Miller: Everybody's Talking

Okay. So let's keep going at it the way we always have because that's obviously working so well. While we keep depending on our defense to win every game. That worked out real well this year didn't it? Do you not agree that something has to be done to change up our offense? 218 yards against Minnesota. 218 freakin' yards of total offense!!!

That oughta shut up anybody who thinks the offense doesn't have serious structural deficiencies.

The offensive philosophy and situational play calling does need to change. When the B10 expands next year, it will be even more difficult to win the B10 Championship and there will be no 'Co-Champs' anymore. There have been too many instances that the offense playcalling and philosophy has cost us games. I'll point out two from the 2009 season, one season that was successful.

In the Northwestern game, Iowa had the ball inside their own 10. KOK calls a naked bootleg to the right side with one of the B10's best DEs on that side. That leaves Stanzi one on one against Wooten in our own endzone. That play call does not make any sense at that time and place on the field. Real puzzling why KOK would call that play in that situation. But the playcalling over the past few years has been puzzling and people have notice it.

In the OSU game in 09, Iowa received the ball around the Iowa 35 with I believe 1:40 left on the clock. Iowa had come back from 14 down in the 4th quarter and had mommentum. Instead of going for the with in the 4th with the mommentum Iowa had, the coaching staff decided to take the game into OT. This killed our mommentum and I believe was a major let down on the team. I think either DJK or McNutt stated later the players wanted to go for the win but the coaching staff decided against it.

Iowa had the chance to win the B10 outright and our coaching staff did not go for it. I was at that game in the sliver of Iowa fans and everyone wanted to go for the win, regardless of the outcome because at least the team would have tried. When was the last time Iowa had that chance to go for the win and an outright B10 title. When will the next opportunity happen. That decision not to go for it still makes me shake my head and wonder why KF let such an opportunity go.

I'm not asking for pink slips, but the offense philosophy needs to change to get to the next level.

Things evolve Jon, things change.

Iowa isn't the same Iowa they were in the late 90's.

We've recruited better athletes, and have better and bigger facilities.

I'm not saying we should expect BT championships evey year, but fans have a right to be upset about 7-5 seasons, considering what we had back.

Ferentz gets his a$$ kissed when its deserved. With his salary, people definitely have something to gripe about IMHO.

I really hope this entire off season we don't have to read paragraph after paragraph from you defending everything Iowa football.

In the Northwestern game, Iowa had the ball inside their own 10. KOK calls a naked bootleg to the right side with one of the B10's best DEs on that side. That leaves Stanzi one on one against Wooten in our own endzone.

I've fought this one on numerous occasions...Stanzi wasn't 1 on 1 with Wootten. He had both Morse and Reisner (I think, at any rate, a FB and a TE) to the boot side blocking Wootten and both released for some reason. I can't imagine you'd want to receivers running to the flat on that play, so someone blew that one.

In the OSU game in 09, Iowa received the ball around the Iowa 35 with I believe 1:40 left on the clock. Iowa had come back from 14 down in the 4th quarter and had mommentum. Instead of going for the with in the 4th with the mommentum Iowa had, the coaching staff decided to take the game into OT. This killed our mommentum and I believe was a major let down on the team. I think either DJK or McNutt stated later the players wanted to go for the win but the coaching staff decided against it.

Agree 100%. That was a chicken **** decision in that situation.

You're right, it's just O'Keefe that people want canned. O'Keefe runs the offense the way Kirk wants it run, and the new OC would run the offense the way Kirk wants it run.

This is the smartest post that I have ever seen and I just do not get how people don't understand this.

It's like they just started watching Iowa football this past September.

Kenny is not going anywhere, he is Kirk's best buddy. As long as KF is here, KOK will be as well. But beyond that, it wouldn't matter if Bill Walsh was the OC, the same offense is going to continue to be run.

And it is exactly the same thing on defense. Without Norm, they ran EXACTLY the same scheme for the entire season.

