More game day changes coming?

I just don't understand why the people in charge need to **** with a good thing. The gameday experience is very unique in Iowa City, and it seems like they won't be happy until it's totally ruined and done away with.

They are using zoning laws as the catalyst for this. They're saying the land is residential only and therefore commercial activities shouldn't be taking place there.

that's all well and good but WHY? What's the harm? Are they just really so bored up there at city hall that they can't find anything better to do?

I understand them wanting to cut back drinking, I don't agree that they go about doing it in an effective way but i can understand why they would want to do something about it.

This is just stupid. The vendors are causing no harm and are probably helping out the economy of Iowa City. Not to mention this will kill the game day experience, which is a huge draw for people to visit Iowa city, and again bring in money.

our elected officials are idiots from the top down.

that's all well and good but WHY? What's the harm? Are they just really so bored up there at city hall that they can't find anything better to do?

The article said that supposedly they got complaints from some of the residents in the area. I'm not sure if I believe that. Seriously, it's not like the stadium was built overnight and it came out of nowhere. This activity has been taking place for years so if you decided to live in that area, you have no right to complain, you should have known what you were getting into.

i don't know how many times i have had to buy gloves, sweat shirts, coats out of the blue because its freezing...some of those vendors thrive for gameday and without that income coming in would ruin their business and lives

some fing ppl my god

Seems like even if it violates zoning laws, economic impact will be effectively reduced to a crawl and a special condition or amendment should be added for the benefit of fans and commerce!
Who are these bozos in charge anyway?:mad:

The article said that supposedly they got complaints from some of the residents in the area. I'm not sure if I believe that. Seriously, it's not like the stadium was built overnight and it came out of nowhere. This activity has been taking place for years so if you decided to live in that area, you have no right to complain, you should have known what you were getting into.

It's most likely 1 person that complains numerous times. Similar to the Val air deal in Des Moines.

yeah, in my experience it is usually one person or a very small group that has way too much time on their hands and get a bug up their ***. if not this they would be making someone elses life miserable.

The problem is that they have the law on their side so the officials can't just tell them to shut up (assuming they want to). they'll have to give the vendors some official pass to stop this from happening every year.

if they remove the Melrose vendors it will turn into lame-a$$ tailgating like at gophers stadium...
thanks C.A.V.E People (Citizens Against Virtually Everything)

I hate what Iowa City has become. Everything good about this town dwindling. I will be pi$$ed if I can't wait take my kid to get his first big a$$ turkey leg like my dad did with me.

I guess IC doesn't want 70k people with cash and credit cards visiting 8 weekends each fall. Seriously, vendors are a problem? Really? Vendors?

Police the drunk and obnoxious if you will but that food and clothing vendor can't be causing you any harm.

I understand them wanting to cut back drinking, I don't agree that they go about doing it in an effective way but i can understand why they would want to do something about it.

This is just stupid. The vendors are causing no harm and are probably helping out the economy of Iowa City. Not to mention this will kill the game day experience, which is a huge draw for people to visit Iowa city, and again bring in money.

our elected officials are idiots from the top down.

Yeah, they want to cut back on game day drinking (intoxication) by getting rid of food vendors. When you eat it helps absorbs the alcohol. When you eat you are less likely to drink as much.

Go figure.

The thing that makes this tough is that it isnt going to be the University changing any policy. Your voice will not make a bit of difference on this unless you are an Iowa City resident.

Why don't they move the stadium while they're at it, I'm sure that's destroying the residential feel of the neighborhood as well. Classic tail wagging the dog. Who the eff is running that town? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I'm sure the city collects a nice little business tax from those vendors, not to mention just circulating more money into the local economy.

Latest posts