Most of you are too excited

So judging by most of the posts, it will not bother most of you if we happen to lose to Nebraska or Penn State because we beat Ohio State. This team has had trouble closing out games. I want to see them go to the cellar dwellers and win by double digits in their place. I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.

Fine then make your own poll and put them at 99.

I'm pretty sure Iowa won't be losing to Nebraska this year (unless it's the tournament I guess)

So judging by most of the posts, it will not bother most of you if we happen to lose to Nebraska or Penn State because we beat Ohio State. This team has had trouble closing out games. I want to see them go to the cellar dwellers and win by double digits in their place. I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.

It's all your opinion and I was initially going to sit back and accept that. Then I read the part about consistently competing? Maybe they've yet to prove they can consistently win the big games but to say they've yet to prove they can compete, that's crazy talk. Maybe you are just a troll, but I'd love to see a response as to how this team has yet to show they can compete.

Yes, Iowa beat Ohio State!

Woah, woah, woah, they might lose to someone later. Calm down.

If Iowa can consistently beat teams like OSU on the road, then Iowa will be considered a national title contender. Maybe even a favorite. If that's what it takes for you to believe in a team, then you're probably in for a long wait. I agree that Iowa needs to stay focused and take care of business in games they are supposed to win, but I am not going to worry about losing to Nebby or PSU unless it happens. And upsets CAN happen. It doesn't erase the OSU win if it does.

It's been ages since Iowa basketball has been any good, so I'll be darned if I'm not going to allow myself to get excited. That doesn't mean I'm going through the roof and expecting the Hawks to be in the Final Four. I've seen some really good teams go down in the first or second round, so nothing is automatic in that tournament. But I DO expect a fun season, and for Iowa to be taking part in the festivities come March.

Last edited:
And does beating a cellar dweller on their home floor carry more merit then beating a top 5 on the road. Sorry just not following you at all.

I agree with the TC, we have posters on here already calling Iowa vs MSU the greatest game in Iowa basketball history. Hello, McFly, three games stand in the Hawks way before MSU and two are on the road.

Did anyone witness The Cuse struggle on the road against a trash BC team? Anything can happen on the road in college basketball let's all take a chill pill for a minute and let this season play out before we starting screaming and shouting like a bunch of girls at a Bieber concert.

I for one am going to enjoy every bit of every success this team has and I'm going to ***** and moan when things go wrong.

Call me, Ishmael. Er, I mean, fan.:cool:

Yes, Iowa beat Ohio State!

Woah, woah, woah, they might lose to someone later. Calm down.

You shouldn't get excited about a college basketball team until you're almost certain they won't lose another game.

Translation... U should never be excited about a college basketball team.

I agree with the TC, we have posters on here already calling Iowa vs MSU the greatest game in Iowa basketball history. Hello, McFly, three games stand in the Hawks way before MSU and two are on the road.

Did anyone witness The Cuse struggle on the road against a trash BC team? Anything can happen on the road in college basketball let's all take a chill pill for a minute and let this season play out before we starting screaming and shouting like a bunch of girls at a Bieber concert.

Waiting for a season to end before getting excited about it instead of enjoying it while its happening is great advice.

I just imagine half the people who watch sports on here with this expression on their face:

images

Next time I have sex I'm going to think about baseball the whole time then when its over I'm going to jerk off thinking about it. Enjoying things after they're over is the way I do things from now on.

To the OP and everyone agreeing with him answer me this. What does "too excited mean"? Secondly, what difference does it make even if we are "too excited"?

I can't help but think these are the people who are missing the bashing on Woodbury threads or the bashing the coach and his recruiting skills threads. Perhaps you miss the threads from last year where we were just hoping to get on the NCAA bubble and the 2 seasons of NIT bids. Or perhaps you miss the Lick years where every time I logged on here I was afraid of another thread someone started where a player was rumored to be leaving. Or maybe you missed the Alford years were we had to deal with a piece of a crap coach. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to come on here and see so many people fired up over the basketball program, it has been years.

Granted we need to take 1 game at a time, I have been preaching that myself shortly after the Ohio State game. We very well could be in for a disaster on Sunday and could fall on our face against Minnesota, I suppose you guys will be right here telling us "I told you so". But what we say and do on a message board has NO impact on what happens on the court on Sunday. I say be excited because it has been one heck of a long time since we have had a reason to be excited here.

We are experienced, talented, deep, well coached, and at hard and smart (most of the time). We have a pretty good record and IMO could have won each of the three games we lost. There is reason to be excited, but even more reason to play one game at a time. This IS a very good team. That is a factoid

I don't think anyones ignoring the fact that there's a great deal of basketball to be played or that there's 3 games before MSU at home. I agree that anything can happen on the road, but it's the simple fact that our recent lack of success on the road has been noted and that we finally may have taken a huge step in overcoming that obstacle with our win on Sunday. I don't think its about "screaming and shouting like a bunch of girls at a Bieber concert" but rather a fanbase realizing that rather then simply trying to compete in the toughest conference in America we may be contenders (albeit very early) for a conference championship in the toughest conference in America. That's why theres the excitement in the air.

I know I'm not looking past the next few games, but definitely realize what may be at stake when Iowa and MSU meet up at the end of this month. IF the possibility of what kind of environment and the ramifications of that showdown doesn't excite a fan then I don't know what does.

Jeez, the whole MSU talk was a "wouldn't it be kinda neat" thing. None of us were looking past the next 3 games. But the potential is there for the MSU game to be a battle of 2 top 10 teams, something that has not happened since the early 90s.

We are experienced, talented, deep, well coached, and at hard and smart (most of the time). We have a pretty good record and IMO could have won each of the three games we lost. There is reason to be excited, but even more reason to play one game at a time. This IS a very good team. That is a factoid

There are lots of reasons to play one game at a time. The schedule has already been made and its probably to late to change it. Getting the players to be so many different places at the same time would be challenging. I know they've cloned a pig but I think even if we went that route the clones would need time to grow. Probably the biggest reason tho is we would need 7 Carver Hawkeye Arenas and we only have one. One game at a time is definitely the way to go.

Latest posts