More to Woodbury than just height

Combine this with his 6 inch vertical (at best) and you are correct. I still don't understand all the extreme hype over him besides the fact 7 ft kids don't grow on trees. I get that. A big, long, tall body clogging up the middle of the lane? Yes. A dominate center on either the offensive or defensive side of things? I don't see it happening. Then again, that's why I'm sitting here responding to an online post and Fran is collecting a 7 figure salary for coaching our Hawkeyes.

There was this guy at Utah...Doleac...not the most athletic guy in the world, but he ran the floor, played great positional defense and had one solid post move, but a nice FT line jump shot...turned out to be 1st round pick.

The thing is, he is more impressive to me as a freshman than Serge Zwikker, Josh McRoberts, Roy Hibbert, Miles Plumlee and others, let's wait to see how he turns out.

Excellent post, in every way, Sportstalent. Adam is coming along nicely. He is going to be an offensive threat in many ways. His D has already helped the team and gives them confidence. Woodbury just roaming around the basket effects the other team. They have changed their plays many times when they see Woody.......

Liked what Tim McCormack said also. I believe he is correct. I also liked our play with three freshman, two who are point guards and Devyn with Woody and Basabe is a powerful combination. One of many Fran is going to arrrange.......

:)

One of my favorites, Kevin Kunnert, 7 footer from Dubuque comes to mind. Number 24 on Hawkeye scorer list (tied with Bobby Hansen), averaged 15.9 pts and 12.7 rbs '71-'73 soph to senior, 12th overall pick NBA. Would be nice if Woodbury could get anywhere near those numbers.

This ties in to what I'm curious about as well....how good of a talent-improver is the current Iowa BB coaching staff?

Will they do well with the front court, back court, centers? 1/3...2/3....all 3? (Offense, defense, passing, knowing the game, etc)

KF for instance has done wonders with the OL, but IMO, no QB has remotely gotten better during their tenure at Iowa under KF (ok ok, perhaps Stanzi). Sans McNutt, same could be said for the WR's.

Should be interesting to see where this goes.

I agree with the first sentence. Somebody last week compared him to Les Jepsen, which is not a good comparison because Jeppy was such a late bloomer.

With regard to the rest of your post, I actually have been pleasantly surprised with Woody's athleticism. He runs the floor pretty well for a giraffe and seems to have good eye-hand coordination. He does lack in leaping ability. I'm not saying he is Jared Sullinger, but he ain't chopped liver in the athleticism department.

One thing that is interesting to me, however, is that he has extremely narrow shoulders for a guy his size. That could affect his ability to score regularly against other tall centers with his jump-hook because the defender will be 4 or 5 inches closer to the ball when it is released than they "should" be.[/QUOTE]

Combine this with his 6 inch vertical (at best) and you are correct. I still don't understand all the extreme hype over him besides the fact 7 ft kids don't grow on trees. I get that. A big, long, tall body clogging up the middle of the lane? Yes. A dominate center on either the offensive or defensive side of things? I don't see it happening. Then again, that's why I'm sitting here responding to an online post and Fran is collecting a 7 figure salary for coaching our Hawkeyes.

I find it funny someone who calls himself basketball man can't see how good Woodbury is going to be.

What is your definition of dominant? Does your definition necessitate jumping highly and dunking? Thats probably why you don't see it.

You don't have to jump high to score points, especially if you are 7'1 with good post moves.

If people don't double Woodbury by his junior year he will score 20 a night with ease, however he will demand a double every time down and will force defenses to scramble all night.

Hes already Iowas best interior defender by far and I would expect him to continue to get better as he gets more experienced and stronger.

There really is nothing I don't like about Woodbury's game, except for one thing...when he gets an offensive rebound, he does get them blocked a lot, seems like he is in such a rush to get rid of it...I would attribute that to the hacking he got in HS, get the ball up and out of his hands before he got mugged.

Agreed. Shooting to quickly is a sign you are scared of getting blocked but it usualy plays into a shot blockers hands or you end up missing the shot.

He will figure out there is no rush to shoot soon enough. Take a power dribble, go strong into their body and make them foul you.

He would benefit greatly from watching a Jess Settles pump fake highlight real.

As much as I like Woody, McCormick said on air during the VT broadcast that Woody would be Iowa's best true center in school history. I'll take the under on that, which is a safe play in general. But Acie Earl's offense and defense combined is going to be pretty tough to top.

