Miller / Deace this morning

I wish, check out our record at Mi. They may blow but the beat us 2 times and clobbered us at Mi.

Give me a coach like Rex Ryan that walks in and says.. boys our goal is the National Champs.

NO Goals NO Glory..

I wonder if Deace believes half the stuff that comes out of his mouth. He was screaming today that Iowa is an embarassment and the worst team in the history of the Big10 despite the fact they are going to finish ahead of 2 teams in the conference this year.

I don't know why John didn't respectfully point out that Iowa has more conference wins than ISU this year.

I didn't think Deace was trying to stop the Hawks from being discussed I think he was just saying to Miller, c'mon you are this optimistic after losing to a bad Michigan team at home. If you would have lost to Purdue that way or MSU then that would be a different story.

Pay attention now. Jon saying the Hawks could sniff the NIT next year is hardly what one would call overly optimistic. An improvement yes, but not that big of a deal.

Also, Deace said the Hawkeyes should not have been within 20 pts of the Wolvers last night and that Lick had them playing harder than the fans deserved. Deace can be a big baby at the drop of a hat. That is a big part of what makes him fun to listen to.

I think an NIT bid is not crazy to talk about for next year. I think Deace is so unhappy about ISU's disappointing season that he has to make himself feel better by keeping the Hawks down in his own mind..

I wish, check out our record at Mi. They may blow but the beat us 2 times and clobbered us at Mi.

Give me a coach like Rex Ryan that walks in and says.. boys our goal is the National Champs.

NO Goals NO Glory..

Actually,Iowa won at Michigan the two times before this year. Crisler Arena is one of those places teams come in and win ,at least Iowa.

Sims is a senior and Harris will likely go pro.

I may not remember everything the way Jon said it but something along the lines of we will be on the edge of getting into the tourney next year. Are you just trying to be positive or do you really think that? I have been trying to think how that could happen next year and can not come up with any way that is possible.

This may be the case if the core group of starters stays and the incoming class is as good as advertised (rarely the case) and can step in right away (also rarely the case).

However, I have this really sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that there are going to be some key defections at the end of the season that will take us back two or three steps. At that point I don't think Barta has any choice but to step in and make a change.

I hope I am very wrong.

Iowa should have a shot at the NIT tourney next year because only Bawinkle graduates, all starters return, and significant depth will be added. Additionally, looking at current Big Ten starting lineups, below is a good reason to be excited for the 2011-2012 basketball season:

Illinois
DJ Richardson (Jr) add: Paul,Bertrand,Richmond,Crane,Leonard...we will not be beating the illini for a long time,sadly...these are all top50 players

Indiana
Tom Pritchard (Sr) Add to that Maurice Creek, top frosh scorer in the country before he went down with injury in Dec. and two top 125 players coming next year.
Christian Watford (Jr)
Verdell Jones III (Sr)
Jordan Hulls (Jr)

Iowa
Cully Payne (Jr)
Matt Gatens (Sr)
Eric May (Jr)
Aaron Fuller (Sr)

Michigan
Stu Douglas (Sr)
Zack Novak (Sr)
Darius Morris (Jr)

Michigan State
Delvon Roe (Sr) add Kory Luscious,garrick sherman,and a top 10 class next year...
Derrick Nix (Jr)

Minnesota
Ralph Sampson III (Sr) add Colt iverson, reggie cobbs,Willaims,and possibly top ten recruit in josephs bro...
Devoe Joseph (Sr)

Northwestern
Drew Crawford (Jr)
Luka Mirkovic (Sr)
John Shurna (Sr)

Ohio State
William Buford (Sr) Add the #1 recruitng class in the country next year with #2 Sullinger and #6 Thomas...and 3 others in top 50...
Penn State
Chris Babb (Sr)

Purdue
Kelsey Barlow (Sr), add lewjack,dj bryd,Bade,and good recruits.

Wisconsin
Jordan Taylor (Sr)
add Bergrenn,Wilson,Evans, and some good recruits.

Just because teams are not starting sophs this year does not mean they do not have very good sophs sitting and learning...behind very good upperclassmen.

This may be the case if the core group of starters stays and the incoming class is as good as advertised (rarely the case) and can step in right away (also rarely the case).

However, I have this really sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that there are going to be some key defections at the end of the season that will take us back two or three steps. At that point I don't think Barta has any choice but to step in and make a change.

I hope I am very wrong.

Hope so too, Tweeter. I get the same feeling from time to time but the "sniff NIT" feeling seems more likely right now. Not sure why....

