Miller: A Revealing Loss in Ames

This game reminded me of the NW game last year. It seems the 2nd qt to mid-3rd quarter Iowa's play-calling was way to predictable and never tried to exploit the mis-match our WRs had.

Most will look at the end of the game as did with the NW game, but like last years NW game, Iowa did nothing offensively and the play calls were way too predictable in th middle of the game as well.

The reality is that Iowa doesn't have the talent they've had the past couple of years.
They just don't, especially on defense.

I'd say this is a 6 win team

While many of you are ready to write this team off, I think it's a mistake. Let's be honest ISU wanted this game more than we did and it's something that I'm sure has been circled on their calendar for months. I think we went in thinking it's just another game but it was their superbowl. Let's also be honest that it was a game that could have been won just as easily as it was lost. That said, we've definitely got a lot of work to do, but I'm not willing to give it up yet. Then again, losses are definitely only good as a learning experience in the event changes are going to be made to fix the mistakes (both mental and physical) and although there's no doubt the coaches will do what they can to fix the mistakes on the field, I'm not so sure that they're willing to accept or do anything about the mistakes they make in terms of coaching philosophy and play calling.
Shouldn't of went to OT...they should of won outright easily...minus the turnovers. We are very poor defensive team...UNI ran at will against this team...and UNI penetrated ISU's line at will also.

Jon- if they truly had 8 guys in the box for 2/3 of the game we should have thrown for 350. BUT the supposed best OL in the B1G didn't give Vandy time and we couldn't run either. For a supposed strength and advantage, I was very disappointed.

Our wide receivers are about 9" taller than their CBs. Iowa took advantage of this only a couple of times. What's up with our TE's? Fiedorowicz had the only catch.

Predictably, the chicken littles are coming out in droves. It's the second game of the season, people! I'm not saying I don't have concerns - 'cuz I do - but I also trust that this staff teaches on the fly better than probably any other coaching staff in the country.

Did anyone actually think this was a 12-0 team after losing so many starters and numerous guys to the NFL? If you were thinking "12-0", you were drinking some really strong Kool-Aid.

Don't read too much into this game. If anything, you should probably read LESS into this game than any other game, because it is such an emotional rivalry game - if the last 10+ years of this series has taught us anything, it's that this series is nutty as heck.

I see some pretty serious concerns with the DL and the defensive backfield. I'm expecting improvement throughout the year, but even if they do improve significantly this is not going to be one of the all time great Iowa D's. We should probably go ahead and make peace with this fact right now. No amount of purple faced raging at the TV is going to make that any different, so just deal with it. Given where our losses were off of last year's D, the DL and DBs are exactly where we should expect a drop off.

The offense I'm truthfully not all that worried about, so I'm not going to micro-analyze or fret over it. I really think all we are missing at this point is rhythm. All the component pieces for a really effective offense are there - things just seem to be a half-step out of synch right now. I would be willing to bet a fair amount of $$$ that at some point it's gonna click and these guys will move the ball very nicely for us. The question is, at what point will that happen - we can hope sooner than later, because I think our final W/L totals hinge on that "click" happening.

Given this schedule, I think 8 wins is a very doable number. Given who we are trying to replace this year, I would feel very happy with 8 wins.

Iowa has some talent in the passing game. They have a good offensive line. They had several one one one opportunities today but they kept running the ball into eight man fronts. They will continue to see those eight man fronts this year, and aggressive defensive calls.

That will happen until they torch defenses through the air and make them pay for that approach, and even then it may not back off totally because teams are not going to fear Iowa’s defense this year. For the first time in a long time, teams will see that they can score on Iowa, so if they take more chances on defense and get burnt occasionally, it’s not going to hurt as much as it has in recent years against the Hawkeyes.

This. When the run stopped working, I don't know why KOK and KF didn't go to a pass-first oriented offense. Make the Clone defense pay big time. We have the QB who can toss it and the receivers who by and large can beat man coverage; why not exploit that?

Baffling.

Thank you, Jon! No more kool-aid! This team is just not that good, YET. If they can work and improve we can have a decent season.

Next week will tell a lot, if not all.
(4th week game is a throwaway).

Didn't like bye week before the start of the league games, but now, I'm glad for it.

Next week will tell.

One of the big things that stuck out to me, and I don't know if it is true or not, but the announcer said Iowa had 20 walkons in the 2 deeps. That is not good at all, especially if we are supposed to be recruiting at such a high level. How does that happen?

For me I'm very disappointed in the DL. We all knew it wasn't going to be close to last year, but there was never a push and if there was they couldn't bring Jantz down. Poor tackling as well every where.

It doesn't bode well that we never saw another RB in the game, Coker can't do that all year. Vandy looked bad. Hard to believe he got outplayed by Jantz when it was Jantz's first big game, but he definitely did in a big way. I thought the secondary was fine, but no pass rush will kill you.

I know people will blast me for this, but Norm has to make changes. His scheme only works with good DL and we don't ahve that this year. Something has to change because most teams are not going back to a pro style offense. That's one thing this staff doesn't do and adjust well.

The announcers kept saying that Iowa always does the same thing and how great it is. It's not great when it gives up nearly 500 yards to ISU.

something doesn't seem right with coker whether he is dinged or has lost confidence he's a step slower and not reading zone lanes very well im sure the fumbles have a part in it

... I'm sure has been circled on their calendar for months. I think we went in thinking it's just another game but it was their superbowl.

This talk is ridiculous. You don't think this game means anything to the Iowa players? Yeah, you're probably right. No biggie that we lost then. Right?

I am watching the Nebraska game and it was nice to see Nebraska not sit on the clock at the end of the 1st half. I think they had 30 some seconds to work with and 1 timeout. They got within a 62 yd field goal and they thought about trying it but instead threw for the endzone to end the half. The point is they went for it and tried for a score. Martinez got picked off in the endzone but no harm done. They took the shot... This is what the Hawks need to do!

On a side note...
The B1G is the worst it has EVER been.
It is flat out terrible football.

This conference is being left behind. If you don't think so you have blinders on.

I don't know what the answers are but this league is a laughing stock & rightfully so.

The most disappionting thing about this game was the tackling. They looked like pop warner kids trying to tackle. Also the lack of any fire in the team or coaches. This is unacceptable.

Were was the 3/4 D today. Thought they might go to it to have a spy on Jantz??? KF said they might run it more this year. If were not going to get a pass rush we might as well play 3 DL and have extra DB or OLB to stop running QBs.

Latest posts