Miller: Iowa's Running Back Challenge

I would agree. Weisman is one key to success, but the main key in my opinion is speed and creativity. I firmly believe that as long as Iowa lives and dies with the traditional offense that they run, they will continue to fall behind all programs. It is clear that the national trend it to the spread offense and that most programs are making that move to remain competitive. Does this staff pay attention to what is trending? I don't understand.

I would agree. Weisman is one key to success, but the main key in my opinion is speed and creativity. I firmly believe that as long as Iowa lives and dies with the traditional offense that they run, they will continue to fall behind all programs. It is clear that the national trend it to the spread offense and that most programs are making that move to remain competitive. Does this staff pay attention to what is trending? I don't understand.

Which programs are they falling behind? From what I see it is schools like Indiana and Northwestern that are resorting to gimmick offenses because they do not have the players to run a pro style. Last night in the Sugar Bowl we seen 2 pretty good teams and neither of them were running much of a spread offense, in fact Alabama is about as conventional as they come.

it really made me sad to see us running Mark on those long drawn out running plays against a much faster defense. just putting him in a position to fail IMO. he certainly has a place on the team though. i'd love to see how we could use him and Canzeri in the backfield together.

it really made me sad to see us running Mark on those long drawn out running plays against a much faster defense. just putting him in a position to fail IMO. he certainly has a place on the team though. i'd love to see how we could use him and Canzeri in the backfield together.

This is what I would like to see as well, is our running game THAT reliant on a lead blocker where we could not have 2 tailbacks in at the same time? I know Iowa has better options at fullback than Weisman but does that mean he cannot throw a block at all?

Part of the problem I see with the running game is if you scout the offense good enough you know when Iowa has Weisman in that they are probably going to run in between the tackles and he cannot beat you on the outside whereas if Canzeri is out there it is the exact opposite. So if I am the D coordinator I am telling my defense to simply watch who is out there at running back to know what is coming if Iowa runs the ball. If Iowa lined both of them in the same backfield then it would screw me up and I would have no idea what they are running at me and that is when your talented offensive line can take over.

Do I really need to point out which programs we are falling behind? Secondly, where in my first post is the term gimmick. Take a look at the style of offense that is being played in the Championship game Monday night. Look at what has been being played in 99% of the BCS bowl games. Last night's game was the exception, not the rule. Actually, I think both teams ran more spread last night than coming out from under center, I could be wrong. I would even go so far as to say that the style of play in the NFL is even trending to the spread offense. It is time Iowa come out of the dark ages and catch up with the rest of the country. Correct me again if I am wrong, but what is Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Michigan State running 99% of the time. Are we ahead of these programs and don't tell me that since we did beat Michigan and Nebraska this year that we are. We are not.

Last edited:
Iowa's backfield has so many options that I understand it is difficult to figure out exactly how to use them most effectively. But that what GD is paid handsomely to do, and it doesn't seem that he is getting it, at all.

Each back has a specific skill set and the coaches keep asking them to do things outside their skill set, ie Weisman outside, Canzeri up the middle, etc. Weisman and Canzeri need to be on the field together so that the running game isn't so predictable.

Leshun Daniels needs way more carries and Bullock needs to go to the receiver corps.

There you go GD, take it and run with it.

Do I really need to point out which programs we are falling behind? Secondly, where in my first post is the term gimmick. Take a look at the style of offense that is being played in the Championship game Monday night. Look at what has been being played in 99% of the BCS bowl games. Last night's game was the exception, not the rule. Actually, I think both teams ran more spread last night than coming out from under center, I could be wrong. I would even go so far as to say that the style of play in the NFL is even trending to the spread offense. It is time Iowa come out of the dark ages and catch up with the rest of the country. Correct me again if I am wrong, but what is Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Michigan State running 99% of the time. Are we ahead of these programs and don't tell me that since we did beat Michigan and Nebraska this year that we are. We are not.

We aren't gonna run the spread.

Oklahoma does run a few variations of the spread, we seen some of that last night. Ohio State probably has one of the best spread offenses around, along with Oregon and Baylor. But you are not going to change the existing coaching staff and turn it into a spread offense and then you are recruiting different players. You don't see the Braxton Miller types coming to Iowa, nor are they getting fast wideouts. You need a ton of speed in order to run the spread successfully and speed is what is very difficult to recruit at Iowa.

