Miller: Gary Dolphin deserves better

Dolph is 60 something years old and spent over half his life in the media he should have known better. It is no different than assuming the mic is always hot.
the fact that he is 60’something years old means he should be given latitude because for people his age an older Kong was not stereotypical a black guy. It’s only with the PC’s moving target of what is considered racist that Kong is now a pejorative of a black guy.

I’ll bet Dolph has used King Kong previously for a black guy — and in the last 20’years of the word police movement. Takers?

I see the point. For me corruption and ineptitude run hand in hand. If someone wasn't inept they likely wouldn't need to resort to corruption. A competent and intelligent individual should be able to maneuver the windy road of life while avoiding the ditch.

I look for the root of corruption. If it isn't incompetence it almost always defaults back to plain old greed. Since there is no obvious signs of financial gain, I assume the root of Barta's corruption is just regular incompetence. That's how the math breaks down in my head.
good discussion.

I used to have my default set at incompetence but life experience has proven otherwise — and I’m talking about people in authority in any organization.

Ineptness doesn’t get you up the ladder in any organization unless there are corrupt people up the ladder that allow it.

Ineptness is the fallback for people who are corrupt. It’s better to be charged with being dumb than being corrupt.

ineptness means unskilled.

Corrupt has the idea of overlooking something or acting badly for your own benefit and at the expense of someone else.

Barta and the Leerfield corporatists do not have the jobs they have because they are inept at it.

good discussion.

I used to have my default set at incompetence but life experience has proven otherwise — and I’m talking about people in authority in any organization.

Ineptness doesn’t get you up the ladder in any organization unless there are corrupt people up the ladder that allow it.

Ineptness is the fallback for people who are corrupt. It’s better to be charged with being dumb than being corrupt.

ineptness means unskilled.

Corrupt has the idea of overlooking something or acting badly for your own benefit and at the expense of someone else.

Barta and the Leerfield corporatists do not have the jobs they have because they are inept at it.

Good rebuttal.

Funny you pop up on this after being largely absent during a nice BB run.

Regardless of how one feels about whether he did something wrong, it's not the world we live in. In re to racism, our current world is much better than the times before.

That said, he is a professional and knows the environment and the expectations.

I believe you live in NC. Both Iowa and NC at "At Will" States. An "at-will state," means that unless an employment contract details the duration of the employment relationship and/or under what circumstances an employee can be fired (for example, "good cause"), an employer can pretty much come up with any reason it wants to terminate an employee — even if the reason is for a bad cause or no cause at all.

Most of us on here are likely Republican's but not all. At will status is a Republican platform. Dolph knows that. He's a smart professional. The issue of whether it's wrong or not is separate from whether or not they can do it. His firing or keeping will not impact Iowa athletics funding much if anything at all. Iowa can do this whether we agree at all. If he's sues Iowa he is not likely to win.

I still doubt he didn't know the risk. After 3 issues in the past year, I really doubt he wasn't pushing things on part of it (likely the tickets). None of us really know directives he's been given on what he says. I would imagine there is contractual obligation or something in his review file that prohibits him from certain language.

I do feel for him to be an announcer to a degree during much of Fran's tenure as well as some of KFs. Fran has been inept at times and I do believe Dolph's bluntness did contribute to Fran making changes. He never should have called out a player in anyway that could have been heard when on the job except for a completely private situation. With a mic in the room, it's not private, button pushed or not. If he wasn't smart enough not to give tickets to Badger fans in that situation, then he's not smart. I doubt that.

Where we do disagree is the appropriateness of King Kong. In my opinion, if this or something similar hadn't been addressed before, then he should be informed of expectations and informed not to do it or something similar again.

We do not know what he has been advised prior. Exemption Six is the one in question and it would be debatable if pushed. With a simple request it would be denied. Beyond that it could be possible to disclose. It is amazing what you can get through FOIA. If it was a part of his personal file, it might be difficult. If it is a standard contract, then not so much.

Check it out media?

Whether or not media could get that info through FOIA is questionable. Here are the exemptions:
Exemption One: Classified national defense and foreign relations information.
Exemption Two: Internal agency personnel rules and practices.
Exemption Three: Information that is prohibited from disclosure by another federal law.
Exemption Four: Trade secrets and commercial or financial information obtained from a person that is privileged or confidential.
Exemption Five: Inter-agency or intra-agency memoranda or letters that are protected by legal privileges.
Exemption Six: Personnel, medical, financial, and similar files the disclosure of which would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.
Exemption Seven: Certain types of information compiled for law enforcement purposes.
Exemption Eight: Records that are contained in or related to examination, operating, or condition reports prepared by, on behalf of, or for the use of any agency responsible for the regulation or supervision of financial institutions.
Exemption Nine: Geological and geophysical information and data, including maps, concerning wells.

You and I disagree on the appropriateness. Going forward you position is not sustainable. I don't necessarily agree that he should be suspended or fired depending on facts we don't know and the media is not likely to press.

My guess is there is a running feud and Iowa is at At Will state, which though as someone who typically (almost always) votes R, I abhor in it's current form.

WTF?

I didn’t think of this as rebuttal like we were debating.

Just more like discussing life experience/day-by-day philosophy.

Yes it wasn't a debate. Rebuttal may have been an aggressive word for the tone, but I still lack a better word to use lol.

I am not a Hawkeye fan, nor ever been one. In fact I actually don’t like Dolph as an announcer. I am a Cyclone fan and have been for 50 years. But what Barta did to him is beyond ridiculous. Anyone that construes what he said as racist is beyond hyper sensitive. Someone just posted this world we live in is better than older days, and maybe that’s true or maybe it’s not. But all this political correctness BS is just that...BS.

If real Hawkeye fans don’t throw a tantrum over this action somethings wrong with you. Good for lol of you that have come out in support of him.

I am not a Hawkeye fan, nor ever been one. In fact I actually don’t like Dolph as an announcer. I am a Cyclone fan and have been for 50 years. But what Barta did to him is beyond ridiculous. Anyone that construes what he said as racist is beyond hyper sensitive. Someone just posted this world we live in is better than older days, and maybe that’s true or maybe it’s not. But all this political correctness BS is just that...BS.

If real Hawkeye fans don’t throw a tantrum over this action somethings wrong with you. Good for lol of you that have come out in support of him.
The problem is that every Hawkeye fan in existence could throw a temper tantrum and it won’t change a thing.

The problem is that every Hawkeye fan in existence could throw a temper tantrum and it won’t change a thing.
True. Not buying tickets and staying home is all they hear... They couldn't care less about online petitions and any of that stuff...

It's nice to hear an outside fan's take on this. Thank you and thanks for stopping by. Stop by more often.

Also, I also enjoy watching the Clones when they are on.

Absolutely agree. I appreciate Jon's passion and honesty. He should also look at some of David Swartz's drivel on this site, most definitely PC garbage.

You have to have some balance. I'm sure not all Iowa fans have the same opinions and feelings on different matters.

Thanks for the contribution. Civil discussion always welcomed.

Now please root hard for your Cyclones to win the Big 12. Iowa needs that resume topper.

Latest posts