Because the status quo got on OB domination and a Doak Walker award winner in the last 2 years. I am not gonna jump ship after one highly disappointing season. The same way all I here on the radio here is about Iowa being too "predictable" on defense and needing to blitz more. Last year that "predictable" defense beat the crap out of teams and made GT look like a little league option team. KF is right, it comes down to execution. When it is there the scheme is great, when it isn't the scheme is blamed. Iowa will never be a team that beats people with flash, but when you rely on fundamentals, it really hurts when you don't execute those fundamentals as we saw a few times this year.

Also, it sucks but the reality is that Iowa will always be a few plays or a few drives between a 7-5 team or worse and a 10-2 team or better. That is the nature of the beast when you play a style that keeps everything close. The difference is that Iowa did not execute when it counted this year the way that they did most of last year.

If your scheme isn't working and your players aren't executing, then why isn't the scheme modified to suit the player's abilities? Are coaches not responsible for that?

And IA doesn't have to be a team that will always be a few plays or a few drives between a 7-5 team or worse and a 10-2 team or better. That is the nature of the beast when you play a style that keeps everything close. IA is in that situation b/c that's the choice of Ferentz - it's unequivocally NOT that IA will always be that way or they HAVE to be that way. That may have been the situation when he got here w/ the athletes he had then, but that isn't the situation now. People want to brag up the Hawkeyes in the NFL every chance they get. You'd think a team putting that many players into the NFL could run an assortment of schemes. And don't tell me IA can't blitz or play man coverages on D - you can't know that b/c IA rarely tries those things...not that they'd necessarily be successful, but if you never try, you'll never know.

Because the status quo got on OB domination and a Doak Walker award winner in the last 2 years. I am not gonna jump ship after one highly disappointing season. The same way all I here on the radio here is about Iowa being too "predictable" on defense and needing to blitz more. Last year that "predictable" defense beat the crap out of teams and made GT look like a little league option team. KF is right, it comes down to execution. When it is there the scheme is great, when it isn't the scheme is blamed. Iowa will never be a team that beats people with flash, but when you rely on fundamentals, it really hurts when you don't execute those fundamentals as we saw a few times this year.

Also, it sucks but the reality is that Iowa will always be a few plays or a few drives between a 7-5 team or worse and a 10-2 team or better. That is the nature of the beast when you play a style that keeps everything close. The difference is that Iowa did not execute when it counted this year the way that they did most of last year.

This

Exactly. Why are we consistently running the same base D with 3 LBs on the field trying to cover slot receivers all over the field with a bunch of inexperienced players and freshmen. The LB and CB depth was not optimal this year, but recruiting those positions also falls back on the coaching staff.

Coaches recruit players to fit their schemes. Look over at Texas, Mac Brown decided to go ahead and change to a more pro style offense this year, to fit his players...worked well.

Kirk has missed Ohio State 4 times in his tenure. Hayden missed them 4 times in his 20 something years here. No Rose bowls under Kirk.

Hayden has a better big ten winning percentage. "best decade" loses some of its luster when you realize there are more bowl games, more games overall and nowdays the kind of bowl you get depends a lot on how many drunks you can bring to town.

Kirk is a good coach. He's not Hayden, nor is he a great coach. Had you been sitting in the stands at OSU last year you'd understand why.

The key is the offense. As others have said, other than a couple of years, Iowa's offense has been in the bottom half of the NCAA stats.

Yet we consistently put OL, RBs, and TE into the NFL.....

No one is saying Iowa should change schemes and run a spread attack like NW, or other schools. What most of us want is a change in attitude.

That's it. No one can argue that Iowa's offense was great this year. Yes they were playing well through MSU 1st half, and then they shut it down. If losing Arob is the reason, then that's on the coaches too for leaving him in there to take that abuse.

Iowa should not have to wait every 5 years for a special player like Shonn Greene or Brad Banks to make the offense efficient. The talent was available this year, and even with Arob going out, we could have adjusted things like in 2004 to take advantage of a WR talent.

We did not, and we could only muster 200 yards of offense on MN, and we couldn't even score against IN or NW.

NW and IN have offenses that will score points, and the defense did hold them to under their average, but Iowa couldn't even break 20 against them.

That has to change.

