Most of you are too excited

We have done nothing yet. We are four games in to conference play and have played the two worst teams. Ohio State win was nice but we need to beat middle of the conference teams before I get too excited about this group. We beat Michigan Minnesota Indiana and Purdue then I will say we are legit.

Dang…Here I was thinking the Hawks were a good team. Thanks for setting me straight. Teams that aren't legit win @ Ohio State all the time. Especially by 10. Here's to hoping we win another game….#fingerscrossed.

We have done nothing yet. We are four games in to conference play and have played the two worst teams. Ohio State win was nice but we need to beat middle of the conference teams before I get too excited about this group. We beat Michigan Minnesota Indiana and Purdue then I will say we are legit.

BS

Some people don't know how to enjoy the little things in life.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this season and will continue to do so.

Now let's not try to be a Debbie Downer here. I agree about showing us more as the season progresses. However, there are numerous talking heads who make their living off evaluating basketball teams and how they will fair in the post season. Most notably Jay Bilas in my opinion has talked about Iowa being in the discussion. I for one am excited about that! I am not naive enough to think our season is signed sealed and delivered. Our fanbase should be excited, the Ohio State win alone is reason for excitement. To go to Ohio State and score like we did on a team that is possibly the best defensive team in the land is a HUGE accomplishment. If you watched the game :) even Matta was lost in this game. They simply had no answer defensively for what the Hawks were doing. I think as I view this team the things that sets us apart from other teams: Number one is depth, number two is experience, number three is the quality of our depth, number four is the multiple defensive looks we can give teams...and in my opinion the most important thing is overall team length. Teams that move on in the tournament have all these characteristics with size and team length being big ones. So enjoy the ride...whatever will be will be...but lets not squelch some positive vibes.

Edit forget team length...

Last edited:
Isn't this the absolute reason we watch college basketball and for all of us specifically the Hawks. We watch to get excited and be crazy about this stuff. Why post such a ridiculous thread?

In the Big Ten, if you don't come to play every night, any team can beat you on their home floor. People are talking trash about Penn State or Nebraska, I'll be honest, playing either of them on the road is no gimme. You better bring it. I've seen the two guards at Penn State get hot and carry that team for significant minutes...and the guys from Nebraska play hard. Yes, we should beat those teams at their arenas, but hardly gimme wins.

The thing that impresses me about this Iowa team is that they really haven't gotten hot from the outside (from three) in any game and they are still averaging 84 points a game...or whatever. Sure they hit four in the second half, but they still only shot 35% from three or something like that. Gessell, Marble, Uthoff, Ogelsthree, McCabe, and White can all shoot the three and get hot. It's going to happen...I'm hoping it's against MSU, OSU, and Wisky.

People aren't making fun of Nebraska and Penn State. They are using them as examples to make fun of the OP for saying wins against average teams are more impressive than wins against good teams.

And I don't care how good the Nebraska guards can be, there is no way we are walking out of Lincoln with a loss this year.

Why you sad face?

Isn't this the absolute reason we watch college basketball and for all of us specifically the Hawks. We watch to get excited and be crazy about this stuff. Why post such a ridiculous thread?

Because he's a troll trying to get a response... nothing more. He hasn't even responded since his original post. Classic sign of trolling. Stops by, posts a stupid topic, thinks it is funny, and then moves on. Don't let it get to you.

We are 14-3 and just beat a top 5 team ON THE ROAD. We have done plenty, we are going dancing and I am going to enjoy every second of it.

Do me a favor, Master of When People Should Get Excited, when you determine it's the right time for Iowa fans to get excited about the basketball let us know. Until then we'll all just talk about how Iowa basketball still isn't good enough.

Iowa sucks at basketball. That ROAD win against the #5 team in the country doesn't prove anything! FIRE FRAN!

p.s. Am I doing this right, Cane?

So judging by most of the posts, it will not bother most of you if we happen to lose to Nebraska or Penn State because we beat Ohio State. This team has had trouble closing out games. I want to see them go to the cellar dwellers and win by double digits in their place. I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.

Hawk fans have a lot of reasons to be excited about this team. However, I agree with CaneHawk that we should keep things in perspective. Minn. can easily beat the Hawks with their 3 excellent guards and good big guy if the Hawks don't play a strong game or their shooting is off a bit. There are going to be ups and downs; this is too strong a league. Enjoy the OSU win but realize there will probably be some losses on the way.

So judging by most of the posts, it will not bother most of you if we happen to lose to Nebraska or Penn State because we beat Ohio State. This team has had trouble closing out games. I want to see them go to the cellar dwellers and win by double digits in their place. I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.

So when is it ok to get excited about a team?

Hawk fans have a lot of reasons to be excited about this team. However, I agree with CaneHawk that we should keep things in perspective. Minn. can easily beat the Hawks with their 3 excellent guards and good big guy if the Hawks don't play a strong game or their shooting is off a bit. There are going to be ups and downs; this is too strong a league. Enjoy the OSU win but realize there will probably be some losses on the way.

Puhleez, us being excited on a message board has no effect on whether or not the players beat Minnesota. That is the coaches job to keep the players head in the right place. Anytime Iowa beats Ohio State on the road I am going to get excited as that is not a place Iowa goes into and wins very often.

If you can't get excited about a win then why even follow sports?

I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete. Beating OSU does not make me a believer, consistency will as well as double digit wins in conference, not 1 victory.

Good thing people that seem to know more about college basketball get the votes then. We are barely worse than 3 top 10 teams on the road, dominated weak opponents, and beat teh #3 team on the road, yet you don't think they are deserving of a top 15? That is just not smart. Stop being a debbie downer, whether intended or not.

I don't think this team deserves a top 15 ranking until they can show they can consistently win and compete.

This is dumb. This team should be judged in the rankings off this years results only, not the fact that the Hawks had a tough time closing out games last year.

Iowa has pounded the lesser teams on their schedule this year and has a road win @OSU, a neutral court win over Xavier, a home win over Notre Dame, a 4 point loss on the road in Madison to a Top 5 team, a 5 point loss in Ames to a Top 15 team and an overtime loss on a neutral court to Villanova, who is now ranked in the Top 10.

If that doesnt sound like the resume of a Top 15 team halfway through the season then I dont know what does. You are either a troll or stupid.

Yeah, against teams ranked in the top 15 on the road. Iowa is a much better team than Nebraska and Penn State. The games I'm still circling are when they play Ohio State and Wiscy again or when they go to Michigan State. You seem like you're hesitant to believe that these Hawks are in the upper class of the B1G. Also, how does a win @ Ohio State not make you a believer but beating Nebraska and Penn State does?

Nebraska 67-57
Northwestern 93-67
@#3 Ohio State 84-74

Not bad, but until we start winning games by double digits...come on. If you watch your team upset the #3 team in the nation in their building, and experts start saying your team can make the Final Four, and you don't get excited at all, you need to find something else.

Dude, the glass is half full … no, actually it's 3/4 full right now. Enjoy this team on the rise … the sky is the limit for these guys.

Because he's a troll trying to get a response... nothing more. He hasn't even responded since his original post. Classic sign of trolling. Stops by, posts a stupid topic, thinks it is funny, and then moves on. Don't let it get to you.

Ive never really cared if someone was trolling or just stupid. Makes little difference to me.

Latest posts