Miller: Iowa's Running Back Challenge

I asked Morehouse via Twitter if he was hearing any surprise names popping up out of bowl prep. Akrum Wadley was one of those names. He didn't provide any specifics, but it might be interesting to see if he plays into the RB mix as well. I watched a brief video. The kids was small in HS, but had great balance and field vision. Should be a fun year next year.

Here a link to Akrum's video.

2013 Hawkeye Commit - Akrum Wadley - YouTube

black.png

Wadley and Parker need to get some looks in the spring also. Speed is so needed on offense for Iowa...Both Langford of MSU and the speedy rb for NW started off as WRs. IF GD cannot lean on KF to put more explosive players on the field more of the time, he should quit.

Eddie P. and Dolph constantly complain during games about the stretch play with Weisman....but never hear Dolph challenge KF on the radio show....tempted to call in and put Dolph on the spot with KF right next to him...he and Eddie are right. Wish that Eddie would have a sit-down with KF and GD and give him his perspective...he knows offense.

I asked Morehouse via Twitter if he was hearing any surprise names popping up out of bowl prep. Akrum Wadley was one of those names. He didn't provide any specifics, but it might be interesting to see if he plays into the RB mix as well. I watched a brief video. The kids was small in HS, but had great balance and field vision. Should be a fun year next year.

Here a link to Akrum's video.

2013 Hawkeye Commit - Akrum Wadley - YouTube

black.png

I saw that coaches were high on him. He does look like he has great balance and vision and is really quick. He also seems to have good hands as well.

So what you are saying in your last two articles, is that our entire starting backfield needs to change? I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but pretty revolutionary stuff from someone as supportive of the program and KF as you have been. Essentially, our coaches have it wrong? I'm not sure you are right at QB, but wholeheartly agree on RB.

So what you are saying in your last two articles, is that our entire starting backfield needs to change? I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but pretty revolutionary stuff from someone as supportive of the program and KF as you have been. Essentially, our coaches have it wrong? I'm not sure you are right at QB, but wholeheartly agree on RB.

In no way did Jon suggest that a change should come under center in his article.

Do I really need to point out which programs we are falling behind? Secondly, where in my first post is the term gimmick. Take a look at the style of offense that is being played in the Championship game Monday night. Look at what has been being played in 99% of the BCS bowl games. Last night's game was the exception, not the rule. Actually, I think both teams ran more spread last night than coming out from under center, I could be wrong. I would even go so far as to say that the style of play in the NFL is even trending to the spread offense. It is time Iowa come out of the dark ages and catch up with the rest of the country. Correct me again if I am wrong, but what is Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Michigan State running 99% of the time. Are we ahead of these programs and don't tell me that since we did beat Michigan and Nebraska this year that we are. We are not.

Ask Michigan how that worked out for them... aka Rodrigez

OSU, Neb. & MSU run very little spread. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Ask Michigan how that worked out for them... aka Rodrigez

OSU, Neb. & MSU run very little spread. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

OSU still does traditional stuff, but they run their share of spread elements. Nebraska runs very little, and I must have missed where MSU started doing it.

OSU still does traditional stuff, but they run their share of spread elements. Nebraska runs very little, and I must have missed where MSU started doing it.

Yeah, agree... I think OSU runs some, but not 99% of time as was stated. :confused: It may have been the Iowa game but I remember some announcer saying that the traditional style was coming back... not sure how true that was, especially when you consider all of the mobile qb's we see now a days.

are you serious, or just not paying attention during the 'tough times' under KF. far from supportive.

Also, it's not the offense it's the players. What do good teams have in common? Good players, not schemes. If Iowa had Gordon and White in the backfield an Abrederis at WR think how much better they would be.

Agree. Upgrading RB talent level would be the best solution for immediately improving the offense. Current group of RB's give 100% and work hard but are simply average D1 RB's at best. Gordon and/or White most likely would have gained at least 1,500 yds behind current Hawks O-line.

Agree. Upgrading RB talent level would be the best solution for immediately improving the offense. Current group of RB's give 100% and work hard but are simply average D1 RB's at best. Gordon and/or White most likely would have gained at least 1,500 yds behind current Hawks O-line.

^^True. But Iowa's running scheme, which has hardly any counterplay action, makes it really hard when they play defenses like MSU and LSU with speed.

I mentioned back in October that I wondered if Weisman would want to play a lot at fullback next year to show his ability to the pros and help the team.

I think Iowa needs some revamp on their running plays with counter plays added in so other teams can't key and flow to first motion and more carries by Canzeri and Daniels would increase the YPC.

Do I really need to point out which programs we are falling behind? Secondly, where in my first post is the term gimmick. Take a look at the style of offense that is being played in the Championship game Monday night. Look at what has been being played in 99% of the BCS bowl games. Last night's game was the exception, not the rule. Actually, I think both teams ran more spread last night than coming out from under center, I could be wrong. I would even go so far as to say that the style of play in the NFL is even trending to the spread offense. It is time Iowa come out of the dark ages and catch up with the rest of the country. Correct me again if I am wrong, but what is Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Michigan State running 99% of the time. Are we ahead of these programs and don't tell me that since we did beat Michigan and Nebraska this year that we are. We are not.

I'm not sure if meant to imply that a spread offense consists in having the QB in shot gun. Spread offense is far more than simply running a shotgun formation.

Wrong! Not enough touches for either as Kirk would have Weisman as his #1 back! Trust factor you know!

This (usage of Weisman) is one of those rare cases where the message board consensus - and more than a few media folks including Jon -are probably right.

Unlike KOK's use of play variants out of the same set, which a lot of fans misinterpreted as "vanilla" or easy to prepare for, I can't find any logical football reason for Iowa's overuse of Weisman on the stretch play. It rarely worked (there were a *few* exceptions), and it doesn't appear to setup anything. We've got a few coaches and ex-players here is there *anything* we might be missing? I mean, the coaches aren't idiots - really - was there a method to the madness here that just didn't work out?

not to digress too far here, but Iowa's OLine isn't as great as so many think. They were pretty average. Just look how well Iowa ran the ball (regardless of who was carrying the rock) against better defenses this last year.

We make way too much of Iowa's OLine in my opinion.

I know the article was about running backs. But if there is a position where a MAJOR upgrade must take place it is wide receiver. It was downright embarrassing watching our wide receivers plodding along under a blanket LSU coverage. The only guy that got genuinely open we underthrew.

HERE is where I understand we have to play who we have - and that Iowa isn't likely to attract too many 5-star receivers. Still, when I think back to how Hayden Fry was always able to get guys like Billy Happel and Scott Helverson open, I know it can be done.

it really made me sad to see us running Mark on those long drawn out running plays against a much faster defense. just putting him in a position to fail IMO. he certainly has a place on the team though. i'd love to see how we could use him and Canzeri in the backfield together.

Everyone, including me, assumes that those plays were called from the sideline. Anyone wondered if maybe the QB made that call at the LOS? Seems a bit more plausible than saying the coaches made such ridiculous calls.

Latest posts