Miller: Everybody's Talking

I guess I just don't understand the "fire X" crowd. Seriously, this season based on that "crowd," Mack Brown, Urban Myer, Nick Saban, Dave Wandstadt, Paul Johnson, Richt, Paterno, Ferentz, and Mike Riley could/should all be fired right along with Randy Shannon. Watch Miami, I am guessing that 3 years from now they will still be a middle-upper ACC team that is irrelevant on the national scene and be looking to replace their coach again.

I totally agree here Jon. This staff has to be considered one of the best, if not the best at developing kids, but all of that work they've put in (training, teaching, developing) is a complete waste if you can't manage it the right way on game days. This staff gets out-coached on more game days than it does not. And to not be able to manage a game clock properly? C'mon! There's no excuse for that. For how much Kirk's salary is, that is not acceptable.

This Again X 10000

Perfect

First, I want to make sure that I do not get lumped into the group that is calling for Ferentz to be replaced. I'm not. I believe a person can question decisions and philosophy of a coaching staff without requiring that the coach be removed.

Second, you brought up some pretty heavy hitters in today's college football world. I want to make sure everyone understands a few things they may not know:

1. Iowa has more athletic department revenues than Nebraska, Oklahoma and USC and on par with Notre Dame and LSU.

2. Iowa has more players on NFL rosters than Oklahoma, Nebraska, Alabama, and Auburn and only 1 less than Florida.

3. In fact, Iowa ranks 10th in the total number of players on NFL rosters. Of those 10, 7 of them have won BCS National Titles in the last decade. Only Iowa, Georgia and Cal have not.

The point is, we've caught up to the rest of the "blue bloods" of college football in terms of money, players, facilities and overall exposure. What we have to show for it are 7 seasons of 5 losses or more (Hayden only had 3 such seasons hist 1st 12 years and he was coming into a program with a 20 year stretch of losing), 2 shared conference championships, 1 BSC bowl win and 2 seasons where our team lay down and quit.

You would think that with the amount of money our athletic department brings in, the number of players we send to the NFL, the quality facilities and the amount of exposure our program gets that we would have more to show for it. As I mentioned before, the only other explanation is our coaching staff.

These are contradictory statements. In the three weeks that you've been posting (you started after the NW game), you've implied that you want changes without actually saying it, and you're doing it again here.

Stop beating around the bush.

I guess I just don't understand the "fire X" crowd. Seriously, this season based on that "crowd," Mack Brown, Urban Myer, Nick Saban, Dave Wandstadt, Paul Johnson, Richt, Paterno, Ferentz, and Mike Riley could/should all be fired right along with Randy Shannon. Watch Miami, I am guessing that 3 years from now they will still be a middle-upper ACC team that is irrelevant on the national scene and be looking to replace their coach again.

Show me one post since Saturday evening where someone suggested that Ferentz be relieved of his duties.

You'll be searching for a while.

Show me one post since Saturday evening where someone suggested that Ferentz be relieved of his duties.

You'll be searching for a while.

You're right, it's just O'Keefe that people want canned. O'Keefe runs the offense the way Kirk wants it run, and the new OC would run the offense the way Kirk wants it run.

A point about Devaney: he was the Bugeaters second choice. The guy they wanted declined, went to Texas A&M, and had a losing record over a few seasons. Now just think how one coaching hire changed everything. The really bad thing about college football is that the rich do get richer and the poor stay poor for the most part. It's a damn aristocracy.

I'd like to see a list of the top 10-15 paid coaches in college football and their winning percentages over a certain period of time. Maybe if I find the time (motivation) I'll generate one of those here someday soon.

You're right, it's just O'Keefe that people want canned. O'Keefe runs the offense the way Kirk wants it run, and the new OC would run the offense the way Kirk wants it run.

This. KOK is nothing more than an extension of Kirk Ferentz' philosophy. I will never understand how some people can't put that puzzle together.

DING DING DING

Oregon is where they are because Phil Knight is throwing money at that program ala Dan Snyder/Steinbrenner.

Also, look at the number of players from California on the Oregon roster. All that NIKE money combined with their proximity to Cali makes it real easy to build a football program.

These are contradictory statements. In the three weeks that you've been posting (you started after the NW game), you've implied that you want changes without actually saying it, and you're doing it again here.

Stop beating around the bush.

The three weeks I've been posting??? Dude, I've been posting since day 1 that this site started and posted when Jon was at HawkeyeReport, so you apparently don't pay attention. A person doesn't have to have 3,000 posts to be "relevant".

Second, how are they contradictory. I'm on record praising the staff for player development, but have said multiple times that the staff is responsible for the on-field results based on their strict adherence to schemes regardless of opponent and their inability to consistently and effectively manage gameday situations (clock management, end of halves, etc). I can openly question those decisions without wanting them fired.

This. KOK is nothing more than an extension of Kirk Ferentz' philosophy. I will never understand how some people can't put that puzzle together.