Your eyes deceive you, or you don't know offenses. In BCS-Stanford,MSU, Alabama run almost identical schemes as Iowa... Just better at it lately. I have no idea what CFla and Baylor run. On a typical Saturday I wouldn't look for that game on a regional fox station, and didn't waste time with it Jan1.

Other notable teams with nearly identical offensive schemes....Georgia, LSU, Wisconsin .... Even NDSU in 1aa is balanced and pro style.

I will lay this out the best I can.
Then I shall never speak of it again, no more posts with hidden meanings.
I said earlier in the year there are no #1's at skill positions. You have to run what you brung.
Ok proved my point last night. They would have done the same thing to Iowa.
So the question becomes how do you win against the Stanfords/Msu's and the Oregon/ok's?
Speed works on some and power on the other. It is true for rb's, lb's, te's, de's. You need options. You dont have to bulk up and wait for a kid to be a jr, before he plays. You need for them to understand game plans and plays.
Now you will get some rare ones who can play both schemes and that is good, but even bama with its choice of recruits could not field enough of those.
The way I suggest is better for overall team health and it keeps them fresh. It also allows you to go against Msu one week and jnw the next. It increases your odds across the board.

Iowa's backfield has so many options that I understand it is difficult to figure out exactly how to use them most effectively. But that what GD is paid handsomely to do, and it doesn't seem that he is getting it, at all.

Each back has a specific skill set and the coaches keep asking them to do things outside their skill set, ie Weisman outside, Canzeri up the middle, etc. Weisman and Canzeri need to be on the field together so that the running game isn't so predictable.

Leshun Daniels needs way more carries and Bullock needs to go to the receiver corps.

There you go GD, take it and run with it.

I disagree. Darn near EVERYone on this board understands the different skill sets and makeup of our RBs and understands we need to utilize them properly. Pretty much the only person who does NOT (seem to) understand is GD.

Oklahoma does run a few variations of the spread, we seen some of that last night. Ohio State probably has one of the best spread offenses around, along with Oregon and Baylor. But you are not going to change the existing coaching staff and turn it into a spread offense and then you are recruiting different players. You don't see the Braxton Miller types coming to Iowa, nor are they getting fast wideouts. You need a ton of speed in order to run the spread successfully and speed is what is very difficult to recruit at Iowa.

Actually, we have incorporated certain spread elements at times. The problem, IMO, is that GD seems to think he doesn't have the pieces. Personally, I think we have the guys to run whatever KF wants. Buut KF only dictates the style of play, not the game plans, plays, etc.

Good article Jon and I couldn't agree more. Been thinking it for a while. Our top3 RBs are all great Hawks but please no more outside running for MW. I really hope Daniels really shines and takes hold of starting role. Hopefully incoming FR are better options than current stable, grasp the O early, pass block, etc.

Actually, we have incorporated certain spread elements at times. The problem, IMO, is that GD seems to think he doesn't have the pieces. Personally, I think we have the guys to run whatever KF wants. Buut KF only dictates the style of play, not the game plans, plays, etc.

True, but I think the best spread offenses is when you have a mobile QB that can take off and get chunks of yards when nobody is open. It is entirely different blocking/technique for the lineman. Iowa is recruiting the wrong personnel if they want to change over to a spread offense. Plus I don't think you have the right coaches.

A pro style offense can win ball games. I called the spread a "gimmick" earlier because you see teams switching over to this style of offense when they do not have the size and strength to compete as a Pro. They can't beat you playing straight up football so they have to improvise, but if you cannot, at least, get a mobile QB then it does not effective.

Weisman and Bullock are god backs but not good enough against really good teams. Canzeri is better but obviously had ball control issues and is it an everydown back. Hopefully Daniels progresses and takes over the position. That would be ideal.

Also, it's not the offense it's the players. What do good teams have in common? Good players, not schemes. If Iowa had Gordon and White in the backfield an Abrederis at WR think how much better they would be.

Latest posts