Miller: Rest of Schedule Favors Iowa

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Before the basketball season began, I wrote about how Iowa's Big Ten schedule was about as good as one could have hoped for related to the teams the Hawks play just one time.

Those teams (and their rankings prior to this weekend) are #5 Ohio State, #6 Michigan State, #13 Michigan and Illinois. *As of Sunday afternoon at 2:45p, those teams had a combined ranking of 59-13 and are four of the five best teams in the Big Ten, along with Indiana. Iowa has already played three of those teams, with the one-off game against*Illinois*coming later in the season.

We also knew that Iowa's schedule to start Big Ten conference play might have been the most challenging seven-game stretch any Big Ten team would play this year. *However, the Hawkeyes are off to a shocking 3-3 start with the final piece of that stretch to come Tuesday night at Purdue, a team Iowa nearly beat to start the Big Ten season and a team that lost by 20 at Penn State and by five at home to Wisconsin.

The odds suggest Iowa will fall to Purdue and sit at 3-4. *If you would have offered me a 3-4 record to start Big Ten play back in late December before the conference season began, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. *No debate, no consideration. *I didn't think this year's Iowa team could win three of its first seven games, not with road trips to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan State sandwiched around home games against a Final Four caliber team in Ohio State and a Sweet 16 caliber team in Michigan.

Iowa now sits at 11-8. *The 11 wins matches last year's win total for the season, so Fran McCaffery will continue his track record of producing far better results in year two than what he had in year one at every one of his coaching stops. *When he was hired, we knew from his resume that he was a program rebuilder. *He took what he was given, which in nearly every instance was not a good situation, and has turned it into an NCAA qualifier.

This year's team is much better than last year's team and this year's team is much better than the Iowa team of late November and early December. *It helps to have a healthy Bryce Cartwright in the mix, but it also helps that there are multiple scoring options on this team which has lessened the burden on Matt Gatens. *In turn, Gatens is playing the best basketball of his career and it's not up for debate.

We're also seeing the potential of Zach McCabe, who creates mismatch problems with opposing four's due to his ball skills and sneaky quick first step. *We're seeing great results from Aaron White, a true freshman who is Iowa's third leading scorer and one of its better rebounders. *We know that Melsahn Basabe is capable of a lot more than we have seen, namely in the consistency department. *We've seen the maturation and evolution of Devyn Marble into someone that can not just give Iowa point guard minutes, but is excelling with the ball in his hand.

That last piece might be the most important factor for this program and may make Marble one of the most*significant*recruiting finds for this program of the last decade.

Iowa will bring in Mike Gesell next year and he'll play some point guard minutes. *But with Marble's solid play at the point, Gesell won't have to shoulder that load alone. *He'll get to come off the bench and also play some two guard. *He'll get the time to make some mistakes and learn on the job without the pressure of being the lone solider with the ball in his hand.

In my opinion, the evolution of Marble as a point guard means that this team doesn't have a glass ceiling next year as it relates to the post season.

Prior to the start of this year, I felt that Iowa was probably two years away from a legitimate shot at the NCAA tournament. *If I had to wager, I'd still say the 2014 NCAA tournament is more likely than the 2013 NCAA tournament, but I am not longer 'resigning' myself to that notion.

I want to stop there, because we'll have plenty of time to talk about that this off season and I never intended to go down such a road with this piece...back to the schedule.

Iowa plays at Purdue on Tuesday and then has a nine-day break in the action; it will host Nebraska on January 26th. *Coaches love that bye week, because it allows them to do some actual in-season teaching, a rarity once the conference season begins. *This could be the perfect time for Basabe to get an 'effort adjustment'. *It will be a nice 'break' for the younger players like White and Josh Oglesby. *It will be more time for Cartwright to continue to round out his game and totally shake the hamstring fatigue.

