Miller: Everybody's Talking

Exactly. Why are we consistently running the same base D with 3 LBs on the field trying to cover slot receivers all over the field with a bunch of inexperienced players and freshmen. The LB and CB depth was not optimal this year, but recruiting those positions also falls back on the coaching staff.

I'm gonna take a wild swing in the dark and say that when the coaching staff went through their "worst-case" scenarios for the entire season, that losing the entire starting linebacking corps to season-ending injuries by week six wasn't on the list.

As guys like Morris and Dibona develop and improve, no doubt their coverage skills will do the same.

Where we lay the blame?

Kirk Ferentz (he is the head coach so he gets the blame) flat out lost us the Wisconsin game and had multiple blown calls.

The full punt return when you have a returned who calls a fair catch 90% of the time is beyond excusable.

The lack of a hurry the f*** up and snap the ball before we get a replay called on us.

The clock management at the end.

If we win that game, who knows how the rest of the season plays out. You are sitting at 3-0 with Michigan State coming to town.

Poor execution lost us the Arizona game.

Poor coaching lost us the season.

Interesting. I consider Iowa leaving four points on the field in a game they lost by one to be a bigger issue.

However, if you were to say that Iowa should have gone for the kill after the Greenwood pick, I'd be in 100% agreement.

"Iowa had the chance to win the B10 outright and our coaching staff did not go for it. I was at that game in the sliver of Iowa fans and everyone wanted to go for the win, regardless of the outcome because at least the team would have tried. When was the last time Iowa had that chance to go for the win and an outright B10 title. When will the next opportunity happen. That decision not to go for it still makes me shake my head and wonder why KF let such an opportunity go"

This is a prime example of Kirk being conservative to a fault. You don't play for overtime in somebody else's house, especially if it's the shoe. And especially when you have the momentum like we did. We lost all of it when we decided to play for overtime. And yes I know that they did not want to risk a pick 6 like we were so accustomed to and it was a RS Fresh QB, but you just have to go for it in that situation instead of playing not to lose.

What is the reaction here if V-berg throws a pick-six in that situation? Do the masses who are critical of conservative play-calling change their tune and praise the coaching staff for being aggressive?

What is the reaction here if V-berg throws a pick-six in that situation? Do the masses who are critical of conservative play-calling change their tune and praise the coaching staff for being aggressive?

Yep. But if it goes for a TD we would be really happy and praise the aggressiveness. Fans get it both ways that's why being a fan is great.

Re: I'm sorry, RawHawk, but we DID play those patsies.

I was at Iowa during part of the time to which you refer. We did play schools just like those. Heck, if I am not mistaken we actually even played UNI between 1983-1987. We played schools like that ever year.

I will go back and look when I have more time and edit in what I see from back then.

I did the work for you, here's the list (minus ISU as we play them every year both under Hayden and Kirk):

1979 - OK (11-1), Neb (10-2)
1980 - Neb(10-3), AZ (5-6)
1981 - Neb (9-3), UCLA (7-4-1)
1982 - Neb (12-1), AZ (6-4-1)
1983 - Penn St (8-5) (this was the year with a 9 game conf schedule)
1984 - Penn St (6-5), Hawaii (7-4)
1985 - Drake (4-7), No Ill (4-7)
1986 - No. Ill (2-9), UTEP (4-8)
1987 - Tennessee (10-2-1), AZ (4-4-3), Kansas St (0-10-1)
1988 - Hawaii (9-3), Kansas St (0-11), Colorado (8-4)
1989 - Oregon (8-4), Tulsa (6-6)
1990 - Cincinatti (1-10), Miami (Fla) (10-2)

1999 - Neb (12-1), No Ill (5-6)
2000 - K-State (11-3), W. Mich (9-3), Neb (10-2)
2001 - Kent State (6-5), Miami (OH) (7-5)
2002 - Akron (4-8), Miami (OH) (7-5), Utah State (4-7)
2003 - Miami OH (13-1), SUNY-Buffalo (1-11), AZ St (5-7)
2004 - Kent St (5-6), AZ St (9-3)
2005 - Ball St (4-7), UNI (11-4)
2006 - Montana (12-2), Syracuse (4-8), No Ill (7-6)
2007 - No Ill (2-10), Syracuse (2-10), W Mich (5-7)
2008 - Maine (8-5), Fla Int'l (5-7), Pitt (9-4)
2009 - UNI (7-4), AZ (8-5), Ark St (4-8)
2010 - E Ill (3-9), AZ (7-4), Ball St (4-8)

In my opinion, it's no contest. In Hayden's 1st 12 years, he played only 8 non-BSC conference teams and 17 BCS conference teams; he was 7-10 against the BSC conference teams. In Kirk's 1st 12, he's played only 10 BSC conference teams and 22 non-BCS conference teams; he is 4-6 against BSC non-con opponents. In addition, Fry only played 1 non Division 1 team (Drake). Kirk has played 5 of them. Finally, the winning % of the non-con opponents combined is greater under Hayden than Kirk.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rawkhawk73.

