Miller: Stanzi for Heisman? Time to think about it

A lot of short sighted people on here that just don't get it. There is no way that if Iowa wins out and Ricky continues to put up these numbers that he won't be in strong consideration for the Heisman.

A QB with great numbers on a top 5 team is always considered.

Winning out and putting up the same kind of numbers is going to be tough to do, but if it's done, Ricky will be right in the hunt.

Right. We're short sided just because we don't agree with your opinion. A lot of us have given reasons why we're not buying the Heisman hope for Stanzi. Just because we refuse to gulp the kool-aid doesn't make us short sided.

By the way, there have been plenty of QB's that have had Stanzi's "projected" stats that weren't invited to NYC. Regardless, I don't expect Stanzi to have the same stats the second half of the season. Defenses are going to be much tougher on a collective basis. One could argue that projecting stats for the second half of the season based on the first half is actually what is "short sided."

OK,as it stands right now the top five are:

Kellen Moore- odds on favorite. Will continue to put up insane numbers vs a light schedule and will be the #1 rated passer in the country. I put him at a 50% chance.

Cam Newton- #2 rated passer,will get huge pub if Auburn continues to win over the likes of LSU and Bama. I give him a 30% chance.

Michael LaJames- Oregon rb will also get a lot of pub as Oregon drives to title game shot. 20% chance.

It will be one of these three, I would wager.

4. Ingram- Bama...needs a huge kick to get back in the hunt.
5. Murray- rb from OK...if they run the table he will get a look.

Ricky has no real shot,but he deserves some pub for his season.

I understand it's important to build the hype early in Heisman races, but nobody on the team, particularly Stanzi pays attention to any of this talk. It is very possible that we end up 8-4 this year. It's also very possible we end up 11-1. I feel there is a small margin for error during this tough stretch and the team better not focus on awards or BCS bowls, instead of focusing on what is in front of them

In order for Stanzi to win the Heisman:

1) Win out.

2) Put up big numbers with little to no turnovers. I'm thinking 250+ yards of passing per game AT LEAST, many TDs and no or very few interceptions. Since he's not a scrambling QB, he's not going to be getting too many yards on the ground (in fact I think he's averaging negative rushing yards, counting sacks and other lost yards). He could get a few rushing TDs on short situations, but we'll have to see.

3) Have some help from guys like Cam Newton. In that, hope that their production drops off and moves them down in the Heisman Hype.

I just don't see Ricky winning the Heisman. He's a vanilla QB on a vanilla team from a vanilla conference.

Right. We're short sided just because we don't agree with your opinion. A lot of us have given reasons why we're not buying the Heisman hope for Stanzi. Just because we refuse to gulp the kool-aid doesn't make us short sided.

By the way, there have been plenty of QB's that have had Stanzi's "projected" stats that weren't invited to NYC. Regardless, I don't expect Stanzi to have the same stats the second half of the season. Defenses are going to be much tougher on a collective basis. One could argue that projecting stats for the second half of the season based on the first half is actually what is "short sided."

They are big IF's. But if Iowa wins out and if Stanzi puts up similar numbers, he will be in strong consideration for the Heisman.

It's not really even debatable if those things happen.

It doesn't matter what you think about his deep ball.

OK,as it stands right now the top five are:

Kellen Moore- odds on favorite. Will continue to put up insane numbers vs a light schedule and will be the #1 rated passer in the country. I put him at a 50% chance.

Cam Newton- #2 rated passer,will get huge pub if Auburn continues to win over the likes of LSU and Bama. I give him a 30% chance.

Michael LaJames- Oregon rb will also get a lot of pub as Oregon drives to title game shot. 20% chance.

It will be one of these three, I would wager.

4. Ingram- Bama...needs a huge kick to get back in the hunt.
5. Murray- rb from OK...if they run the table he will get a look.

Ricky has no real shot,but he deserves some pub for his season.

Ingram won't even sniff an invite
Moores #'s are not insane. Moore has 16 Td's and 1 INT against inferior competition. while his numbers are better, he also played New Mexico St, San Jose St, Wyoming and Toledo....

I'll be tickled pink if Ricky is 2nd team AC let alone 2nd team AA. Right now Ricky's off to a real nice start to the season.

His inability to consistently hit the deep ball will keep him far away from NYC.

I realize that Iowa doesn't have a long storied history of prize winning QBs, but minus Chuck Long there's not another Iowa QB in my lifetime that has thrown the deep ball better.

Are Stanzi's "projected stats" through 12 regular season games only? Or is there a bowl game being considered?