It took me awhile as well. Nobody wants to say that they want Kirk fired, so they pile on the OC. It's the "backup QB is better than the starter" syndrome in reverse.

While I don't think O'keefe has to go you're interpretation there isn't necessarily correct. Ferentz doesn't micromanage his coordinators. O'Keefe has carte blanche to make his own calls. I have always been under the impression that Ferentz has veto power but rarely if ever inputs on what he wants called in a given situation. This may be a pipe dream but if O'Keefe were to step aside or pushed out the name that keeps popping into my head is Philbin. He doesn't call the plays in Green Bay and he could here. I am sure it would be less pay, but he does have history here and would have more control. I am sure that it doesn't matter and that O'Keefe is secure and this is silly mindless speculation.

Last edited:

Aaannddd it's obviously not working, thus the reason for so many people calling for at least some type of change. Plain & simple, Iowa's offense has sucked balls (except for a couple of seasons) since Kirk has been here. Is anybody going to argue against that? It's an obvious hindrance to the program, but year after year we keeping hearing "it's an execution problem" and it's starting to get real ******* old.

So you don't agree that a shake-up of our offensive strategy (and possibly our OC) will invigorate our obviously moribund attack?
Why accept the status quo, boat?

The three weeks I've been posting??? Dude, I've been posting since day 1 that this site started and posted when Jon was at HawkeyeReport, so you apparently don't pay attention. A person doesn't have to have 3,000 posts to be "relevant".

Second, how are they contradictory. I'm on record praising the staff for player development, but have said multiple times that the staff is responsible for the on-field results based on their strict adherence to schemes regardless of opponent and their inability to consistently and effectively manage gameday situations (clock management, end of halves, etc). I can openly question those decisions without wanting them fired.

I'm sorry, I should have phrased as that you've been posting a lot more over the last three weeks, and primarily to complain.

I go the other way as far as schemes go - I think it's a matter of personnel. Last year, Iowa had the experience in the defensive backfield to make the proper defensive adjustments. What I mean by that is that maybe - just maybe - players like Edds and Angerer (both seniors) were better able to do something different than the freshmen that Iowa was running out there by necessity this year.

I'm guessing that if the entire linebacking corps hadn't been hurt, that we'd have seen some of the defensive adjustments that some here claim Iowa never makes.

Last edited:
Aaannddd it's obviously not working, thus the reason for so many people calling for at least some type of change. Plain & simple, Iowa's offense has sucked balls (except for a couple of seasons) since Kirk has been here. Is anybody going to argue against that? It's an obvious hindrance to the program, but year after year we keeping hearing "it's an execution problem" and it's starting to get real ******* old.

And since when has Iowa depended on the offense to win games? What makes people think that the offense will be any different under a different OC?

So you don't agree that a shake-up of our offensive strategy (and possibly our OC) will invigorate our obviously moribund attack?
Why accept the status quo, boat?

Because the status quo got on OB domination and a Doak Walker award winner in the last 2 years. I am not gonna jump ship after one highly disappointing season. The same way all I here on the radio here is about Iowa being too "predictable" on defense and needing to blitz more. Last year that "predictable" defense beat the crap out of teams and made GT look like a little league option team. KF is right, it comes down to execution. When it is there the scheme is great, when it isn't the scheme is blamed. Iowa will never be a team that beats people with flash, but when you rely on fundamentals, it really hurts when you don't execute those fundamentals as we saw a few times this year.

Also, it sucks but the reality is that Iowa will always be a few plays or a few drives between a 7-5 team or worse and a 10-2 team or better. That is the nature of the beast when you play a style that keeps everything close. The difference is that Iowa did not execute when it counted this year the way that they did most of last year.

And since when has Iowa depended on the offense to win games? What makes people think that the offense will be any different under a different OC?

Okay. So let's keep going at it the way we always have because that's obviously working so well. While we keep depending on our defense to win every game. That worked out real well this year didn't it? Do you not agree that something has to be done to change up our offense? 218 yards against Minnesota. 218 freakin' yards of total offense!!!

Okay. So let's keep going at it the way we always have because that's obviously working so well. While we keep depending on our defense to win every game. That worked out real well this year didn't it? Do you not agree that something has to be done to change up our offense? 218 yards against Minnesota. 218 freakin' yards of total offense!!!

Look dude, I'm just as frustrated by this season as everyone else is. I hated watching that movie end the same way just as much as everyone else did.

Iowa depended on their defense to win games last year, and that worked out pretty well, didn't it? How many times did the defense make adjustments during the game or at halftime to allow the offense a chance to get Iowa back in the game?

You folks keep saying "something needs to be done" without saying what "it" is. You want O'Keefe fired, but don't want to say that any new OC is going to run the offense the exact same way.

Iowa will get a new offense when Iowa gets a new head coach. That's the way it is.

Jon, I think your post was right on the money. I posted a while back about some needing a history lesson and caught an unbelievable bunch of crap. Apparently, some folks don't think there is anything to be learned from history. They have much to learn!

Latest posts