Miller: The Hawkeyes Have a Chance to Retake Something from Wisconsin

Not only will our defense not be able to stop them, but how will our offense do anything against their defense. We are no longer the bullies of the big ten, and we aren't magically getting that back this weekend. We've been pushed around by some awful lines this year on both sides of the ball, and Wisconsin is far from awful on both lines.

you ruined it. We've all been saying all of that for 12 weeks. It was nice to talk about how we'd like things to be....... for a change.

I usually detest the articles written by the editors of these sites as they are so awash in spin and rarely, if ever, tell the story as it truly is. This isn't one of those. Agree wholeheartedly with EVERYTHING written.

This is the best first post in HN history

Thinking about that gm and the fake punt makes me sick! Our boys are going to have to play the game of their life to pull this one out. Hopefully being at Kinnick gives us a little edge. Our programs due for a big win.

This fan base is putting Kirk on notice. You want to win us back? Well this your shot to do just that.

This is PUT UP or SHUT UP time. We are a massive underdog in this game. I do not want to see some shoddy display of football where we try to out finesse them and make a boat load of silly mistakes. This is about the entire program bringing it and bringing it for 60 minutes. If we have a vaunted strength and conditioning program? Then prove it. Nothing less than the very best we have will do. Throw out the one week at a time and we do not want to get to high or low manta. Bring it for once. You get this one and you make a big deposit in the trust bank account.

Think 'ol Kirk has been rope-a-doping us all season, and this is the game he has been waiting for to unleash CJ and make use of Iowa's speed advantage with Powell, Smith, Duzey and Kittle?

Nah, me neither. But I got a toddler and a 4 month old, and booze alone can't always get me through the week.

It is going to be a tall order. This game is where CJ has the advantage over Jake. Wisconsin is going to stack the box and dare Jake to throw. Jake struggles when this happens and either is too quick to check down to a run or short pass, or else panics.

With CJ, Wisconsin is forced to respect the pass. If they don't, they will get burned.

Unfortunately, we are not likely to see CJ unless it is a blowout. Kirk/Davis will come out trying to run Weisman on stretch plays, which are not going to work.

I'm hoping somehow....some way...Iowa can pull this one out.

This old argument is getting really tired. I attend all of Iowa's home and away games and talk to a lot of people, many of whom are very knowledgeable about the condition of Iowa football. Quite frankly, not that many of them see any QB controversy at all. The myth of CJ
is just that, according to many. It is NOT that we don't respect the kid; we just don't think there is any overwhelming reason to see him as a savior. Sorry.

This fan base is putting Kirk on notice. You want to win us back? Well this your shot to do just that.

This is PUT UP or SHUT UP time. We are a massive underdog in this game. I do not want to see some shoddy display of football where we try to out finesse them and make a boat load of silly mistakes. This is about the entire program bringing it and bringing it for 60 minutes. If we have a vaunted strength and conditioning program? Then prove it. Nothing less than the very best we have will do. Throw out the one week at a time and we do not want to get to high or low manta. Bring it for once. You get this one and you make a big deposit in the trust bank account.

What fan base? Thank you for telling me what I think.

This old argument is getting really tired. I attend all of Iowa's home and away games and talk to a lot of people, many of whom are very knowledgeable about the condition of Iowa football. Quite frankly, not that many of them see any QB controversy at all. The myth of CJ
is just that, according to many. It is NOT that we don't respect the kid; we just don't think there is any overwhelming reason to see him as a savior. Sorry.

Then you aren't wearing the right prescription lenses. His throws are on the money, he goes through his progressions faster, delivers the ball in a straight line of flight, bails out of play calls less often, and doesn't turn the ball over like JR under duress.

JR passes tests. CJB just passes touchdowns. Btw, the Hawkeye QBs that have been successful under KF (and under GDGD at Texas) have all been guys with rocket arms that can throw the ball on a tightrope into a phone booth and hit the # key while on the run. JR is a fine QB, but this system is not a good match for his talents. CJB just fits better.

Not that this Wisconsin game will be won by the QBs. Donnel, Gaul, Scherff, Blythe, Ott, and LTP are the keys to the game this week. They have to man up and hold the line against Wisconsin. I hope they take this challenge against Wisconsin personally and come out breathing cinders and ash.

I have not been so fired up about a game in a long time. On paper, this game doesn't look close. It will take a lot of heart to win. If they pull it off it will be a proud, proud day to be a Hawkeye.

A lot of people in carhartt and hunting gear drinking a lot of busch light and peppermint schnaaps creating just a rockin atmosphere. You get 4 or 5, 3rd and long situations the crowd is going nuts and Stave craps his pants. Scenario likely doesn't happen, but you can hope.

Not just the narrative, but the fact:

Earlier in the fourth quarter, the Hawkeyes also slipped up when they allowed Wisconsin to convert a fake punt into a first down on what turned out to be the Badgers' game-winning drive.

"Had we gone punt safe, it wouldn't have been an issue," Ferentz said. "We blew that one. That's my job."

So no, they were not expecting a fake punt. At that point in the field and game, punt safe is the call and I am sure Kirk would do that 10 times out of 10 now. I am not saying it was an obvious thing, either, and that Kirk should have seen it coming. But its one of the things you have to process when that is your job

It was obvious. The whole stadium saw the fake punt coming...accept the Iowa coaching staff.

It's time.

[video=youtube;oSDhhZtRwFU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSDhhZtRwFU[/video]

Love this movie...and love that scene!

As for Jon's article, it is a very good summation to get us to believe that there just might be a purpose to this season. Or at least a reason to get excited for a game. He's right, this is a big, big game for Iowa for this season, and possibly for the program (at least a piece of the puzzle for program resurgence)!

It's got me now excited for next Saturday. It may be doable. We've seen reason to believe so, but we've also witnessed many, many things this season that argue to the contrary. If we win this week...it puts us in a position to beat Nebraska next week with a shot at the conference championship game....THAT will help restore what we all want most out of winning Hawkeye football...(as JDM said)...Relevance!

You left out the name of the RB commit that decided to flip from Iowa to Wiscy due to this game and how the 2 teams finished the season.

Wisconsin rolls us by 20+, we aren't good folks, beating a crappy Illinois team doesn't change anything.

This is very possible, although Hawks are getting Wiscy at a prime time. They had Nebraska circled and put everything they had into that performance. Hard to fight human nature with Wiscy having it in the back of their mind as playing "lil ol Iowa" as breather game that they don't have to get up for like they did the previous week. Hawks have to come in like it's the freaking Super Bowl and punch them in the mouth early and get the Badgers on their heels. Now if Wiscy can get past the emotional high of the Nebraska game and come into Kinnick and take care of business, that'll say a lot about the mental focus of their team and their coaching staff.