I think Iowa will lose to Purdue and beat Nebraska, putting them at .500 late in the night on January 26th, a place they probably haven't been in six years. *After that, he's what the final ten games look like:

-at Indiana: That's a tough out with the way the Hoosiers are playing. 4-5
-Minnesota: Hawks have already won in The Barn. 5-5
-Penn State: Have to beat a team like this on your home court. 6-5, over .500 in February?
-at Northwestern: This has not been a kind venue for Iowa
-at Penn State: Split this road trip to get to 7-6
-Indiana
-Wisconsin: Another split? 8-7
-at Illinois: two wins at The Hall since 1987
-at Nebraska
-Northwestern: 1-2 over that stretch

That would put Iowa at 9-9 for the Big Ten regular season and 17-14 for the year. That might be good enough for the 6th seed in the Big Ten tournament, which would be the best seed draw they could get outside of a Top Four seed and a first round bye. It would also be amazing progress. 7-11 in the Big would be great progress, as would 8-10. 9-9 would be more than any reasonable basketball mind would have projected in this year's Big Ten, a year where eight teams may make the NCAA tournament.

If the Hawks can manage just five more wins before the end of the season, which would mean a 5-7 record down the stretch, it would mean a guaranteed .500 or better season.

I think they'll get that done, at the least and it will mean Iowa will get an invitation to one of the post season tournaments. If they can get to 17-14 and then win the opening round game in the Big Ten tournament, it could put them in contention for the NIT but that tournament has been more selective in recent years.

At any rate, I'll take any post season invitation because it will mean the Hawkeye program is heading in the right direction. Couple that with best recruiting class in a decade and fan interest at a five year high and things are looking up for the Iowa cagers.

Calling the split with Indiana and Wisky is bold. Calling the win against Minny is also bold. Think I will just go with beating the easier teams in the harder venues. Even though some places haven't been friendly for the Hawks, this team has young players who might not know that these places should be tough.

Jon is a bold man, and the possibility exists if we continue to play as we have in four of the first six B1G games. We came very close to beating Purdue despite not looking that good most of the night. A lucky bounce or two for us and/or against them and we win that game.

We dictated the pace and style of game in our three wins. We continue to do so and we will win more. How many remains to be seen, but it can be done. Quite a difference, to be able to sincerely speculate whether or not we finish around 500 in conference.

It will be difficult to win at Purdue, but that was the case at Wisky and Minne also. Purdue remembers that we beat them last season at Carver, and they know they were lucky to win at this year at Carver. We shall see.....

:)

Is it possible for the NIT to become more selective in recent years? Haven't they always had to take the next 32 teams after the NCAA tourney? Are they cherry picking some international and AAU squads?

Calling the split with Indiana and Wisky is bold. Calling the win against Minny is also bold. Think I will just go with beating the easier teams in the harder venues. Even though some places haven't been friendly for the Hawks, this team has young players who might not know that these places should be tough.

Wisky might be a little bold, but we always play them tough in Carver and we beat them in the Kohl Center. I'm not overly concerned about Minnesota. They just aren't very good outside of Sampson.

It's hard to believe the possibility is there for 9-9, 10-8, or even 11-7. I never would have guessed we'd have a chance for an over-.500 season in the Big Ten this year.

So if this serves as your prediction, what do you see as being the realistic best case scenario? Realistic worst-case scenario?

my opinion of each team left

@Purdue they caught Iowa at the beginning of BT with a BP that came into the game avg 4 ppg, can Bird dupilcate his performance twice i am very doubtful. Hummel can score but can't beat Iowa by himself. with winning at Wiscy and Minnesota, this give this team the confidence to win at Purdue, pay back time Iowa wins, 4-3
Nebraska @ Iowa is finding out how hard the BT is; 5-3
@Indiana is getting back, Zeller gives them something that Iowa lacks in the middle;5-4
Minnesota @ Iowa is struggling this year and even more so on the road;6-4
Penn St @ Iowa lost more than they could afford and like all teams are finding it difficult to win on the road 7-4
@ Northwesten,on the road it is no picnic, loss 7-5
@ PSU on the road but this i call a push but i will put it the win column 8-5
Indiana @ Iowa the home court wins this game 9-5
Wisconsin @ Iowa confidence is growing and again home court advantage 10-5
@ Illinois Iowa even in their best years rarely won 10-6
@Nebraska home court not enough for this one 11-6
Northwestern @ Iowa last game of regular season Senior nite 12-6

