Miller: Iowa's Running Back Challenge

NCHawker, while I understand the logic you're using, I just can't buy it. That would mean that KF and GD didn't even have the stretch zone play in the game plan, but that JR audibled to it despite it not being in the game plan.

Everyone, including me, assumes that those plays were called from the sideline. Anyone wondered if maybe the QB made that call at the LOS? Seems a bit more plausible than saying the coaches made such ridiculous calls.

Great question. I think the frequency in which those types of plays are called with Weisman involve shows that it's called in from the sideline.

sorry guys, I wasn't clear, I was thiking of one particular pitch to Weisman as he ran left and got ate up.

not to digress too far here, but Iowa's OLine isn't as great as so many think. They were pretty average. Just look how well Iowa ran the ball (regardless of who was carrying the rock) against better defenses this last year.

We make way too much of Iowa's OLine in my opinion.

I'm not sure I'd call the offensive line great, but I'd say they are pretty damn good and probably Number 4 as far as productivity in the B10. When a group gives up 12 sacks, half of which were coverage sacks, you know damn well they are pretty good at protecting the QB. Now you factor in you don't have a running back or receiver in the top 7 or 8 at running or receiving, you may want to ask yourself a few questions. Agreeing with another poster here, how many yards does a Carlos Hyde / Melvin Gordon get behind Iowa's line? 300 to 400 more is my guess. Is our problem with the offensive line or at the skill positions? I think it's more the skill positions at this juncture and would say to most, that at this level...running backs need to be able to create on their own, and make cuts that maximize the yardage gained. Here's an example...in the NC game, I watched Tre Mason take a hand off that was going off tackle to the left. FSU had penetration to the left and he immediately cut right, used speed to get the edge around the right end and gained 25 yards on a play that was designed to go left. There was no doubt, he made 25 yards on his own essentially using vision, speed, and ability. Where did you see anything remotely like that happen this year? His blockers need to hold a block for about 1.2 seconds...on the stretch to Weisman, they better create a seam somewhere around the 2.5 second mark. That's my point.

Our running backs, other than maybe Canzeri, aren't that kind of playmakers. I'm not saying we need Tre Mason, as he's special, but I'm saying we need guys that can help the offensive line and put pressure on the defense. We shouldn't have to dominate a team up front all the time to have a 100 yard rusher.

I'm not sure I'd call the offensive line great, but I'd say they are pretty damn good and probably Number 4 as far as productivity in the B10. When a group gives up 12 sacks, half of which were coverage sacks, you know damn well they are pretty good at protecting the QB. Now you factor in you don't have a running back or receiver in the top 7 or 8 at running or receiving, you may want to ask yourself a few questions. Agreeing with another poster here, how many yards does a Carlos Hyde / Melvin Gordon get behind Iowa's line? 300 to 400 more is my guess. Is our problem with the offensive line or at the skill positions? I think it's more the skill positions at this juncture and would say to most, that at this level...running backs need to be able to create on their own, and make cuts that maximize the yardage gained. Here's an example...in the NC game, I watched Tre Mason take a hand off that was going off tackle to the left. FSU had penetration to the left and he immediately cut right, used speed to get the edge around the right end and gained 25 yards on a play that was designed to go left. There was no doubt, he made 25 yards on his own essentially using vision, speed, and ability. Where did you see anything remotely like that happen this year? His blockers need to hold a block for about 1.2 seconds...on the stretch to Weisman, they better create a seam somewhere around the 2.5 second mark. That's my point.

Our running backs, other than maybe Canzeri, aren't that kind of playmakers. I'm not saying we need Tre Mason, as he's special, but I'm saying we need guys that can help the offensive line and put pressure on the defense. We shouldn't have to dominate a team up front all the time to have a 100 yard rusher.

I essentially agree with this only adding that the interior line had some trouble run blocking against larger opponents. Their pass blocking was exceptional, especially considering Rudock had very little mobility late in the year.

Early in the season I still see Weisman having an essential role especially against opponents with sub-par defensive lines. An effort needs to be made to bring Canzeri up to full speed by the Big Ten season and get a better idea of what Daniels has to offer.

Which programs are they falling behind? From what I see it is schools like Indiana and Northwestern that are resorting to gimmick offenses because they do not have the players to run a pro style. Last night in the Sugar Bowl we seen 2 pretty good teams and neither of them were running much of a spread offense, in fact Alabama is about as conventional as they come.
Didn't you see the Outback Bowl, Jan.1? LSU had a 'punisher' at tailback. His name is Jeremy Hill. He has speed and quickness, too. LSU won the battles of the lines of scrimmage against Iowa, as well.

Last edited:
The difference between SEC and the rest of the country is O Line and D Line...makes everyone else's job easier. Wanna be a contender recruit studs on the line.

Latest posts