More smoke with the Saban to Texas rumors.....

What am I missing?

What would the advantage be for him to go to Texas?

who knows what goes thru a coaches head and what he has to go thru at his school. he has obviously shown a pattern of behavior, and i can't imagine him staying too much longer at alabama.

I think Saban is a tough guy to get along with as far as his bosses go and Saban probably doesn't like having anyone above him. It's almost the nature of the beast. I think he'd like a challenge but not too big of one. Texas is down but only because they've had a coach hang on the last few years that shoulda retired after their last championship. It wouldn't take Saban 2, 3 years tops to get Texas to where Bama currently is. That'd only cement him as that much more of a greater coach if he could do that. Having been successful and rebuilding more then one legendary program. Staying at Bama now is probably getting redundant. The Bama faithful down here are pulling the "his family loves it here" card. He does have a kid or two in school at Bama also. But it's Saban. He doesn't get the Kirk Ferentz type of benefit of the doubt there with his history...

Ultimately I think Texas would be a better job than Alabama. He could make more money, could recruit just as well, and not have to compete every week with the other SEC teams. Alabama seems like the best gig out there now because he made it that way.

1. Its Texas
2. They can pay him 10 mil a year.
3. Its Texas
4. Saban has been known to get antsy and move around.
5. Its Texas

Perhaps I'm wrong but I would be shocked if Bama felt that he was even entertaining the idea of leaving that they wouldn't line his pockets to make sure he didn't move.

Please enlighten me on how Texas is a better job than Bama. This I'm curious to know. I see 1 advantage... playing in a weaker conference.

Saban loves the challenge of resurrecting storied programs. It has nothing to do with what program is better, Saban enjoys the challenge and he is GOOD AT IT..

Really it is a win win for Saban. As many said, it is a weaker conference, has close to an unlimited budget for football operations, and then he could run for President of Texas after they succeed from the US.

Only down side is that he wouldn't be covered by the SEC umbrella when it comes to sanctions from the NCAA. He would still be able to get away with quite a bit, but not as much as he can at Alabama.

KF to 'Bama starts right here! :D

On a more serious note who would want to step into Saban's Tide boots if he leaves? No pressure there eh?. ;)

Saban loves the challenge of resurrecting storied programs. It has nothing to do with what program is better, Saban enjoys the challenge and he is GOOD AT IT..

Exactly. I think what he's doing from this point on at Bama is getting redundant. At this point it recruits itself. He doesn't have a care in the world. After this year would be the perfect time to change. His qb is going to be graduating so he'd have to break in a new one next yr at Bama. Brown is going to be fired if he chooses not to step down. The whole thing just makes too much sense for him to go "rebuild" Texas. (who woulda thought that'd ever need to be done) Texas can throw a dollar more at him then any other program and it'd be a really quick job to rebuild. He'll have talented kids already there that just have had a terrible coaching staff since they've been there.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I would be shocked if Bama felt that he was even entertaining the idea of leaving that they wouldn't line his pockets to make sure he didn't move.

Please enlighten me on how Texas is a better job than Bama. This I'm curious to know. I see 1 advantage... playing in a weaker conference.

Texas is 1 coach away with a guy like Saban owning CFB for a decade if not more. Mack Brown should have more than 1 title at UT at this point with the level of recruits he has brought in. Saban wouldn't **** that up. Also the Big 12 on a year to year basis is comparable to the SEC, a bunch of good top teams and a bunch of average teams most years. You being a big 10 honk won't agree with that so there is no point in arguing about it. We will agree to disagree on that.

A few reasons that Texas would be a good job for Saban to jump to:
1. Easier conference to win.
2. Flagship school of arguably the best state for high school football recruiting.
3. Better academics to use as a recruiting tool, but not such good academics that it would be a deterrent.
4. No conference championship game means that his team would be able to make the playoff after playing fewer games.

Pretty much everything else is a wash except for the element of the Longhorn Network. I'm not sure there are very many coaches that would want to put up with the headache of constantly dealing with a cable network interviewing you and your coaches daily, filming elements of every practice, and being set up right on campus. It seems to me that LHN could be a hindrance to any coaching search.

Texas is 1 coach away with a guy like Saban owning CFB for a decade if not more. Mack Brown should have more than 1 title at UT at this point with the level of recruits he has brought in. Saban wouldn't **** that up. Also the Big 12 on a year to year basis is comparable to the SEC, a bunch of good top teams and a bunch of average teams most years. You being a big 10 honk won't agree with that so there is no point in arguing about it. We will agree to disagree on that.

Maybe in terms of general distribution of good and bad teams within the conference, but the top of big12 is nowhere near the level of the top of the sec. Not even close.

delusions of grandeur - there is medicine for that.

so who is the SEC's Iowa State?