Morehouse Tweet

The reason for the contract extension is that's what the athletic director at Iowa does. His contract was extended before the season was really under way.

My thoughts.

If Carton or Foster don’t commit to Iowa or elsewhere prior to the end of this year why would it matter? Fran was already signed for several years. For instance if Carton signs with Wisconsin is it because Gard is on a long term contract (I have no idea if he is, but think he’s going to be on the hot seat next year), or is it just because he wants to go to Wisconsin? Would Carton not commit to Iowa until they gave him this extension? I think Fran was already signed through 2022 anyways so that doesn’t even make sense.

Also Pmac hasn’t proven to be an asset in recruiting. Until he does that’s just speculation just like anything else.

The reasoning to the Contract extension IMO had zero to do with any of this.

I hope Iowa can pull these guys in, seriously how awesome would it be to see Fran have a roster that could be 15 or 16 Deep! :cool::p

My thoughts.

If Carton or Foster don’t commit to Iowa or elsewhere prior to the end of this year why would it matter? Fran was already signed for several years. For instance if Carton signs with Wisconsin is it because Gard is on a long term contract (I have no idea if he is, but think he’s going to be on the hot seat next year), or is it just because he wants to go to Wisconsin? Would Carton not commit to Iowa until they gave him this extension? I think Fran was already signed through 2022 anyways so that doesn’t even make sense.

Also Pmac hasn’t proven to be an asset in recruiting. Until he does that’s just speculation just like anything else.

Honest question - how does being signed until 22 help with 19 and 20 recruits now? And having a kid that is ranked as high as Pat already committed and getting selected for the USA dealie certainly won't HURT recruiting right?

And to be honest, I'm not nearly as offended by the extension as I am the buy out and the fact they didn't release the info. But, that's been beat to death - it's not good. But what if the above happened?

Reactions: DJL
Couple pretty big ifs there... I can't sit here as optimistic of a Hawk fan as I am and say I think Carton is goin to be a Hawk. Let alone that Foster kid too. I know the what if game is kinda what we talk about on here all day & night but I have a tough time thinking that that's where all the eggs are in regards to that contract being extended.

And to be honest, I'm not nearly as offended by the extension as I am the buy out and the fact they didn't release the info. But, that's been beat to death - it's not good. But what if the above happened?
To me that's the unexplainable part. They've yet to address it and probably won't. The rest they can at least 'justify' with their rationale of wanting to keep him. But the lack of transparency and then tryin to claim that they were is just peeing on us and telling us it's raining

My question would be; other than the fact that he lives in the State of Iowa, what makes anyone think that Xavier Foster will commit to Iowa? I've seen multiple interviews with him and he has never indicated that he is considering Iowa.

Honest question - how does being signed until 22 help with 19 and 20 recruits now? And having a kid that is ranked as high as Pat already committed and getting selected for the USA dealie certainly won't HURT recruiting right?
Is DJ Carton really going to say, you know what I don’t think I’m going to go to the school I like because their coach is only signed through my junior year?

Some have argued that signing a coaches kid could hurt your position with recruits who think he would get preferential treatment. I’m not arguing that, but until we land another kid and that kids says something about Pat being a part of his decision I don’t understand how he’s an asset. Again saying he’s an asset is just speculation.

As far as what I’d think if we signed Carton and Foster, I’d be pumped. But at the end of the day if Iowa misses the tournament for a 3rd strait year next year, I don’t know what we’d do. We can’t rely on instate recruiting to be as good as it is for this 2018-2020 stretch forever.

The stars would really have to align for Scott's theory to come true. They'd all have to sign and all have to be as good as some people think they will be.

I honestly don't think Barta thinks along those lines It's hard to envision him sitting down and thinking, "If I extend Fran, our recruiting will pick up because his son is outgoing and has connections."

My take is that Barta is very, very uncomfortable with change, and prefers stability almost to a fault. Right or wrong, he is going to prioritize character and running a clean program over the W-L record.

I stand by my comment, and I had read it before. There is little to be optimistic about in his comments, especially the; 'keeping my options open part'. As in "thanks for the dance, I find you interesting, but I'm really looking for my dream date."

Maybe that's because you're a d-bag troll?

Couple pretty big ifs there... I can't sit here as optimistic of a Hawk fan as I am and say I think Carton is goin to be a Hawk. Let alone that Foster kid too. I know the what if game is kinda what we talk about on here all day & night but I have a tough time thinking that that's where all the eggs are in regards to that contract being extended.
What ifs and wait n see----- is all we have when it comes to Iowa basketball.
Gutless Gary doesn't want to work for his paycheck. Low risk. Low reward. Over sell and under deliver.