Miller: La Cosa Longhorns

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I think I have had my fill of Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com.

I tip my cap to him as the guy who wrote the report last Thursday that six Big 12 schools were going to get invites from the Pac 10 and leave the league. That sent the expansion discussions into overdrive and perhaps sped up the process. So thanks for that.

You probably enhanced your career quite a bit with your reporting late last week, as your face was plastered all over ESPN and your voice was heard around the country. That is great, too…it’s always good to see people from new media breaking news and enhancing the reputation of this new electronic world.

I also get that your sources were inside the Texas athletic department, and in this business, if you don’t have good working relationships with folks in athletic departments, you don’t last long and you won’t likely make a name for yourself unless you go to the profane and inappropriate deck of cards.
I mean all of this, sincerely.

However, given a tweet you sent out on Friday afternoon, I think I have had enough of the grandstanding by proxy.

Here was his tweet: â€Big 12 South schools headed for Pac-10 in 2012 caught off guard by Neb move to B10 in 2011.â€

What? How in the world was Texas caught off guard by this? The President of Texas spoke with the President of Ohio State, via email, back in April. Texas was very likely extended an unofficial invite to the Big Ten. Jim Delaney talked about southern expansion in May. He was talking directly to Texas, without mentioning their name.

Nebraska and the Big Ten have been rumored for weeks and months. The Big 12 South schools were all of the sudden caught off guard that Nebraska could move to the Big Ten by 2011?

Please.

It was either going to be 2011 or 2013, because the Big Ten schedules two years out. Iowa didn’t play Purdue or Illinois last year and won’t this year. They come back on the schedule next year and two teams drop off…or at least, that is what was planned. You likely couldn’t play the 2011 schedule, the first year of the next two year cycle, without giving the road teams in 2011 the return game that is promised them in 2012. Perhaps you are unaware of that aspect, given your location…then again, the Big 12 plays a two year rotator with three teams, so that concept can’t be foreign to you.
We realize that you are acting as a mouthpiece for Texas AD Deloss Dodds, and I am beginning to wonder if you even hit the urinal without firing off a text to Boss Deloss to get his say so.

Texas has tried to orchestrate things so that they benefit the most for Texas. Who is going to argue that? That’s understandable and it’s business.

However, Texas has tried to set Nebraska up as a straw man for the past 10 days, with you playing the role of their advocate, and it’s beyond tired.
Yes, I will defend Nebraska here…especially since they are one of ‘ours’ now.
Nebraska did what was best for them, based on their belief that the Big 12 was on shaky ground going forward. Why was it on shaky ground?

Texas doesn’t want to share revenues equally amongst all conference schools, Texas has been in the business of ‘Texifiying’ the conference since it got in the league, wiping away as many remnants of the Big Eight as they could. Again, that is their perogative and if the other Big 12 schools were foolish enough to allow it, you reap what you sew.

But Nebraska had had enough playing the third fiddle, if even that much, in that league. It’s embarassing watching Oklahoma follow Texas around like a lap dog these past few weeks, given the stature of their football program. Nebraska has too much self respect for that, and they also provide value.
They will come into the Big Ten and get an equal seat at the table after a very short while. It’s a great fit for them.

They aren’t the ones that started the demise of the Big 12; that fate was sealed long ago with a lack of revenue sharing, and the table was titled southward.

I’ll still read your stuff because you are a good writer and I like the subject matter. However, if Texas is looking for the bad guy in all of this, it only needs to look into the mirror.

Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten.

Both CU and Nebby called their bluff... I love it. They just aren't real accustom to not getting what they want... which is why they won't come to the Big10. Jon I really think at this point tweets like the one you mention are being laughed at by everyone excpet TX. They think they are fooling folks... but it's way past that... the joke is on TX.

I know ISU fans are not real happy right now... but getting away from all the TX schools is going to be a HUGE plus going forward.

**edit... yes,
watching OU trot around with TX is sad and embarrassing to watch…. yet entertaining ;)

Last edited:
Osborne was definitely done being "third fiddle" to Texas. Sean Keeler has a couple pretty interesting items today - the timeline of this and especially the shot Osborne takes at Texas:

"This will bring Nebraska the stability that the Big 12 cannot," chancellor Harvey Perlman told the regents.Perlman told regents that he first met with Big Ten officials informally earlier this year. When he could not get assurances on the future of the Big 12 — and its television rights — from the Longhorns during conference meetings in Kansas City earlier this month, he re-engaged in discussions with the Big Ten.

We realize that some of the schools that were asking us to stay were (at the same time) talking to not just one conference, but two or three," Osborne said — an indirect reference to Big 12 South power Texas, which may be soliciting entreaties from the Big Ten, the Pac-10 and possibly the Southeastern Conference.

Nebraska officially moves forward in switch from Big 12 to Big Ten - USATODAY.com

I agree. When I heard him on Sportscenter the other night say that DeLoss Dodd told Mack Brown and the other coaches that he had done everything he could to save the Big 12 I threw up in my mouth. This guy is a propaganda artist for Dodd, and Texas and Oklahoma are the Big 12. He must think everybody up north here is stupid enough to believe that Nebraska going to the Big 10 would be a detrimental blow to the conference. This guy needs to shut up, now.

"Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. "

So true, even though we have our heated rivalries in B10, we generally stick together as it relates to OOC.

Say what you want, but Chip has far more insider info than Jon.

Chip Brown is not an "insider" he is a UT administration puppet. Chip Brown was nothing before this, and will be nothing after this. Obviously UT wants this information out there and they chose Brown to be the spokesmen.

Disagree. I don't know what went on behind closed doors. I do know that Delaney is a shrewd power monger and widely known to be one of, it not the most powerful individuals in college sports. We will all rue the day the battle cry that nebraska u. saved the B10, begins. Let alone the day they beat us. Maybe then all of you who didn't grow up on the western side of Iowa will understand what those of us that did, have been talking about. Other than fball and gymnastics they bring nothing of value to the conference. Why Kansas, who has higher standards in every regard wasn't chosen, only Delaney knows. Oh yeah, It's all about the money. I remember now.

Disagree. I don't know what went on behind closed doors. I do know that Delaney is a shrewd power monger and widely known to be one of, it not the most powerful individuals in college sports. We will all rue the day the battle cry that nebraska u. saved the B10, begins. Let alone the day they beat us. Maybe then all of you who didn't grow up on the western side of Iowa will understand what those of us that did, have been talking about. Other than fball and gymnastics they bring nothing of value to the conference. Why Kansas, who has higher standards in every regard wasn't chosen, only Delaney knows. Oh yeah, It's all about the money. I remember now.

First you say that NE brings nothing of value to the conference and then you turn right around in the last sentence and say it's all about the money. It can't be both.

And please, please, tell me that you just aren't realizing that it's all about the money. My friend, it's been about the money since the invention of television.

Say what you want, but Chip has far more insider info than Jon.

I won't argue this at all and I led off by saying the guy is in tight. I have exactly the level of relationships that I want to have with folks in IC; respectful and positive. They know I love the Hawks (which is why I am allowed on the I-Club emcee circuit) but they know I run an opinion based website.

But as long as they aren't performing at Lickliter levels and ppl aren't stealing dvd's things will be just fine ;)

"Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. "

So true, even though we have our heated rivalries in B10, we generally stick together as it relates to OOC.

I agree. Great stuff! Go big ten (and welcome Nebraska)!!!

Latest posts