"Iowa had the chance to win the B10 outright and our coaching staff did not go for it. I was at that game in the sliver of Iowa fans and everyone wanted to go for the win, regardless of the outcome because at least the team would have tried. When was the last time Iowa had that chance to go for the win and an outright B10 title. When will the next opportunity happen. That decision not to go for it still makes me shake my head and wonder why KF let such an opportunity go"

This is a prime example of Kirk being conservative to a fault. You don't play for overtime in somebody else's house, especially if it's the shoe. And especially when you have the momentum like we did. We lost all of it when we decided to play for overtime. And yes I know that they did not want to risk a pick 6 like we were so accustomed to and it was a RS Fresh QB, but you just have to go for it in that situation instead of playing not to lose.

If your scheme isn't working and your players aren't executing, then why isn't the scheme modified to suit the player's abilities? Are coaches not responsible for that?

And IA doesn't have to be a team that will always be a few plays or a few drives between a 7-5 team or worse and a 10-2 team or better. That is the nature of the beast when you play a style that keeps everything close. IA is in that situation b/c that's the choice of Ferentz - it's unequivocally NOT that IA will always be that way or they HAVE to be that way. That may have been the situation when he got here w/ the athletes he had then, but that isn't the situation now. People want to brag up the Hawkeyes in the NFL every chance they get. You'd think a team putting that many players into the NFL could run an assortment of schemes. And don't tell me IA can't blitz or play man coverages on D - you can't know that b/c IA rarely tries those things...not that they'd necessarily be successful, but if you never try, you'll never know.

I agree with this angle. Its not so much the schemes are bad. Its that the schemes have been figured out. You can execute perfectly but if the other team knows your plays and has your scheme figured they are going to be at the spots first. I feel like this coaching staff is a mirror image of my 7th grade basketball coaches. You run the stupid offense one time and the other team knows where your going to be every time down the floor, but the coach won't let you go away from setting the same screens and running the same cuts every single time.

Then since you can't change, the players get ******. You can't score, you lose, **** is being talked about the coaches, then there's problems within the team.

Just like with every scheme in sports or in life, the scheme only works when no one else knows what the scheme is.

Last edited:
I agree with this angle. Its not so much the schemes are bad. Its that the schemes have been figured out. You can execute perfectly but if the other team knows your plays and has your scheme figured they are going to be at the spots first.

To expand on this, the word is evolve- it's been going on for millions of years. Adapt and survive.

If something isn't working properly... fix it, change it, tweak it, make the adjustment- that's part of coaching... isn't it? Please note, this does not mean I'm calling for wholesale changes, but little adaptations to the proven system that all the "macro" supporters live to pound their chest on.

The trend over the past 5 years is what is alarming:

-- Record over past 5 years combined is mediocre; throw out 2009 and it's very poor
-- Record in close wins in 5 years is horrid; throw out 2009 it's embarrassing

I don't want Ferentz fired by any means but i'm concerned.

-- He was a great system builder; put in schemes that evened the playing field which is great when you are trying to rebuild and are outmatched by most teams. My question is have we outgrown his schemes?

-- Where is the adjustment now that we have more talent than most teams; THERE IS NO REASON TO PLAY CLOSE GAMES WITH NW, OSU, INDIANA. I would argue that Kirk has actually gotten MORE conservative with each passing year.

--Tressel is a very similar style coach, once considered MORE Conservative than Ferentz; however he loosened up the strings over the past 2-3 years and has had a lot of success. Why are we so afraid to change?

--Game Management is still a major issue; they have had plenty of years to shore up clock management and the 2-minute drill -- This is uforgivable to me.

--Tressel is a very similar style coach, once considered MORE Conservative than Ferentz; however he loosened up the strings over the past 2-3 years and has had a lot of success. Why are we so afraid to change?

What games were you watching? He looks as conservative as ever. Pryor could be another Cam Newton, but Tressel won't use him that way.

I wanted to pull a few conversations from the message boards here to the front of the site as I think there could be a theme developing that we will see a lot of this off season...I hope it doesn't turn into Hatfield's vs McCoy's...or the Stoops vs Ferentz meltdown we had for nearly two years on the first message boards I moderated related to Hawkeye athletics.

