and anyone old enough to have enjoyed Lute, George, and Mr. Davis have every right to be excited. It just feels good to know the program is on the way up and I feel confident that it will not slip out of control the way it did under Alford and Lick. Iowa now has a coach who is a good floor general and is not afraid to go after the big fish! If you started following Iowa after Mr. Davis, enjoy the ride those of us older fans remember and look forward to!

There are lots of reasons to play one game at a time. The schedule has already been made and its probably to late to change it. Getting the players to be so many different places at the same time would be challenging. I know they've cloned a pig but I think even if we went that route the clones would need time to grow. Probably the biggest reason tho is we would need 7 Carver Hawkeye Arenas and we only have one. One game at a time is definitely the way to go.

i fear you're overlooking iowa's depth. its been said we can go 11 deep. 5 play a home game(should be an easier win since its at carver so don't need as many players) and 6 play an away game. problem solved. honestly disappointed i even had to point this out to you

My question, for the tad over excited fan is, "Didn't you as a Hawk fan expect this team to win games like the OSU game this year?"

I did and they should continue to, this team should end up in at least the sweet 16 the close losses have been mind numbing because this team has the talent to make a deep run.

My question, for the tad over excited fan is, "Didn't you as a Hawk fan expect this team to win games like the OSU game this year?"

I did and they should continue to, this team should end up in at least the sweet 16 the close losses have been mind numbing because this team has the talent to make a deep run.

No, after year and a half of watching the Hawks lose these games over and over I had no reason to expect them to win at Ohio State.

Now answer my questions.

i fear you're overlooking iowa's depth. its been said we can go 11 deep. 5 play a home game(should be an easier win since its at carver so don't need as many players) and 6 play an away game. problem solved. honestly disappointed i even had to point this out to you

Iowa has depth? That's news to me. :)

There are lots of reasons to play one game at a time. The schedule has already been made and its probably to late to change it. Getting the players to be so many different places at the same time would be challenging. I know they've cloned a pig but I think even if we went that route the clones would need time to grow. Probably the biggest reason tho is we would need 7 Carver Hawkeye Arenas and we only have one. One game at a time is definitely the way to go.

I see what you did there

So judging by most of the posts, it will not bother most of you if we happen to lose to Nebraska or Penn State because we beat Ohio State. This team has had trouble closing out games. I want to see them go to the cellar dwellers and win by double digits in their place. I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.
With your logic Kentucky should not start a season rated because they send their whole team to the NBA and start over. Wisconsin should not be rated since they lost to Indiana. Kansas had a sluggish start and they are probably not deserving either. What if's are just that...what if we beat Nebraska (like we did) or beat Penn State...what if? Flawed logic my friend...

Did I expect Iowa to win at OSU this year? NO. That doesn't mean I didn't expect Iowa to have a good team, but I also didn't expect them to win on the road against who was then the #3 team in the country, either.

So Iowa won a game I didn't expect, but it also wouldn't shock me if Iowa loses a game at some point this year that, on paper, it probably shouldn't. Things rarely, if ever, go totally according to plan in college hoops. But hopefully the pleasant surprises will be more plentiful than the disappointing defeats the rest of the year (and beyond).

All of that said, I agree that Iowa has the talent to be in the Sweet 16 and possibly farther depending on how the chips fall. I have only one thing on my mind at this point though: Minnesota. Gotta build on that OSU win by not having a letdown against a team that we should be favored to beat.

So judging by most of the posts, it will not bother most of you if we happen to lose to Nebraska or Penn State because we beat Ohio State. This team has had trouble closing out games. I want to see them go to the cellar dwellers and win by double digits in their place. I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.

For ****'s sake. Nobody is honestly this stupid.

Beating Northwestern, Nebraska and Penn State on the road isn't going to prove much more than beating them in Carver will. And beating them at home proves nothing. Are people getting ahead of themselves a little? Perhaps. But if you're prepared to call Iowa a contender because they close out cellar-dwellers on the road, I don't know what to tell you. You don't win the Big Ten without beating Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan State this year. Period.

For ****'s sake. Nobody is honestly this stupid.

Beating Northwestern, Nebraska and Penn State on the road isn't going to prove much more than beating them in Carver will. And beating them at home proves nothing. Are people getting ahead of themselves a little? Perhaps. But if you're prepared to call Iowa a contender because they close out cellar-dwellers on the road, I don't know what to tell you. You don't win the Big Ten without beating Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan State this year. Period.

Agree 100%. Sure, if Iowa is as legit as everyone is saying, then @NW, @Nebby and @PSU are games that they should be able to handle. But you're absolutely correct - Iowa just won @OSU, so that tells me that Iowa can contend for the league title. Who knows if Iowa will be there come March, but if you can't beat anyone in the Top third of the league, get ready for 5th place.

I would also point out that Iowa was able to win @NW, etc. when Mr. Davis was our coach, and I don't recall every seriously challenging for a league championship while he was here, except for maybe 1986-87. So beating the cellar dwellers on the road doesn't really mean a lot.

I am too excited. Calm down me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here, stare at this picture for a few seconds. That should do the trick.

111007_ugly_woman_shirt.jpg

Your right. Bring Lich back.

How about 14 victories?

Did I expect Iowa to win at OSU this year? NO. That doesn't mean I didn't expect Iowa to have a good team, but I also didn't expect them to win on the road against who was then the #3 team in the country, either.

So Iowa won a game I didn't expect, but it also wouldn't shock me if Iowa loses a game at some point this year that, on paper, it probably shouldn't. Things rarely, if ever, go totally according to plan in college hoops. But hopefully the pleasant surprises will be more plentiful than the disappointing defeats the rest of the year (and beyond).

All of that said, I agree that Iowa has the talent to be in the Sweet 16 and possibly farther depending on how the chips fall. I have only one thing on my mind at this point though: Minnesota. Gotta build on that OSU win by not having a letdown against a team that we should be favored to beat.

This.
Next Up
Goofers

We have done nothing yet. We are four games in to conference play and have played the two worst teams. Ohio State win was nice but we need to beat middle of the conference teams before I get too excited about this group. We beat Michigan Minnesota Indiana and Purdue then I will say we are legit.
bender.gif

Latest posts