Miller: The Hawkeyes Have a Chance to Retake Something from Wisconsin

Melvin Gordon is gonna hit the edges of this Iowa D and rack up about 225 yds. Even so, Iowa has a chance being at home. I'm predicting OT. Winner? Too close to call.

It is going to be a tall order. This game is where CJ has the advantage over Jake. Wisconsin is going to stack the box and dare Jake to throw. Jake struggles when this happens and either is too quick to check down to a run or short pass, or else panics.

With CJ, Wisconsin is forced to respect the pass. If they don't, they will get burned.

Unfortunately, we are not likely to see CJ unless it is a blowout. Kirk/Davis will come out trying to run Weisman on stretch plays, which are not going to work.

I'm hoping somehow....some way...Iowa can pull this one out.

Gonna be on one cheek all game, rarely do you play a team that is real threat to take a run to the house every play.

I made mention in another post, but I wonder just how impressive Wisco's win was over Nebraska......a team that almost lost to an FCS opponent and best wins comes against Miami and Northwestern. My hope is Wisconsin beat up on a weak Nebraska at home and will come into Kinnick and be brought back to Earth. But, good, no great Iowa needs to show up for that to happen.

Nice article Jon.

To add to this, did anyone see the Vikings' brilliant fake punt against the Bears today? It sure would be fitting for Iowa to run something like that against WI with Jonathan Parker as the ball carrier. For those that didn't see it, here's a link to the replay.

from the article:

" That’s when Bielema did something that Kirk Ferentz never saw coming, because Ferentz would never consider such a thing; the fake punt from their own 26. "

Well that's the narrative and I remember thinking the same thing after that play. The thing is, I also remember reading an article about the game where Kirk said that the players were told to watch for the fake just before they took the field. Sure does not look like they were anticipating it (maybe they forgot after they took the field). Or maybe I was thinking of an article describing 6 other successful fakes that took place since that one.

If, for one reason, and one reason only, Ferentz would ever be a gambler.....this has to be the game.....this is for the whole enchilada imo....Welcome to the jungle Connie, welcome to the jungle....Are there such things as good luck charms?...well, if there is, we need every damn one of them....no one of this board will get any sleep this whole week....:)

from the article:

" That’s when Bielema did something that Kirk Ferentz never saw coming, because Ferentz would never consider such a thing; the fake punt from their own 26. "

Well that's the narrative and I remember thinking the same thing after that play. The thing is, I also remember reading an article about the game where Kirk said that the players were told to watch for the fake just before they took the field. Sure does not look like they were anticipating it (maybe they forgot after they took the field). Or maybe I was thinking of an article describing 6 other successful fakes that took place since that one.

Not just the narrative, but the fact:

Earlier in the fourth quarter, the Hawkeyes also slipped up when they allowed Wisconsin to convert a fake punt into a first down on what turned out to be the Badgers' game-winning drive.

"Had we gone punt safe, it wouldn't have been an issue," Ferentz said. "We blew that one. That's my job."

So no, they were not expecting a fake punt. At that point in the field and game, punt safe is the call and I am sure Kirk would do that 10 times out of 10 now. I am not saying it was an obvious thing, either, and that Kirk should have seen it coming. But its one of the things you have to process when that is your job

I'll take this a step further. Iowa has a chance to take back their pride, as a program. The many detractors over the past 4+ seasons, have been right, many times. Not every, but many.

Iowa is faced with a mini playoff scenario that could make them champions. They face a team whose greatest offensive weapon, is their running game and matches up against Iowa's biggest defensive weakness, run defense. Iowa needs to throw the ball all over the field to win this game. Will ego and personnel decisions allow this to happen? This is a "look in the mirror" final two games of the regular season. Iowa must be, in many ways, what they haven't been all season, but can be, and be what they are, but haven't been.

These next 3 games require a return of the "Bullies." It's just time! And we're just due!

It is going to be a tall order. This game is where CJ has the advantage over Jake. Wisconsin is going to stack the box and dare Jake to throw. Jake struggles when this happens and either is too quick to check down to a run or short pass, or else panics.

With CJ, Wisconsin is forced to respect the pass. If they don't, they will get burned.

Unfortunately, we are not likely to see CJ unless it is a blowout. Kirk/Davis will come out trying to run Weisman on stretch plays, which are not going to work.

I'm hoping somehow....some way...Iowa can pull this one out.

If the play involves throwing or running CJ has the advantage.

If it involves audibling to the run play to the short side, Jake has the advantage.

The criteria this coach uses to make his selections is sickening.

Not only will our defense not be able to stop them, but how will our offense do anything against their defense. We are no longer the bullies of the big ten, and we aren't magically getting that back this weekend. We've been pushed around by some awful lines this year on both sides of the ball, and Wisconsin is far from awful on both lines.