The conversation sampled below is similar to several others I have seen this week and comes from Rawhawk73 on the boards:

This "woe is us, we're just little ol' Iowa" doesn't hold water any longer. We have elite level money, elite level players, elite level facilities and elite level exposure. But only 2 shared conference titles, no National Championship appearances, and seven 5 loss teams (with two of those teams that flat out quit on the season). So if it's not money, not players, not facilities and not exposure.....what is it?

Now, I haven’t seen anyone saying ‘woe is us’ and ‘Iowa cant do great things’.

Iowa has been doing great things and is in the midst of that run. I realize this year and the disappointment of a 7-5 season stings. It stings for me, too.

But I wonder if some people have really and truly appreciated what has taken place the last decade and weren't just looking on the horizon for what's next, we want more, onward and upward, etc.

As for Iowa not having played for the national title, which was part of the post cited above....

With the exception of Virginia Tech & Tennessee, every school that has played for a BCS title had previously won a national title in either the 1970's, 1980's or 1990's. Ohio State won it in 2002, and their next most recent is 1970. So you can add them to the group of Tennessee and VT if you want to say 1980's and 1990's.

Here are the programs that have played for the BCS national title since it began in 1998, and in parenthesis, their all time rank in winning percentage in the history of the game:

Texas (3)
Ohio State (4)
Oklahoma (5)
Alabama (6)
USC (7)
Nebraska (8)
Tennessee (9)
Florida State (11)
LSU (13)
Miami (14)
Florida (15)
Virginia Tech (21)

How about them apples, huh? Interesting how it matches up pretty nicely with the history of the sport, right? So much for history and tradition not being huge factors when trying to break through to the next level as a program.

Michigan & Notre Dame are 1 and 2 in all time wining percentage, and have never played for the BCS title, nor has 10 Penn State, 12 Georgia. It's why Notre Dame has had a barrel full of coaches since their last title in the 1980's and Michigan might be looking for a new coach.

Auburn is 16th on the all time list and is line to get to the BCS title game this year. Oregon probably gets their shot and would really be the only true outlier to have ever played for a BCS title because Virginia Tech is 21st all time in winning percentage.

Iowa is 57th on this list.

Now, some will say that how Iowa fared in the 1960's and 1970's when a lot of losses mounted up does not have ANY effect on Iowa in 2010.

I don't necessarily agree and you can read the next post in this thread to see what I am talking about.

It's really good right now when you look at the last decade, yet everyone would love for it to be better and no one is happy about this year's 7-5 record.

This is where I agree with most everyone; not coming through in a year like this might not just be one step back in the effort to bang the door down to become an elite because you need to take advantage of seasons like this to keep pushing that bar. So there's no need for any arguments on this front.

Yet I see so many people seemingly ignoring the reality that Iowa is in the tier just beneath the historical elites, over the past decade.

One final thought. I read a post on Wednesday night where someone said that Iowa has the 10th most players in the NFL right now of any school in the nation, and therefore we should expect better results.

It's one of two things; either Iowa has recruited with the big boys in the sport year in and year out and is an NFL football factory because they get the best of the best, or they have an amazing eye for talent and do an even better job at turning players that few major schools want into kids that dot NFL rosters.

Having covered Iowa football recruiting for the entire Ferentz era save for this last year, but having paid attention to it, I can assure you its the latter, not the former. At best, Iowa has averaged the 5th or 6th best recruiting classes in the Big Ten over the past 10 years.

Yet no other school outside of Ohio State has more Big Ten wins than Iowa.

For those that want to see people get fired because Iowa went 7-5 this year, be sure to remember you are talking about the same people that have turned nobody's into NFL millionaires and people that have built Iowa into a Top 15 program in the sport, despite the challenges they face that the aristocracy of the sport do not have to deal with.

Jon, in so many words, you have been saying "woe is us". Everytime Iowa disappoints, you basically pull the "We're Iowa, not Michigan" card and bring up Iowa's history. As if, everyone involved shouldn't aspire to a better program. With all the money that has been put into this program, people have higher expectations than 7-5. And, especially when some of those losses are the result of poor coaching decisions, people are going to be upset. If you want to be part of that UM tradition, go with your buddy Deace and start a UM site.

Latest posts