As much as I like Woody, McCormick said on air during the VT broadcast that Woody would be Iowa's best true center in school history. I'll take the under on that, which is a safe play in general. But Acie Earl's offense and defense combined is going to be pretty tough to top.

Not to mention a sweet *** high top fade.

I don't know what basketball man thinks as dominant, but it's pretty easy to see him averaging double figures for his career and morphing into a 15 ppg scorer. That would be a pretty dominant offensive force in my book.

40ppg minimum to fulfill the requirements for dominate. This is all highlighted in the Forum Rules posted by Jonny Website.

I find it funny someone who calls himself basketball man can't see how good Woodbury is going to be.

What is your definition of dominant? Does your definition necessitate jumping highly and dunking? Thats probably why you don't see it.

You don't have to jump high to score points, especially if you are 7'1 with good post moves.

If people don't double Woodbury by his junior year he will score 20 a night with ease, however he will demand a double every time down and will force defenses to scramble all night.

Hes already Iowas best interior defender by far and I would expect him to continue to get better as he gets more experienced and stronger.

I guess we disagree on a few things rocknrollface. But the 20 point a night suggestion is nearly laughable. But hey, we are all entitled to our opinion.

I think many time people don't see NBA athleticism, so they don't think the player will be great. Good college C, don't have to all be NBA athletes. Woody does so many things already that most FR big men don't do worth a damn.....passing, footwork, interior post moves, can finish with his right hand or left hand. Most 7' don't refine those skills in HS, because they don't have to. Woody is so much further ahead on the learning curve than I could have ever hoped.

There was this guy at Utah...Doleac...not the most athletic guy in the world, but he ran the floor, played great positional defense and had one solid post move, but a nice FT line jump shot...turned out to be 1st round pick.

The thing is, he is more impressive to me as a freshman than Serge Zwikker, Josh McRoberts, Roy Hibbert, Miles Plumlee and others, let's wait to see how he turns out.

Bonus points for Serge Zwikker reference! :)

serge-zwikker.jpg

Do you remember what Acie was like as a true freshman when he redshirted? Total project. Adam Woodbury is much further ahead at this stage than Acie. Will Woodbury end up as good as Acie? That remains to be seen, but at this stage as a true freshman, Woodbury puts Acie Earl to shame.

I guess we disagree on a few things rocknrollface. But the 20 point a night suggestion is nearly laughable. But hey, we are all entitled to our opinion.

Nope, its completely plausible and probable to say that IF teams would play him straight up by the time he is a junior he could get 20 a night. Nothing unrealistic about that whatsoever, if you understand what your watching.

That won't happen obviously because opponents will have to scheme around stopping him with double teams and zones.

As he gains more strength and stamina to play more minuets the offense will be geared more and more towards him. In two years the half court offense will flow primarily through Adam.

I think many time people don't see NBA athleticism, so they don't think the player will be great. Good college C, don't have to all be NBA athletes. Woody does so many things already that most FR big men don't do worth a damn.....passing, footwork, interior post moves, can finish with his right hand or left hand. Most 7' don't refine those skills in HS, because they don't have to. Woody is so much further ahead on the learning curve than I could have ever hoped.

Rik Smits was quite the athlete, didn't people say Brad Daughrety wasn't athletic as well?
I am sorry, but Acie Earl wasn't the most athletic guy either and he ended up being a 1st round pick.

The NBA is viewed as "athletic" and that is all that matters...you still have to know how to play basketball to play. There were people that called Tyler Hansbrough unathletic too, never really understood it.

Then there are players like the kid at Minnesota, Rodney Williams, who all people do is talk about how athletic he is, but the results are not much to look at...yeah he can dunk...same with Sam Thompson at OSU, watch OSU play and tell me the first thing they say about Thompson...do they harp on his shooting ability, absolutely not...you still have to be able to play the game.

Hopefully Woody will have a better NBA career than Acie. (And, as well, avoid Duke in the NCAA's)

If Iowa shot better from the arc, opponents would have to extend their defenses and would not be able to sag on Adam as much. His points and PT would increase, IMHO.

Adam has potential to be one of Iowa's better centers but he'll have to go some to best PF-C Greg Stokes who averaged 17.7, 14.9 and 19.9 ppg his last three seasons and had his number retired.

Basketballman is either the best troll or biggest moron on this board.

Siouxboy...you're panties still in a bundle simply becuase I don't see it in Woodbury? Really? Troll? Really? Cmon. Not quite my friend. Simply offerring up an opinion. You don't like it? Ummmmm....oh well.

Latest posts