Miller: Stanzi for Heisman? Time to think about it

Rick still needs a couple of things to happen to be in consideration for the Heisman. First Iowa to win out. Second Rick to have outstanding performance numbers against Ohio State and Michigan State. Not just good numbers, outstanding.

I don't think 250+ yards will do it, he needs more like 300+. And he needs to carry the team past Ohio State and Michigan State. He needs to make his mark in these nationally televised games. He has the basics to push towards a record setting year but without better numbers he is just going to be another good senior QB.

It's going to be tough to compete against Boise State when they are putting up 50 points a game and Iowa puts up 27. Kellen Moore is posting 300+ and 3 TDs every game because Boise has a joke of a schedule.

Last edited:
Poor special teams play cost Iowa this game but there should be no more Stanzi Heisman talk.

I hope so. A lot of our fans can get back down to reality. I love KF and he is a nice guy, and we will always be in the top 3 of the big ten each year, but as far as getting to the Rose Bowl or NC, it will never happen under KF.

Seriously? he is very very average. nice kid...like him on our uni....but not a championship caliber QB

Stanzi played pretty well today. He didn't make any big mistakes, seemed like he was on-target with most of his throws (disappointing that several his fades to DJK/McNutt floated out of bounds, not allowing them to even try to make a play on them), and seemed to respond well when Wisconsin kept scoring.

However, I would expect a 5th year senior to be a bit more heady at the end. I put most of the blame on the staff in the pre-4th down timeout huddle, but Rick has to know not to take a sack or throw a ball to the middle of the field. He needs to aim for ARob's shoetops if he throws that ball...and short-hop it.

Stanzi played pretty well today. He didn't make any big mistakes, seemed like he was on-target with most of his throws (disappointing that several his fades to DJK/McNutt floated out of bounds, not allowing them to even try to make a play on them), and seemed to respond well when Wisconsin kept scoring.

However, I would expect a 5th year senior to be a bit more heady at the end. I put most of the blame on the staff in the pre-4th down timeout huddle, but Rick has to know not to take a sack or throw a ball to the middle of the field. He needs to aim for ARob's shoetops if he throws that ball...and short-hop it.

Well put hawkfan.

I am not sure if we will ever find out what happened.

It will be tough to convince me that the team was not told what to do after getting the first down, and that could not have been to call another timeout...then again, everyone was looking over to the sideline for direction.

Stanzi has been so cool so often I am not going to just assume that he screwed up, either.

I am not sure if we will ever find out what happened.

It will be tough to convince me that the team was not told what to do after getting the first down, and that could not have been to call another timeout...then again, everyone was looking over to the sideline for direction.

Stanzi has been so cool so often I am not going to just assume that he screwed up, either.

What I think happened was...

They went into the first timeout and planned the sneak and planned to run a play right after that without spiking or calling another timeout to catch Wisconsin off guard. They got the first, and the offense tried to get organized to run the play but there was just too much chaos to get it off. So when the coaches and Stanzi realized too much time would go off the clock to run the play, Stanzi just got confused and called timeout as a fallback. Understandable given the chaotic circumstances and everything going on, but you wish a 5th year quarterback could handle the situation better.

Big mistake = taking a sack on the last drive. That changed everything. How many times did Tolzien throw it away to prevent a sack?

On target BUT several of his fades floated out-of-bounds.

You contradicted yourself 2x in one post.

What I think happened was...

They went into the first timeout and planned the sneak and planned to run a play right after that without spiking or calling another timeout to catch Wisconsin off guard. They got the first, and the offense tried to get organized to run the play but there was just too much chaos to get it off. So when the coaches and Stanzi realized too much time would go off the clock to run the play, Stanzi just got confused and called timeout as a fallback. Understandable given the chaotic circumstances and everything going on, but you wish a 5th year quarterback could handle the situation better.

No, According to Ferentz after the game, the plan was always to call the TO.

Hawks played not to lose and the badgers played to win! End of story!

That's the way we play regardless who the opponent is. Heisman QB's throw the ball out of bounds. I'm not just talking about the Wisky game. I wish someone could go through all the games this year and see how many sacks could've been avoided.

Big mistake = taking a sack on the last drive. That changed everything. How many times did Tolzien throw it away to prevent a sack?

On target BUT several of his fades floated out-of-bounds.

You contradicted yourself 2x in one post.

Actually, no, I didn't.

1. He couldn't get out of the pocket to throw it away, and it looked like Zus was getting shoved right back into him, which negated his ability to throw it into the 3rd row from the pocket. It was a mistake, but not solely on him. And if Watt doesn't make a great grab of his shoetops, he gets out of the pocket and has the opportunity to throw it away.

2. You conveniently left out part of my post on your second point...my quote was that he was on target WITH MOST OF HIS THROWS. It's a little disappointing that when we've got 1 on 1 on the outside we don't even give our playmakers chances to make plays.

Latest posts