I was remembering Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Drake and UTEP, as I was on campus for the 1983-1986 seasons. I believe there was one less non-conf. game back then than there is now, so with ISU on the schedule and maybe one other name program there was only a chance for one patsy back then per year, aside from ISU:)

no one expected Iowa to be in that game. Had V thrown a pick 6, everyone would still be talking about how he almost led us to the upset of the decade.

we werent conservative that whole game, we threw the ball a lot. thats why we had a chance to win.

No, JC was not a runner.

Tate and JC were pure shotgun spread guys. But Kirk has said publicly that if he had someone like a Pryor or a Robinson, he'd play to that. But, that's not likely going to happen

What are you talking about? That already has happened. AJ Derby was recruited by Florida (and half of the rest of college football) for a reason. We'll see if KF was telling the truth or if he was lying again. If AJ Derby is played in a style of Offense that fits his talents then we'll know KF was telling the truth. However, if his round peg is forced into a square hole then we'll know KF is more devoted to being stubborn than he is to winning football games.

People really need to realize the fact that not another school outside ohio st has more big ten wins then iowa over the last 10 years. Great Post

Sure this is great but WHAT DOES IOWA HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT?

wins are wins but if you WIN NOTHING the wins mean NOTHING

Re: I'm sorry, RawHawk, but we DID play those patsies.

I did the work for you, here's the list (minus ISU as we play them every year both under Hayden and Kirk):

1979 - OK (11-1), Neb (10-2)
1980 - Neb(10-3), AZ (5-6)
1981 - Neb (9-3), UCLA (7-4-1)
1982 - Neb (12-1), AZ (6-4-1)
1983 - Penn St (8-5) (this was the year with a 9 game conf schedule)
1984 - Penn St (6-5), Hawaii (7-4)
1985 - Drake (4-7), No Ill (4-7)
1986 - No. Ill (2-9), UTEP (4-8)
1987 - Tennessee (10-2-1), AZ (4-4-3), Kansas St (0-10-1)
1988 - Hawaii (9-3), Kansas St (0-11), Colorado (8-4)
1989 - Oregon (8-4), Tulsa (6-6)
1990 - Cincinatti (1-10), Miami (Fla) (10-2)

1999 - Neb (12-1), No Ill (5-6)
2000 - K-State (11-3), W. Mich (9-3), Neb (10-2)
2001 - Kent State (6-5), Miami (OH) (7-5)
2002 - Akron (4-8), Miami (OH) (7-5), Utah State (4-7)
2003 - Miami OH (13-1), SUNY-Buffalo (1-11), AZ St (5-7)
2004 - Kent St (5-6), AZ St (9-3)
2005 - Ball St (4-7), UNI (11-4)
2006 - Montana (12-2), Syracuse (4-8), No Ill (7-6)
2007 - No Ill (2-10), Syracuse (2-10), W Mich (5-7)
2008 - Maine (8-5), Fla Int'l (5-7), Pitt (9-4)
2009 - UNI (7-4), AZ (8-5), Ark St (4-8)
2010 - E Ill (3-9), AZ (7-4), Ball St (4-8)

In my opinion, it's no contest. In Hayden's 1st 12 years, he played only 8 non-BSC conference teams and 17 BCS conference teams; he was 7-10 against the BSC conference teams. In Kirk's 1st 12, he's played only 10 BSC conference teams and 22 non-BCS conference teams; he is 4-6 against BSC non-con opponents. In addition, Fry only played 1 non Division 1 team (Drake). Kirk has played 5 of them. Finally, the winning % of the non-con opponents combined is greater under Hayden than Kirk.

It is not even close. Even more to consider is under KF how many of the sub .500 teams - UNI, Ark State, No Ill, Syracuse or otherwise lower tier programs that we have struggled with. We always excuse our early poor performances but its symptomatic of not preparing and playing to beat the teams you are supposed to beat.

