More to Woodbury than just height

Siouxboy...you're panties still in a bundle simply becuase I don't see it in Woodbury? Really? Troll? Really? Cmon. Not quite my friend. Simply offerring up an opinion. You don't like it? Ummmmm....oh well.

And when ones opinion is just flat out stupid, people call them out.....;)

I think what people are trying to say is the kid is young, and the book has yet to be written on his college career. No sense in burying the kid after 8-9 games his true FR year. Big men always take more time to develop, and you seem to want to ignore what he does well for a big man already (passes well, has good footwork, can run the court, and can finish with both hand around the basket). Please tell me what other Hawkeye center (as true freshman) have shown as much, as quickly, as Woody has??????

Siouxboy...you're panties still in a bundle simply becuase I don't see it in Woodbury? Really? Troll? Really? Cmon. Not quite my friend. Simply offerring up an opinion. You don't like it? Ummmmm....oh well.
So, if you are not trolling, then my second choice must be correct.

There are serious concerns about what can develop. We all hope so. When he swats at the ball he is quite slow about it. Very deliberate in his movements. Last night against a not quick SD team others had to cover to keep the drives from getting to him. His being in there makes others look worse on defense, at least last night. Seems more noticeable the deeper we go into the season. Young...yes. Chance for development...yes. Pick up on quickness???? hmmm. Play smarter...yes. He is truly the least quick big man with his hands and short step foot movement I think I've ever seen in the B1G as a starter.... Ever.

There are serious concerns about what can develop. We all hope so. When he swats at the ball he is quite slow about it. Very deliberate in his movements. Last night against a not quick SD team others had to cover to keep the drives from getting to him. His being in there makes others look worse on defense, at least last night. Seems more noticeable the deeper we go into the season. Young...yes. Chance for development...yes. Pick up on quickness???? hmmm. Play smarter...yes. He is truly the least quick big man with his hands and short step foot movement I think I've ever seen in the B1G as a starter.... Ever.

Guess I have been watching different Iowa games.

We'd have a better gauge of things if they'd quit playing Grinnell, Iowa Wesleyan, South Dakota High School, and Coe JV. Poor little Hawks need to get their confidence up you know.

He is so much further along as a freshman than any other center in Iowa history and its not even close. I'm curious to see how much his lack of athletic ability hampers him down the road. The downside to him being so skilled is he might actually be closer to his ceiling now than anyone realizes.

So I guess we have him for 4 years. No a bad thing at all.

We'd have a better gauge of things if they'd quit playing Grinnell, Iowa Wesleyan, South Dakota High School, and Coe JV. Poor little Hawks need to get their confidence up you know.

I agree and the whole confidence thing is the most overused buzzword around and it is a bunch of crap. If you are a good team, the schedule, or how awful the schedule is shouldn't dictate people's analysis of you. I wish Iowa would just quit scheduling teams like TAMCC and replace them with some real mid-majors out of the A-10, or do some home-home against some major conference teams.

There is a lot to like about Woodbury though, he has been taught well, that you can see. Where does he go from here is the question. I too am curious to see him against better teams, especially, want to see if he can keep himself out of foul trouble.

Woodbury needs to DUNK THE BASKETBALL! When he learns to flush it whenever possible he will be somewhat dominant. I am hopeful that next year that will be happening often.

I think foul trouble will be a problem for Woody as we start playing better teams. What worked for him in high school (and in the preseason) won't in conference play. I hope he can learn some new tricks fast.

I think foul trouble will be a problem for Woody as we start playing better teams. What worked for him in high school (and in the preseason) won't in conference play. I hope he can learn some new tricks fast.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Woodbury has two nice hook shots and passes well...I have yet to see him really force anything, so call me confused.

I am talking about his defense and rebounding. I think he will get into foul trouble often against stronger offensive players.

His offensive game is light years away from where I expected it to be. I'll admit that I was a nonbeliever who doubted he'd be able to contribute anything meaningful as a freshman. What I would like to see however is him getting and keeping his arms up on defense. While I realize he's not, nor will he ever be a shot blocker, it kills me to see a seven footer not atleast trying to get a hand in the face of any shooters nearby. He doesn't have to swat anything, all he needs to do is obstruct the view of the shooter and too often I see him not getting that done.

I am talking about his defense and rebounding. I think he will get into foul trouble often against stronger offensive players.

Legit concern, but a lot of Woodbury's fouls come on bad reaches, or being out of position. I don't remember too many fouls he has had playing straight up defense.

I like his effort on defense and rebounding, once he learns how to rebound, something that he didn't have to do in HS as he was just bigger than everyone else.

He's perfect... he's bad enough we don't have to worry about him going pro. But good enough he should be able to help us win a game or two.

That's it's what i was trying to point out. He was once able to get away with playing out of position and reaching. Now that will lead to foul trouble for him.

That's it's what i was trying to point out. He was once able to get away with playing out of position and reaching. Now that will lead to foul trouble for him.

Alright, we have harmony...:cool:

Defensively, he will learn how to block more shots, but he does good enough for me right now playing solid straight up defense and using his height to bother shots.

I'm not that concerned with his shoot blocking. It will never be his strong suite. Right now i am most concerned with the way he fouls when attempting to get position on D. That is were i meant he needed to learn some new tricks.

I agree and the whole confidence thing is the most overused buzzword around and it is a bunch of crap. If you are a good team, the schedule, or how awful the schedule is shouldn't dictate people's analysis of you. I wish Iowa would just quit scheduling teams like TAMCC and replace them with some real mid-majors out of the A-10, or do some home-home against some major conference teams.

There is a lot to like about Woodbury though, he has been taught well, that you can see. Where does he go from here is the question. I too am curious to see him against better teams, especially, want to see if he can keep himself out of foul trouble.

I"m in complete agreement. Maybe that's my concern. He's been taught well. He does make a difference against the weak teams. I did watch very intently and guys do have to give a lot of support help that goes unnoticed or players blow right around him. Rebounding shouldn't be hard to teach. Keeping defensive position shouldn't be hard. It may very well be a lack of quickness. I'm not sure he can dunk much though. He has some coordination issues above the shoulders. I don't buy his physically immature and gangly.

Latest posts