At this point.. Iowa would beat ISU right now. If Iowa returns all of their core players.. they could be a very solid team depending on where our recruits fall into the puzzle. I just pray everybody comes back.

Based on losing to a 12-12 team at home? Certainly Iowa could beat ISU but ISU could just as easily beat Iowa. Like it matters. :(

I wonder if Deace believes half the stuff that comes out of his mouth. He was screaming today that Iowa is an embarassment and the worst team in the history of the Big10 despite the fact they are going to finish ahead of 2 teams in the conference this year.

I don't know why John didn't respectfully point out that Iowa has more conference wins than ISU this year.

No kidding, Deace is such an Iowa hater but tries to act like he isnt an Iowa hater - those are the worst kind of Iowa haters! If Jon said ISU is an embarrassment and the worst team in the history of the Big 12 Deace's head would explode

I heard it this morning and I thought Jon was getting a little ticked off although he seemed to want to avoid the direct confrontation. It really hasn't seemed like Steve is that upset over ISU being as bad as they are.
One thing I don't think anyone could disagree with is Iowa is much better than they were when the season started. Iowa State looks like they might actually be worse. ISU almost has the feel of the Michigan team with Sims and Harris and Brackens and Gilstrap being much better than anyone Iowa could put on the court but as a complete team they look totally disfunctional.

Oh, and I forgot the other thing than Deace said. Iowa needs to get a point guard and basically saying that they have no chance with Payne as their point guard. He said it several times and Jon countered with "He's quicker than he looks" That's possibly true but I thought Cully had his best game last night so there should have been plenty more Jon could have said, or not. I suppose he's overdoing it when he's trying to stay neutral. That's understandable.

Not sure what they said this morning......woke up about 8.

I do subscribe to the Deace theory of it is going to take 2 or 3 years of sustained winning just to get the program where it was when Alford left.

Of course it will, but that is strictly froms a wins and losses standpoint. If Lickliter is still here in 3 years, he'll have turned it around and nobody will care how the first 3 years went.

+1 I usually don't disagree with what Deace has to say, or get upset by it, but to say that Iowa BBall is the worst in the history of the Big Ten? Come on.

On the show this morning Jon was trying to say some positive things about bball and Deace was in total disagreement with him. Sorry Jon, but I was in total agreement with Deace, "call it what it is."

I may not remember everything the way Jon said it but something along the lines of we will be on the edge of getting into the tourney next year. Are you just trying to be positive or do you really think that? I have been trying to think how that could happen next year and can not come up with any way that is possible.

All Jon was saying was that next year's team could contend for an NIT bid and although sad, it's what we're dealing with as a positive at this point...and all Deace was trying to do was pi$$ Jon off about his team since Steve is mired in rooting for TWO "Iowa States"...it must be frustrating for Steve to have 4 NBA players between his 2 teams and a .500 record to show for it...Steve has great takes on alot of subjects and he's one of the reasons I started listening to sports talk radio in the first place, back on "The Jock", but this morning was nothing but "kick Iowa because I'm bitter about my teams".

No kidding, Deace is such an Iowa hater but tries to act like he isnt an Iowa hater - those are the worst kind of Iowa haters! If Jon said ISU is an embarrassment and the worst team in the history of the Big 12 Deace's head would explode

The former about deace being a Iowa hater maybe, maybe not......but the latter is definitely true.

I heard it this morning and I thought Jon was getting a little ticked off although he seemed to want to avoid the direct confrontation. It really hasn't seemed like Steve is that upset over ISU being as bad as they are.
One thing I don't think anyone could disagree with is Iowa is much better than they were when the season started. Iowa State looks like they might actually be worse. ISU almost has the feel of the Michigan team with Sims and Harris and Brackens and Gilstrap being much better than anyone Iowa could put on the court but as a complete team they look totally disfunctional.

I agree... I believe we are much improved from the beginning of the season. ISU has gone the other direction (although admittedly I don't watch any of their games save one, but do see the scores/record/standings as they scroll by on ESPNews and Sportscenter).

Oh, and I forgot the other thing than Deace said. Iowa needs to get a point guard and basically saying that they have no chance with Payne as their point guard. He said it several times and Jon countered with "He's quicker than he looks" That's possibly true but I thought Cully had his best game last night so there should have been plenty more Jon could have said, or not. I suppose he's overdoing it when he's trying to stay neutral. That's understandable.

I think Cully has made some significant strides this season especially lately in his ability to run the offense and cut down his turnovers. But I also think that he was put into a difficult situation starting as a freshman in the BT on this Iowa team. I don't have any problems with him as our future point guard, just wish he was coming in off the bench for a couple of years to get his experience...

Latest posts