Hayden wasn't perfect but he played tougher opponents and with more attitude. In their prime, with Hayden on one sideline and KF on the other side....which side would you put your money on? My money says a Hayden coached team would routinely kick KF coached teams

Last edited:
As far as I was able to tell, I was the only person that wrote a column about keeping Robinson in the game too long against Michigan State, and what could come from that first concussion, and I am pretty confident Kirk read it and didn't care for it.
JonDMiller said:
Serious question: What leads you to believe Kirk read your column about Robinson's 1st concussion? Do you think Kirk or any other coaches on the Iowa staff read message boards?

I always wondered about this with Kirk always kind of being anti-technology and grasping about what to call message boards anytime he references them. He always says: "chatboards or messagerooms or whatever you call them" as if he would not know where to begin to look if he wanted to look at the sites. Maybe this is just Ferentz feigning disinterest?

As far as I was able to tell, I was the only person that wrote a column about keeping Robinson in the game too long against Michigan State, and what could come from that first concussion, and I am pretty confident Kirk read it and didn't care for it.
JonDMiller said:
Serious question: What leads you to believe Kirk read your column about Robinson's 1st concussion? Do you think Kirk or any other coaches on the Iowa staff read message boards?

I always wondered about this with Kirk always kind of being anti-technology and grasping about what to call message boards anytime he references them. He always says: "chatboards or messagerooms or whatever you call them" as if he would not know where to begin to look if he wanted to look at the sites. Maybe this is just Ferentz feigning disinterest?

I've often wondered the same thing - because as much as he claims to not know anything about them he always seems to know what they are saying. Either he is reading them himself or he has someone doing it for him.

Before his son Brian took a coaching gig, KF used to have him print off what was being said out in "cyberspace" so he could read it and know what was being said.

Hayden scratched where it itched. KOK wants everyone to know that he knows alot of plays so he doesn't always stay with what works. It also takes him way too long to make up his mind. Oregon and Oklahoma's offenses run twice as many plays as we do. Consequently have twice as many opportunities to score.

Hayden scratched where it itched. KOK wants everyone to know that he knows alot of plays so he doesn't always stay with what works. It also takes him way too long to make up his mind. Oregon and Oklahoma's offenses run twice as many plays as we do. Consequently have twice as many opportunities to score.

:confused: I've read menus that are bigger than the Iowa playbook. (Over-generalizing here)

Jon, our offense had underperformed, badly in many seasons, for Kirk's entire tenure here. The serial substandard performance of the offense magnifies every little defensive or special teams faux pas. I don't love the bend-and-then-break defense but the stats say it works for the most part.

The offense needs to improve. It has to improve. And it can improve. That is why we are so frustrated. It's just an obvious deficiency that is holding back the program from achieving its potential. It's not just the lack of creativity either. It's the shoddy clock management, the clueless two minute drill, the tardy play relays to the QB. The offense is the habitual weak link. It has to be fixed. We can survive getting gutted on D against Northwestern so long as we put up points. Sometimes you just have to outscore your opponent. Our offense almost always has the horses to do just that but often fails to get it done.

O'Keefe has to change or he has to go. Now. Period. This program won't achieve its potential otherwise.

1 million times agree with everything said, except the last sentence! Just ad KF needs to change as well. As frustrated as I get with the play calling of KOK, he's runs it the KF wants it run, now I'm not calling for KF to leave, but he needs to be willing to change to keep up with the rest of college football, what worked 6 years ago is not working now....

Yep. But if it goes for a TD we would be really happy and praise the aggressiveness. Fans get it both ways that's why being a fan is great.

no one expected Iowa to be in that game. Had V thrown a pick 6, everyone would still be talking about how he almost led us to the upset of the decade.

we werent conservative that whole game, we threw the ball a lot. thats why we had a chance to win.

AAAAAnnnd....
We would have been no worse off than the way it ended.

The reason we were in that game was that we were playing to win it, playing from 14 down in the 4th qtr to tie it.

It was when we stopped playing to win and started to play to NOT LOSE that the game was lost.
The coach flinched when he started to treat the 2009 O$U game the way he treats every other game.
So, the answer to your query appears to be No, Shada.

I think the best decade argument is bunk. While Iowa has certainly had some diamonds in the rough having a few lead pipe locks wouldn't be bad either. Iowa playing style does cost them some shots at flashy recruits. Kirk job is not easy , but I think we will see changes this next year.

I think the best decade argument is bunk. While Iowa has certainly had some diamonds in the rough having a few lead pipe locks wouldn't be bad either. Iowa playing style does cost them some shots at flashy recruits. Kirk job is not easy , but I think we will see changes this next year.

What kind of crack are you smoking dude. They MIGHT change kick and punt coverages at best.

Latest posts