Banks played in 13 games in 2002, including the Orange Bowl.
Long played in 12 games during each of the years he fully started (83-85), which include a bowl game (11 regualar season and a bowl game for 12 total)

Seth -

Jon's projected numbers are through 13 games (i.e. including the bowl game).

And, let's not forget a certain number #23 didn't get an invite....an invite...to the Heisman party two years ago.

That speaks volumes to Iowa's national perception, and to be fair, the lack of sports-marketing effectiveness at UI.

While I agree that Shonn Greene's numbers were more deserving than Stanzi's (at least as it stands right now), you can't compare 2008 and 2010. The 2008 Heisman race pitted Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy against each other-- one guy was the defending Heisman winner, one a future #1 pick, and the other the all-time winningest college QB. It was one of the years in which three guys were recognized from the beginning and they performed well all year, which is why they only invited three guys to the ceremony. The gap between #3 and #4 in terms of votes was huge. Even in that mix, Greene was 6th.

Heisman 2008 Behind the numbers | Upon Further Review

This year is completely different. The preseason favorite (Pryor) has fizzled, as has the reigning trophy holder. Cam Newton has played well, and Kellen Moore will be recognized for his career record. But who else has staked a claim to one of the top 5 spots?

Much like Iowa's Big Ten title hopes, the Heisman race is on the table and up for grabs. This is one of the reasons why this season has already been much more exciting than the last couple, when the pre-ordained teams and players marched through the season undefeated.

If Iowa heads to Minnesota at 7 and 0 in the conference, and 10 and 1 overall, he will get consideration at that point.

Shonn Greene's numbers coupled with Iowa's record last year would have likely won him the Heisman. He was simply in the wrong year to even get a fair shot at the trophy. However, he was recognized as the best RB in the country, so there was that.

Stanzi has too many thing going against him to be a reasonable Heisman candidate. He could get enough support to at least get into the top 5, but barring a fantastic season, I can't see him getting any further.

Shonn Greene's numbers coupled with Iowa's record last year would have likely won him the Heisman. He was simply in the wrong year to even get a fair shot at the trophy. However, he was recognized as the best RB in the country, so there was that.

Stanzi has too many thing going against him to be a reasonable Heisman candidate. He could get enough support to at least get into the top 5, but barring a fantastic season, I can't see him getting any further.

If Stanzi were to finish the season in the same fashion he started the season, wouldn't that be a "fantastic season"?

I think Ricky throws a damn good deep ball. Some people act as though every throw is suppose to be on the money. Heck, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and a list of others throw balls off the mark every single game. It happens, just like some receivers drop the ball on occasion.

Iowa throws the ball down field a lot. He is currently completing roughly 70% of his throws. I don't know where this perception by some that he is not accurate on the deep ball comes from. See DJK against Ball St. See his Soph year at Indiana to Brodell and at home against Northwestern. How about this year against Penn St. where he threw perfect strikes to numerous receivers downfield right on the money. He is very accurate.

I know that we remember the things we see when we are younger with a much more exagerated impact...

I have felt that Chuck Long and Chuck Hartlieb were untouchable, based on my memory through the eye of a child's mind.

But the numbers Stanzi are putting up are favorable to Hartlieb's..he already has 44 career TD passes to Hartlieb's 37. Stanzi is about 1100 yards back of Hartlieb with roughly 100 fewer attempts.

I guess the kids that are growing up now watching Iowa football are going to remember Stanzi as a larger than life figure for a long, long time...because Stanzi is doing things similar to what Long and Hartlieb did...

Stanzi's numbers are going to be amazing this season. All-conference amazing, maybe All-American amazing.

IMO, the problem is that there is very little room for a pocket-passer QB in a Heisman world filled with Tebows, Denard Robinsons and Taylor Martinezs'

Stanzi will get recognized if he keeps things going as they are, but unfortunately he won't get the full credit he deserves.

Funny thing is, he will probably be a better pro prospect than any of those other "glamor" QB's, but at the college level he's going to get passed over a little bit.

Stanzi's numbers are going to be amazing this season. All-conference amazing, maybe All-American amazing.

IMO, the problem is that there is very little room for a pocket-passer QB in a Heisman world filled with Tebows, Denard Robinsons and Taylor Martinezs'

Stanzi will get recognized if he keeps things going as they are, but unfortunately he won't get the full credit he deserves.

Funny thing is, he will probably be a better pro prospect than any of those other "glamor" QB's, but at the college level he's going to get passed over a little bit.

I know it's tough to tell, because he still gets more pub on college gameday live than most players, but Tebow doesn't play college football anymore.

Latest posts