More Kinnick renovations - North Endzone

With regards to plan B. I don't think expansion to the north was completely ruled out. However if they could build over a rail line, and on top of the Iowa river in 1922, they sure can get over a road. Evashevski is a 2 lane road so the width is not too much. Also the north side currently does not have a brick facade, so this would not be hurting that. The back side would be so close to the parking garage and transportation center as to limit the view of the outside facade. More than likely it would be brick on the lower wall south of the road and black steel pillars on the north side of the road to support the scoreboard and upper seats.

Please, go straight up Kyle Field with the north stands. Can you imagine playing in OT with the opponents having to go into this???

0367-1.jpg

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BleednGumsMrphy
hopefully that will look good above the ribbon board. Unless I am not understanding how they would do it. They need to add one more item to the additions while they are at it. Paint a tiger hawk on the water tower. :rolleyes:
Ding ding ding. Hopefully GarBar budgeted for this in that estimate.

I hate to break this to you both, but the University of Iowa does not own the water tower. The city of Iowa City does.
No, the HOSPITAL owns the water tower

http://m.kcci.com/news/regents-approve-moving-forward-with-kinnick-stadium-renovation-plans/34564464

The preliminary plan has been approved. A few things of note are: the goal is to keep capacity above 70,000, and it was stared that the footprint is tight so they won't be ruling out any possibilities. I will be submitting my plans to the architects soon.

From what I read an expansion over the roadway might not be in the plans, because they do not plan to increase capacity. But one of my other plans might good. I am looking forward to this, and I hope that there can be a combination of budget and luxury seats in the final plan.

I don't really understand the luxury suite fans. It looks more like watching the game from home, doesn't it? I've never been in one of them. Anyone here shed some light on what the draw of the suite is?

I have sat in lowest level (totally enclosed) - that is like watching from home. Big comfy seats (think 1st class airline), waitress service, sound is piped in... big TV's right above the glass, funny watching several people yell from inside - no one can hear you!

Have also sat in top level about 1 game per year (right next to Ed & Dolph booth)... spectacular view, the sound rises in big moments (awesome), players look a little tiny, great 'all 22 ' view, big screens in every suite to watch replays, food & drink any time, and bathrooms w/ no waiting and sometimes someone gives you a towel.

Both are like home in that you get plenty of legroom and comfortable space.... none are like being close to the action.

Would still like to experience indoor/outdoor club level...

I have sat in lowest level (totally enclosed) - that is like watching from home. Big comfy seats (think 1st class airline), waitress service, sound is piped in... big TV's right above the glass, funny watching several people yell from inside - no one can hear you!

Have also sat in top level about 1 game per year (right next to Ed & Dolph booth)... spectacular view, the sound rises in big moments (awesome), players look a little tiny, great 'all 22 ' view, big screens in every suite to watch replays, food & drink any time, and bathrooms w/ no waiting and sometimes someone gives you a towel.

Both are like home in that you get plenty of legroom and comfortable space.... none are like being close to the action.

Would still like to experience indoor/outdoor club level...

I think that's in the works with this proposal. I heard on the radio this morning some kind of patio planned in the N endzone along with the other proposals.

Elevated seats also serve to shade the patio. It is good when form follows function.

I think that one of the corners would be the best place to have the patio, 2nd level seat combo.

Last edited:
This could be cool, but I'm with Imported Ankle...I hope to hell they don't screw it up and diminish the acoustics like they did with the South end zone.

Elevated seats also serve to shade the patio. It is good when form follows function.

I think that one of the corners would be the best place to have the patio, 2nd level seat combo.

Barta mentioned extending the suites from the West stands to the North Endzone.

If they are going to do that I think it would be best to have some sort of club seating in the Northwest and Northeast corners of the stadium. In fact that is where they have the most room to do something.

My guess actual seats in the north endzone go down but added suite seats (however they set it up) will keep seating right at 70K.

Plus it would be cool to have the north endzone somewhat "bowled in"

I can picture that too. That would have the suites curving around the corner similar to the way it does at soldiers field right?

I actually like kinnick the way it is. Very much like how it is a walk down stadium with the majority of it below the ground, like the pit feel of it. I like how there's no special seating for special people outside of the few press box suites. We all get the same type and size of seat. We're all together, it's uniform. I don't like the idea of patios and recliners and giant blow up hot dogs and beer and special seats and special people and breaking up the way the seating is set up. I can go to an I Cubs game anytime I want. Nor do I like the idea of going below 70k. But.... I will say that the recent stadium improvements that have been made have made it better, scoreboard, ribbon, sound system, kinnick statue, more bathroom space, etc. they are throwing some money on this so I'm skeptically hopeful. If they screw this up, I'm egging bary gartas house and taking a dump on his doorstep.

If it's anything like the product on the field the last five years, the post season depth chart release, the goofy survey, etc. yeah, good chance for screw up.

The Tampa Bay pro stadium (can't think of the name) has a patio at one end opposite the pirate ship at the other end. It has picnic tables, lots of concession stands, lots of room to walk around. I really enjoyed using that when i was there for bowl games. You could even have a cold beer, visit with fans from both teams, and just hang out.

The "patios" in the south endzone are very popular gathering spots now. I have my season tickets there and really enjoy hanging out on those (sort of) patios.

I got the impression that the premium seating/skyboxes would go up to the NW corner of the north endzone, but not across the current north endzone...clarification would be interesting.

We need to really make 70,000+ seating a priority. Also, maintaining the traditional old brick look to the stadium with its great proximity to the field is very important, in my opinion.

When this is all done there won't be a seat in Kinnick free, you'll have to pay the I-Club for your seat. I sit in N endzone and just changed my seats to 3 on the end of a row, now what's gonna happen. I suppose I'll lose those seats next year. Might be my last year giving if I get moved to far in.

Latest posts