i may be wrong about one maybe 2 games. but this team is better than most people either think or hope to be, to me the 1st games of the OOC schedule Cartwright had a concussion and hamstring problems, Marble also had problems with a concussion and Basabe was over weight and out of shape, they are now in shape and are playing much better.
Marble has really improved from last year, so has McCabe and if you have noticed he is no longer getting the silly fouls like he did early on especially the moving screen. White is getting better and also is getting more minutes
the main thing to consider is May and Gatens are not and never were bad players unforetunately their 1st years were corrupted by a very bad coach
Fran is a very good coach as well as a teacher. the future is getting better and this year team is making a statement to that affect
whether i am right or wrong on the final results are not that important, it is the play on the court that matters

Wisky might be a little bold, but we always play them tough in Carver and we beat them in the Kohl Center. I'm not overly concerned about Minnesota. They just aren't very good outside of Sampson.

Sampson? Seriously? That dude is the softest player in the conference. He was invisible when we played them up there.

Sampson? Seriously? That dude is the softest player in the conference. He was invisible when we played them up there.

He's a big time match up problem for Iowa, though. Even given that he's soft, we don't have anyone that can go toe-to-toe with him. But like I said, I'm not too worried about Minnesota, because they have zero perimeter weapons.

Well for right now I gonna say they beat Purdidly. I think they were close to beating them the first time. I think they will have a lot of motivation for this game. If they come to play Purdue wont have an answer for the Hawks. Hawks win by 7

One guy us old timers may remember is Al McQuire. He believed by the time the freshmen reached the last third of the season they were basically sophomores basketball wise. I think that is true of White and Oglesby looked more comfortable versus Michigan. It really helps to have an eight man rotation with White, Oglesby, and Cartwright able to come off the bench. Getting sub minutes for Basabe remains challenging, but it will have to be by committee.

It really helps in close game to have players that can come off the bench during the last 5 minutes. That is an area where Iowa struggled late last season. Having a bench that plays substantial minutes also helps the starters to be fresher and allows being more aggressive.

Every home game is winnable from here on out and there are a couple of road games where Iowa could squeak out wins. Iowa has to have the effort it put out Saturday to win out at home.

we can talk about the games we *should* win all we want. This team still has some serious growing pains. I predict we will lose at least one or two, that on paper, look easy. On the flip side, we will beat someone we shouldn't, like Indy or Il at home.

I am just gonna sit back and watch every minute of every game, like I have even through the Lickliter years. Except now I am going to enjoy it. Let the record just take care of itself.

I think we should limit predictions to those who actually predicted 3 weeks ago that we would be tied with IN and WI at 3 and 3. By the way, the prediction should be in writing!

So no one can make predictions then?

That was my round about way of stating that this year the B1G is truly bizarre. We have always seen our share of upsets but I don't remember any year with this many surprises. I actually enjoy the predictions but as we read them we need to remember how unpredictable this year has been and will probably continue to be. Hope I'm wrong but that probably means we lose at least 1 that we should not (Campbell).

Last edited by a moderator:
seven of Iowa's remaining 12 Big Ten games are against teams who presently occupy 9th through 12th in the league standings

He's a big time match up problem for Iowa, though. Even given that he's soft, we don't have anyone that can go toe-to-toe with him. But like I said, I'm not too worried about Minnesota, because they have zero perimeter weapons.

Actually Archie defended him decently but its just hard to have him on the court because of his total lack of offensive ability.

Latest posts